C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"service column lock"

Old 04-23-2012, 04:39 PM
jlbsam
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Default "service column lock"

Ok, i've done the "search" and am even more confused than before. I've had my 99 6sp for about one year. i just got the "column lock" message a day ago. i've checked out the bypass kit,but not sure if i need it.

now here's where i'm confused. if i turn off the car, and take out the key, shouldn't the steering wheel lock up? mine doesn't, which leads me to believe that some kind of bypass was installed prior to my getting the car. Can someone please shed some light on this subject for me?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:01 PM
absolutscharf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can have the problem even though the recall was already done and the column doesn't lock anymore, yet the BCM still believes there's a problem. Happened to me 3 times post-recall, the last time last week. Installed an LMC5 (http://complianceparts.com/lmc5description.html), problem solved.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

If the column does not lock with the key removed there is a bypass kit of somekind installed.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM
jlbsam
Racer

if that's the case, then why the message and how do i get rid of it? i just looked at the codes and deleted them, and am still getting the "column lick" message
Old 04-23-2012, 05:34 PM
jlbsam
Racer

got rid of the message. un-hooked the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes, and that did it!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM
absolutscharf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will come back, and when you need it the least. Put a bypass or LMC5 on it and take care of the problem once and for all.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 PM
jlbsam
Racer

I drove the car for two days with the message showing. no problems.....I never got the 2 mph shutoff. i also never got the "pull key" message. lastly, my battery is a delco from a dealer that's less than one year old and the terminals are clean.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:21 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbsam
Ok, i've done the "search" and am even more confused than before. I've had my 99 6sp for about one year. i just got the "column lock" message a day ago. i've checked out the bypass kit,but not sure if i need it.

now here's where i'm confused. if i turn off the car, and take out the key, shouldn't the steering wheel lock up? mine doesn't, which leads me to believe that some kind of bypass was installed prior to my getting the car. Can someone please shed some light on this subject for me?
I had the exact same issue last fall. The column would not lock and an error message appeared on the DIC. No fuel shutoff and I would just hit the reset button to clear the DIC. Parked the car for the winter and my Deka lightweight battery died. Stone cold dead. Bought a new Deka this spring and the service column lock issue is resolved. No message on the DIC and the column now locks with the key out.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:59 AM
cousin vinny
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"corvettes of houston" claims to have the column lock problem for C6 vettes solved. They sell the "column lock eliminator" for $89.95 plus shipping. U-tube shows a simple installation a 12 year old can do. I ordered it and hope I won't have to hire a 12 year old to install it. Let's see what happens.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:13 AM
gunga68
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We (the wife and I) have a '99 vert with the MN6 and have only seen the "remove key and wait 10 second" message once. Based on your experience and recommendation, I just ordered the LMC5.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Dr. Mordo
5th Gear

I had the column lock problem last week in my 99. It'd had both recalls performed, so the 2 mph shut off was the problem. I put in a new, fully charged, oversized battery. Still not working. I disconnected the K harness as they apparently fail. No luck.

I suspect the problem is the column lock actuator itself.

Anyway, the LMC5 came yesterday. Installed in 25 mins using the very thorough illustrated instructions. Completely fixed.

So, allow me to pile on and say the LMC5 is a fantastic product. I've read where people say just keep a strong battery in there and you'll be fine with the recalls and no bypass, but after my experience, I don't believe it.

Last edited by Dr. Mordo; 08-19-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Dr. Mordo
5th Gear

Update: about a month after I posted the above post, the 'pull key and wait' msg came back.

It happens the first time I put the key in the ignition for the day. I pull the key, wait 2-3 seconds, and then fire it up. If I don't wait long enough, it throws the 'service column lock' msg when I put the key in. I can't just ignore the msgs because the 2 mph cutoff is still a problem.

It's driveable, and I've had another problem vehicle, so I've let it go for now. I figure my next step is to check the electrical system to see how much the draw is when the car's sitting. It's a new battery, but figure maybe something is dragging the battery down which is creating gremlins. Then if that's a dead end, I may bypass the resistor in the key. Finally as a last ditch effort I guess I could go ahead and replace the column lock. Any advice is welcome.

But it turns out the LMC5 isn't a magical cure after all.

Get notified of new replies

To "service column lock"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "service column lock"