Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Service Active handling Recall

Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Service Active handling Recall

I am now getting the "service active handling" message on my dic everytime I start the car. I heard there was a recall on this, but it seems that every Chevy dealership I call can't find anything with my VIN and even worse, can't find anything at all about an active handling message recall in their system. I have an 06 Z06 build date Jan/06. Telescoping steering wheel 2lz. What gives??!! Is the recall expired? Was it not for the Z06?!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,541 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

It is still active as far as I can tell. I just got a notification about two weeks ago from the Chevy dealer for my 2006 Z06. I still haven't done it because I've never had the message appear and I don't use the telescoping wheel since I'm the only one who drives it. (the movement of the tele wheel has some relationship to causing the wires to frray inside the column, triggering the message). I also have no faith in the dealers. I would get it done if the message appeared since it can affect your steering/active handling.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Ok so it is for Z06s. But on the NHTSAs website, when you select z06 model, the only recall that it shows is for the roof. But when you select the base model, the active handling is listed as a recall. Also, my VIN didn't show any recalls pertaining to it. I have memory seats, telescoping steering wheel, Jan 06 build date, 2LZ package. What gives? Do I not have the right steering wheel column?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 AM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I have an 06 Z06 and had the steering wheel column clip installed through the recall. Didnt work. Got the sah message and dealer installed steering wheel position sensor which did work but not covered under recall even though it is a safety issue and should be covered.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:10 AM
ltdodge
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same issue 6 months ago on my 08 z06. i took it to the dealer and got hosed $225.00

its a TSB for the z06 but not a recall
Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 97Black
I have an 06 Z06 and had the steering wheel column clip installed through the recall. Didnt work. Got the sah message and dealer installed steering wheel position sensor which did work but not covered under recall even though it is a safety issue and should be covered.
How much is a new swps?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

My notification for my 06 Z was a Safety recall notification. Should be done at no cost to you. Unfortunately, if the dealers aren't aware of the situation how likely is it that they will perform the "fix" properly? Isn't there a DIY in the sticky somewhere that some have had success with?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by capevettes
My notification for my 06 Z was a Safety recall notification. Should be done at no cost to you. Unfortunately, if the dealers aren't aware of the situation how likely is it that they will perform the "fix" properly? Isn't there a DIY in the sticky somewhere that some have had success with?
Can you do me a favor and let me know which car you have, 1lz or 2lz and your build date? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
can you do me a favor and let me know which car you have, 1lz or 2lz and your build date? Thanks.
2lz. 10/06. #6699.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Before you blindly go replacing things you should make sure what is wrong. Just because you see a Service Active Handling message doesn't mean anything other than you need to get it serviced. It does not point to any specific failure and there is definitely more than one failure that can cause that message to be displayed. Also when that message is displayed the Active Handling System is not operational (meaning it is turned off by the EBCM). Stop at an autoparts store that has a scanner that can read ABS codes and see what codes are shown.

Attached you will find the TSB for the Steering Sensor Connector Fix and the 10 DTCs that cause the Service Active Handling message to appear. Several of them are for the steering sensor, some are the yaw sensor and some are the brake pressure sensor.

Bill
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Whis9 (07-04-2017)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 PM
BrokerDon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Service Active Handling System JAIL

Well my 2006 Z06 has had this same recurring ERROR almost like clockwork every 9 to 15 months since I bought it new in Sept 2005 (one of the first Z06s built). My Z06 is at a Chevy dealership AGAIN, this time getting the steering wheel sensor replaced AGAIN. No its not the dealer... I've had this repair done by at least two DIFFERENT Chevy dealers and it still comes back.

My Z06 is a 2LZ which has the telescoping steering wheel to make it easier for my lanky 190 lb 6'3" body to get in and out easier when I have to park in my tight garage or next to a parked car. This cycles the steering wheel forward every time I exit the car and back towards me again before I start the engine... which from my reading seems to be causing this ongoing problem. Fortunately the 72 month / 72,000 mile GMPP Major Guard extended warranty I bought in month 29 of my ownership still runs for another 2 years and through 93,000 miles... But since this problem doesn't seem to ever get FIXED for more than a year what can I do to get GM to fix it or warranty this safety related item PERMANENTLY so I don't get stuck having to deal with this forever?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 PM
BrokerDon
Instructor

Everybody who also had this problem should file a formal complaint with NHSTA online to demand GM's recall INCLUDE our Z06's too. Yes, that's right, the Z06 was EXCLUDED from GM's recall which leaves us to pay for these repairs out of our pockets even though we purchased GM's most expensive car! (or at least it was in 2006),

File your NHTSA complaint here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

It only takes about 5 minutes and if enough of us complain they can probably get GM to add our Z06's to this safety recall!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

They did mine under a recall. All they do, from what the dealer told me, is install a clip to hold the wires.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 AM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I had this last month. The initial fix is the clip, which was not covered under GMPP despite the TSB (not a recall). Cost from dealer was $42. If that doesn't work, a new position sensor will be installed, which is covered under GMPP. So far, the clip has worked. Follow Bill's link and avoid any dealers who have no idea about the TSB.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

