C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering is extremely sensitive at highway speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 AM
brrymnvette
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Steering is extremely sensitive at highway speeds?

I just put a new steering rack on my car about a month ago and ever since, the steering has been extremely sensitive at higher speeds. Am I just imagining things, or is it supposed to be this way?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rack and pinion, twitch and you are in a ditch,

Also check tire pressures, if above 30lbs, will effect steering response. Did you take off the air dam? Front end could be lifting causing light front end at high speeds = quick steering.............
Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by brrymnvette
I just put a new steering rack on my car about a month ago and ever since, the steering has been extremely sensitive at higher speeds. Am I just imagining things, or is it supposed to be this way?
Are you sure you hooked up the magnasteer connection when changed the rack? Check your codes using the dic. Interesting post by Bill Dearborn in this thread.
"When there is no electrical input to the Magnasteer it will default to a higher boost steering setting so the steering can be turned when parking the car. How did you check the codes? Using the DIC or using an OBD scanner. The codes are ABS codes since Magnasteer gets its inputs from the EBCM so you need to use the DIC or a scanner that can read ABS codes."

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...r-failing.html
Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 AM
brrymnvette
Drifting

I checked the codes with a scanner. But I didn't check any ABS codes. I'll do that and see what I find. Thanks, that's the type of info I was looking for.

And yes, I did plug back in the connection. I actually did it a couple times now thinking that may have been my problem.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Ultra_Miner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know, but when I bought mine a couple months ago, I drove it 1400 miles from Vegas and the front end seemed touchy, skitish. I got a front alingment and she's solid as a rock now. Night and day difference.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 AM
brrymnvette
Drifting

Yeah, I thought about that too, but I've had it on the rack 5 times to check, and recheck, and recheck.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

[QUOTE=brrymnvette;1580544402]I checked the codes with a scanner. But I didn't check any ABS codes. I'll do that and see what I find. Thanks, that's the type of info I was looking for.

The best scanner to use is the one that came with the car. It will display all the codes. Here's how: http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check ALIGNMENT. Among other things, close to "0" toe will cause this type of symptom (darting).
Old 04-13-2012, 03:13 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by PhilsFRC
Check ALIGNMENT. Among other things, close to "0" toe will cause this type of symptom (darting).
I'm thinking not enough Caster. The caster should be in the 6.5* to 7.5* range.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:20 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That too. He needs a good four wheel alignment and I would bet his issues go away.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
I'm thinking not enough Caster. The caster should be in the 6.5* to 7.5* range.
True, but the OP changed the rack, which, I believe, does not require removal of the lower a-arms, therefore, the caster shouldn't have changed.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:46 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
True, but the OP changed the rack, which, I believe, does not require removal of the lower a-arms, therefore, the caster shouldn't have changed.
I thought of that very thing too, but he never said what all was removed, dismantled, or replaced in addition to just the rack.

Either way, I agree with PFRC, he at least needs a good 4-wheel alignment for starters.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:56 AM
brrymnvette
Drifting

I just got back from the shop. I tested the entire system and it's the VES sensor. Guess I'm pulling the rack back out and trying to get it replaced under the warranty from the vendor.

Alignment has been done boys, I know it's spot on b/c I did it myself. One of the benefits of having a fully equiped repair shop at my disposal.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:12 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by brrymnvette
I just got back from the shop. I tested the entire system and it's the VES sensor. Guess I'm pulling the rack back out and trying to get it replaced under the warranty from the vendor.

Alignment has been done boys, I know it's spot on b/c I did it myself. One of the benefits of having a fully equiped repair shop at my disposal.
post your alignment measurements.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 PM
brrymnvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by SaberD
post your alignment measurements.

They are the factory Z06 alignment specs. Nothing special. If you really want, I can go hook the alignment rack back up this week and take a picture of the readings, just to satisfy your curiosity.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:54 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

when I ran a Z06 alignment my car WAS darty...recently went back to the standard coupe alignment specs and the car is quieted down...I like it a lot better, a lot more confidence now behind the wheel.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering is extremely sensitive at highway speeds?

Quick Reply: Steering is extremely sensitive at highway speeds?