C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

700r4 wiring 5 pin to 4 pin

Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 PM
vetteracer92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 700r4 wiring 5 pin to 4 pin

seems that every where I look, when asking about going from a 5 pin connector to a 4 pin connector, there is no answer. my 92 came with 5 pins for the lockup, and I need to wire it for a 4 pin on the new tranny. can some one tell me how to wire it correctly?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I have an '89 700r4 in my car. It has a 4 pin connector. One of the pins is blocked off so you can't connect anything to it.

My wire harness (stock) has two wires going to the connector. One is for the torque converter lockup solenoid. The other lockup solenoid wire is connected to ground inside the transmission, so that pin is not used. The second wire is for the 4th gear pressure switch, which tells the ECM that the transmission is in overdrive.

I don't know what the other wires might be for. I do know that later transmissions have an oil temperature sensor in them, but I don't know when they started doing that. I think there were also more pressure switches in later transmissions.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
My wire harness (stock) has two wires going to the connector.
I don't know what the other wires might be for.
In stock 3 wire config;
power goes into trans ( to the TCC solenoid ) on purple ? wire and is grounded back at the ECM via the tan / blk wire
Blue wire as you note is 4th gear switch

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The other lockup solenoid wire is connected to ground inside the transmission,
In that case you must be using some other means of controlling the TCC;
if solenoid is grounded at trans incoming wire has to be switched somewhere?
or the solenoid is grounded through the 4th gear switch giving auto lockup in 4th gear ( only )

Last edited by rodj; 04-20-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:11 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is the wiring diagram from my 93 book showing pressure switches for 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. The FSM indicates the ECM uses the 2nd and 3rd gear switches to adjust timing after a shift also stating that by so doing higher shift points are possible.

Based on that statement I suspect you will not be able to use a 4 wire valve body without some loss of performance and you may see the check engine light for DTC 72, gear selector switch circuit unless you have a chip burned to eliminate the code.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:04 AM
0MADDOGLOU
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please contact me for a professional consultation regarding your needs. We are happy to provide you with references both here in the United States and Internationally. Be sure to check out our website at maddogtransmissions.com

Hear what our customers and fans say on our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions

We also accept orders over the phone. Be sure to contact us and we will recommend the correct transmission for your application. For your convenience, we accept PayPal and all major credit and debit cards.

If you prefer, we can call you personally, just e-mail us your phone number.

All our transmissions are very strong and reliable, and can be used for everyday driving. Extended warranties are also available.

Thank You,
"Mad Dog" Lou

Mad Dog Transmissions
Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter: www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube: www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions

Get notified of new replies

To 700r4 wiring 5 pin to 4 pin

Search this Thread