I followed Bills link and dug into my footwell. Removed all the trim and knee bumper panel and low and behold, the "fix" has already been done. But the connector was loose so I pushed it in firm and the message has not come back since. It's been 8 restarts of the car and nothing. I'm sure it'll be back. Lol
Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM
JOHN*99*
Advanced

I received a recall for clip install on my 2006 Z at the same time as the roof recall. Took them about 10 min to do it (the clip).
Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JOHN*99*
I received a recall for clip install on my 2006 Z at the same time as the roof recall. Took them about 10 min to do it (the clip).
Called 4 dealerships, nothing. Nothing on my VIN, nothing in their database. Nothing...I guess some dealerships provide it as "goodwill" to warrantied Zs, and others are still chasing their tails, oblivious as usual

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active handling Recall

Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 AM
BrokerDon
Instructor

As I stated previously, GM's recall EXCLUDES our Z06's from the steering column recall but DOES cover base Corvettes. Yes, that's right, the Z06 was EXCLUDED from GM's recall which leaves us to pay for these repairs out of our pockets even though we purchased GM's most expensive car! (or at least it was in 2006),

I had the steering column recall done the first time this happened... but this problem keeps reoccuring even after two different dealership's Corvette Master Mechanic have replaced the steering wheel position sensor SEVERAL times... like clockwork every 9 to 15 months. 8-(

Hopefully my email to Tadge Juechter (Chief Corvette Engineer), Bowling Green Customer Feedback, and GM Customer Service will find a PERMANENT solution.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrokerDon
As I stated previously, GM's recall EXCLUDES our Z06's from the steering column recall but DOES cover base Corvettes. Yes, that's right, the Z06 was EXCLUDED from GM's recall which leaves us to pay for these repairs out of our pockets even though we purchased GM's most expensive car! (or at least it was in 2006),

I had the steering column recall done the first time this happened... but this problem keeps reoccuring even after two different dealership's Corvette Master Mechanic have replaced the steering wheel position sensor SEVERAL times... like clockwork every 9 to 15 months. 8-(

Hopefully my email to Tadge Juechter (Chief Corvette Engineer), Bowling Green Customer Feedback, and GM Customer Service will find a PERMANENT solution.
Thank you for the efforts. I clicked the above link and contacted the NHTSA. Let us know if you hear back from Tadge.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by BrokerDon
... which from my reading seems to be causing this ongoing problem. Fortunately the 72 month / 72,000 mile GMPP Major Guard extended warranty I bought in month 29 of my ownership still runs for another 2 years and through 93,000 miles... But since this problem doesn't seem to ever get FIXED for more than a year what can I do to get GM to fix it or warranty this safety related item PERMANENTLY so I don't get stuck having to deal with this forever?
There is a lot of confusion on the sequence of events when Active Handling activates when it shouldn't. There are three things we do know.

1.) When the Service Message is displayed the EBCM has already turned off Active Handling and as long as that message is displayed Active Handling is not functional.

2.) When the message is not displayed Active Handling is functional. Even if you turn it off with the push button it is still functioning in a suspended state just waiting for you to push the switch or for the car to override your selection due to a tire pressure issue.

3.) The EBCM resets with each ignition cycle so intermittent failures and the messages they cause will disappear each time you start the engine. If you have a hard failure the EBCM will display a message as soon as the engine starts or as soon as the internal self test is completed which occurs before the car gets to 10 mph.

There is nothing to say your problem is a safety related issue. The steering sensor can go bad and when the EBCM sees the wrong data from the sensor it turns active handling off.

The safety issue probably comes when the sensor or connector is close to failing the internal test and the EBCM sees spurious signals which although incorrect are not of range and thus it generates an active handling intervention when it shouldn't happen.

On some cars as the intervention occurs the EBCM detects an issue thus throwing a code that turns off Active Handling and displays the Service Message. What the driver experiences is a sudden pull on the steering, which is released at some point followed by the Service Active Handling message. This can occur quite fast and I suspect that since the driver is looking down the road and not at the DIC when the intervention occurs they think the message caused the intervention when it is the other way around. On other cars there will be no Service Message just the pulling of the steering wheel until the marginal condition disappears. I have a couple of nice videos showing that happening to my car on an autocross course. The in car video shows the steering wheel being yanked from my hands and then turning back and forth while the outside video shows what was happening with the car. I also had a passenger in the car who witnessed the whole thing. I had turned Active Handling off and at no time did the DIC show a Service Message. By the way my car has the clip in the connector and the connector isn't loose.

It is only when the DIC has no message there is a potential safety issue. While the Service Message is being displayed you are not in danger as the system will not reset until the next ignition cycle. If you have a solid Service Message when you start the car you don't have a safety issue.

If you are worried about the problem all you have to do is pull the ABS fuses thus killing the EBCM so it can't do a single thing. Of course you won't have ABS and the ABS and TC lights on the IP will be lit.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 04-11-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Service Active handling Recall