Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windsheild broken need to remove stickers

Old 10-06-2008, 03:33 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Windsheild broken need to remove stickers

My windshield is broken and I am putting a new one in. What is the best way to remove the regi and inspection stickers to put on the new one.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Lowcash
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had luck using blue or green painters tape.

Cover the stickers with blue or green painters tape and slowly scraping the sticker off the window. It should come off in 1 piece and you can re-apply it to new windshield.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:44 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,188 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Check with the place that will be doing the window replacement. They may have something that will take the stickers off in one piece (some kind of decal remover). Or, see what your state's policy is on replacement stickers - it may cost a few bucks but they just might reissue you a new one.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:53 AM
10U 99
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

most state issued decals are affixed with permanent type adhesives to discourage transfer for obvious reasons. some have void features to make it impossible without destroying the decal. if the decal is removed in one piece re-affixing to the new glass will be a challenge unless you use something like scotch tape
Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

I believe here in Mass. they have a replacement sticker for the inspection, but we don't have any reg stickers.
The glass company will know.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:49 AM
brntstauf
Intermediate

I have seen a few cars around where the owner went as far as to cut out the section of glass where the stickers are, place some tape around the sharp edges, then just lay the glass and stickers on the dash of the car untill the next inspection rolls around. I guess it could be a last resort option if all else fails......
Old 10-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Z28Johnny
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess that you can get a replacement from your DMV. If you bring in the receipt of your new windshield. There is no way they expect you to remove the decals and re affix them to a new one. I'm sure the stickers are the kind that aren't meant to come off in one piece to deter thieves from taking them off of your vehicle. Call your DMV I'm sure they can give you the low down.

John
Old 10-06-2008, 08:53 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 10U 99
most state issued decals are affixed with permanent type adhesives to discourage transfer for obvious reasons. some have void features to make it impossible without destroying the decal. if the decal is removed in one piece re-affixing to the new glass will be a challenge unless you use something like scotch tape
Most certainly they have a replacement policy,,just find out what kind of documentation they require!!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:14 AM
NIKDSC5
Burning Brakes

wow wow wow. If you really want to avoid the hassle of the replace ment sticker proceedure and the windshield is already broke this is an easy task. All you need is a propane hand held torch. Heat up the out side of the glass above the sticker. If you are really good like most window installer should be you can remove the sticker with out it saying void accross it or ruining the glass. Since there are two layers of glass and plastic, and a basic knowledge if you get the glass too hot it will break..... anyway heat up the glass good and hot since the windshield is already broke and the sticker will peel off like butter and be able to be stick back onto the new window easily! this is also how my winter beater has never been inspected gotta love junk yard cars
Old 10-06-2008, 11:18 AM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Window Stickers

Hi in this neck of the woods, one of two methods are usually used. Either take the chunk of glass with the stickers attached and place it on the dash under the window area where the stickers would be untill next inspection period, or take the car in for a reinspection, which you will have to pay for.
Good Luck
Old 10-06-2008, 07:32 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
wow wow wow. If you really want to avoid the hassle of the replace ment sticker proceedure and the windshield is already broke this is an easy task. All you need is a propane hand held torch. Heat up the out side of the glass above the sticker. If you are really good like most window installer should be you can remove the sticker with out it saying void accross it or ruining the glass. Since there are two layers of glass and plastic, and a basic knowledge if you get the glass too hot it will break..... anyway heat up the glass good and hot since the windshield is already broke and the sticker will peel off like butter and be able to be stick back onto the new window easily! this is also how my winter beater has never been inspected gotta love junk yard cars

Thanks thats what I needed to know.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:23 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Flat razor blade + googone or non-acitone nail polish remover.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:18 PM
robert123
Drifting

A scraper with a new razor blade should get it off in one piece.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You mean you go to a junkyard and tell them you need a insp sticker and they let you take it off?? what do they charge?? they have no problem with that?? what if you use the torch method and the windshield breaks?WOW i need to do that.
sorry for all the questrions
Old 04-19-2012, 07:45 AM
enotzkie
4th Gear

Originally Posted by brntstauf
I have seen a few cars around where the owner went as far as to cut out the section of glass where the stickers are, place some tape around the sharp edges, then just lay the glass and stickers on the dash of the car untill the next inspection rolls around. I guess it could be a last resort option if all else fails......

Yeah, Good Idea... but you can use a Liquid solution to remove the stickers without damage.. and then after put it to your new glass..
Old 04-19-2012, 08:54 AM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

i was getting a window replaced and the guy soaked the stickers by spraying fantastic cleaner on them several times....then new razor on scraper
Old 04-19-2012, 09:30 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is what my glass guy does for me.

The junkyard idea sounds like more trouble than it's worth besides I wouldn't want to drive anything that won't pass. But to each their own I guess. I just hope I'm not in front of you if your brakes fail.

Get notified of new replies

To Windsheild broken need to remove stickers

Old 04-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it right, just get new stickers. If you remove the old ones and they don't look legit when placed on the new windshield you will get moving tickets for improper display and/or when parked a meter maid will give ya a parking ticket for improper display. Not worth the $100 or so dollars for the combined parking tickets. Don't know the moving fine anymore.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:20 AM
enotzkie
4th Gear

Originally Posted by enotzkie
Yeah, Good Idea... but you can use a Liquid solution to remove the stickers without damage.. and then after put it to your new glass..

Liquid Solution like
  • Lysol
  • Clorox
  • BabyGanics

or any bathroom cleaner
Old 04-24-2012, 03:28 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jewjenk
Do it right, just get new stickers. If you remove the old ones and they don't look legit when placed on the new windshield you will get moving tickets for improper display and/or when parked a meter maid will give ya a parking ticket for improper display. Not worth the $100 or so dollars for the combined parking tickets. Don't know the moving fine anymore.

You won't get a ticket. The officer will just run your car and see it is legit.

Maybe people don't have the time or extra money to go and get the new stickers. I had my windshield replaced and the stickers put back on and haven't had any problems in 7 months.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windsheild broken need to remove stickers