C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking my Corvette

Old 04-10-2012, 01:05 PM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Tracking my Corvette

I am going to be tracking my car for the 1st time this coming weekend. It's an '08 coupe Z51. I've just put on new tires (Michelin A/S) and would like some advise. I bought these particular tires because the car is my DD and being in Philadelphia the weather can sometimes be a little interesting (even though this winter was pretty mild). My concern is that I know that the Pilot tires are better for tracking but will I have any problems or tearing up this tires on the track. The track by the way is a road course (3 miles-14 turns).
Any help or warning are appreciated
Old 04-10-2012, 01:25 PM
ROC OUT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDPD23
I am going to be tracking my car for the 1st time this coming weekend. It's an '08 coupe Z51. I've just put on new tires (Michelin A/S) and would like some advise. I bought these particular tires because the car is my DD and being in Philadelphia the weather can sometimes be a little interesting (even though this winter was pretty mild). My concern is that I know that the Pilot tires are better for tracking but will I have any problems or tearing up this tires on the track. The track by the way is a road course (3 miles-14 turns).
Any help or warning are appreciated
You should be fine, IMO. I tracked my car ('07 Coupe M6 with Z51) twice (13 turn road courses) with the stock Goodyear Supercar F1 tires. After a one day event and just learning to drive, the Supercars showed significant wear. But, the Supercars are predominantly tract tires with softer rubber/tread than an AS tire like your MIchelins. I suspect that what you give up in traction on the track with your Michelins you gain a longer wearing tire for the street.

Have fun and bring your Vette home in the same condition it was in when you drove it out to the track!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:10 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Go to the AX/RR section and you will find all the info you need for your first track day. There are numerous "1st Time at the Track" threads with plenty of good advice. It is the most legal fun you can have in your car. I am off the Rd Atl this weekend for 2 days of pure adrenaline.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a comprehensive long-track list, but a good start.

Change brake fluid to GOOD DOT4 like Motul or ATE super blue with a high boiling point.

Change oil. I add 1/2 a quart of oil to help prevent starvation. No empirical data, just something I do.

Check your suspension and ensure end links, bushings, and shocks are in good shape.

SA2005 or newer Helmet, good fitting shoes with a small footprint, and gloves (let someone kid you about using gloves...the first time your hand slips mid turn, you'll never NOT use them. Keep your seatbelt tight. With our stock seats, you are going to divot your driver side speaker grille when you start pushing it.

Good non-ceramic pads. Carbotech XP8 are fantastic for starting out.

Bring a tire gauge. Pressures are important.

LISTEN TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR, WATCH YOUR MIRRORS, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD.

Have fun!

Last edited by TNTC4VETTE; 04-10-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-10-2012, 04:02 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE
Change oil. I add 1/2 a quart of oil to help prevent starvation. No empirical data, just something I do.
The operator's manual supports this by saying keep the oil level at or near 1 quart above the top line for racing events.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:25 PM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Guys!! Really appreciate all the pointers and especially the encouragement of having fun. I'll let you all know how it goes
Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Thanks Guys!! Really appreciate all the pointers and especially the encouragement of having fun. I'll let you all know how it goes
5/5/12 will be my 1st track day also... good luck
Old 04-10-2012, 05:59 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sallen619
The operator's manual supports this by saying keep the oil level at or near 1 quart above the top line for racing events.
Originally Posted by sallen619

5/5/12 will be my 1st track day also... good luck
Prepare to be hooked. There is nothing more fun to do with a car than what you're about to do. If you think owning a Vette brings a SEG, wait till you drive it on a track.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:56 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE
Prepare to be hooked. There is nothing more fun to do with a car than what you're about to do. If you think owning a Vette brings a SEG, wait till you drive it on a track.

Ok...I'm hooked!!! LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Tracking my Corvette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tracking my Corvette