C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pictures of my homemade front air-dam.....I like it.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pictures of my homemade front air-dam.....I like it.

I posted pictures of my front dam in "My Garage" photos, it took a little tinkering but it's on and looks pretty DAM nice. I made it out of thick aluminum and the grill (which I did awhile ago) is made out of a galvinized screen that I picked up at Lowes. The screen is meant to be put around your tomato plants (Very weather proof). This is just a test fit, I plan on refining it and making it more rigid than it already is. I also plan on coating it with a PPG ruberized undercoat. The screen was easy to bend to the curves of the intake cavity and I attached it with the exsisting body screws. If you'd like to do this, then what are you waiting for all together it took me about a half an hour. P.S. You can bend metal with a door jamb or screw/clamp wood to your bench. In one of the pictures it looks a little crooked but its actually the front piece on the car, the dam is actually very precise. Each corner is the same distance to the floor. I plan on making everything even and perfect when I mount it.

Last edited by caddyboy84; 04-03-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 PM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good! I would, (and personally did) remove the stock air dam, the one which you wrap the mesh around. Its taking up space which you can benefit from with the larger air dam. Maybe it will work just the same with it, I dont know, I just know that every one I have seen that installed a big mouth, homemade or bought, have gotten rid of the stock one when adding the new piece. Did you notice any decrease in temps after adding it?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blakngold4life
Looks good! I would, (and personally did) remove the stock air dam, the one which you wrap the mesh around. Its taking up space which you can benefit from with the larger air dam. Maybe it will work just the same with it, I dont know, I just know that every one I have seen that installed a big mouth, homemade or bought, have gotten rid of the stock one when adding the new piece. Did you notice any decrease in temps after adding it?
Thanks I actually didn't drive the car yet, I started "putzin" with it when I got home. I don't even know if it''ll last coming in/out of my driveway. I'm thinkin the temps will improve, even at a light, because there really needs to be somekind of tunnel. Now you got me thinkin about removin that piece and incorporating the mesh into the dam somehow.

Last edited by caddyboy84; 04-03-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

leave it as is looks clean.
Now you just need a tunnel ram and a big block.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:46 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
leave it as is looks clean.
Now you just need a tunnel ram and a big block.
I'd prefer a 6.71 blower with dual predators (for height) and stacks
Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Havent seen a predator aroudn in ages
Came across a mint 750 Dominator last week almost bought it just cause.
Im getting old
Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Havent seen a predator aroudn in ages
Came across a mint 750 Dominator last week almost bought it just cause.
Im getting old
I loved the way they looked, they sat the highest on the blower like two blocks of aluminum.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:47 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

good work caddyboy, I was thinking of doing something like this with the spare bumper sitting in the garage so this gives me some ideas !
Old 04-04-2012, 08:24 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Looks good, makes me want to build a better one than the one I did.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:38 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice work !!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:53 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I personally wouldn't remove the center airdam section...it is there to keep air from going under the car and making the front end lift.

It looks good...

So does yours Kimmer...nothing to be ashamed of there.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kimmer
I LIKE THAT!! I've seen pictures of yours before, I think it was here. Now that I got the basic thought down, I think I'm gonna refine it. Someone suggested a splitter, maybe I'll try and figure that out Thanks everyone, I love the exchange of ideas here, one of us should make the paper template with easy instructions and send it to other members who want to tinker around. Something like that would save others the trouble of the initial mock-up.

Last edited by caddyboy84; 04-04-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Hotred94
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job, and not all that tough to do. Now we just need a deck plate under the radiator to go with it.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:28 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hotred94
Nice job, and not all that tough to do. Now we just need a deck plate under the radiator to go with it.
Just got in from a few hours of cruzin NEVER got over 220, this is great I'm almost tempted to make more of a tunnel out of it.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:38 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I would suggest a tiny lip on the front edge. It looks a little wavy across the front and a lip would stiffen it up and keep it straight.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 AM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I would suggest a tiny lip on the front edge. It looks a little wavy across the front and a lip would stiffen it up and keep it straight.
The complete edge IS folded over about an inch, if you look close you can see it. Ater I deleted the original black spoiler in the middle, I used that exsisting brace to barace mine (check photo). Once I did that I took a 100mph drive then brought the car back to the "Bat Cave" and bent it into it's perminant shape and now it looks perfect. I realize now that using the exsisting brace is key to mounting your own. Doing so makes the new dam very rigid and unmoveable.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 AM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyboy84
The complete edge IS folded over about an inch, if you look close you can see it. Ater I deleted the original black spoiler in the middle, I used that exsisting brace to barace mine (check photo). Once I did that I took a 100mph drive then brought the car back to the "Bat Cave" and bent it into it's perminant shape and now it looks perfect. I realize now that using the exsisting brace is key to mounting your own. Doing so makes the new dam very rigid and unmoveable.
So you removed the black rubber/plastic part of the dam? When I posted earlier about removing the stock one I was referring the small body colored one tucked underneath the car, the one which your mesh is attached to. I am surprised you saw positive results when that was removed, especially at high speeds. but if it works for you, great.

Get notified of new replies

To Pictures of my homemade front air-dam.....I like it.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 AM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blakngold4life
So you removed the black rubber/plastic part of the dam? When I posted earlier about removing the stock one I was referring the small body colored one tucked underneath the car, the one which your mesh is attached to. I am surprised you saw positive results when that was removed, especially at high speeds. but if it works for you, great.
Thanks for the suggestion, it helped me to kick things around in my head. Yes, I removed the black piece and when I did it allowed me to figure out the way I used the brace to secure my own dam. Take a look at the recent pic and you'll see how I mounted the dam with the exsisting brace. It worked well because without that black piece it allowed my dam to be set back a little more and evenly fill the exsisting cavity. It's really solid and makes one-hell-of-a-difference.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Danger Powerz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
I personally wouldn't remove the center airdam section...it is there to keep air from going under the car and making the front end lift.

It looks good...

So does yours Kimmer...nothing to be ashamed of there.
The air dam is to route air into the engine/radiator isn't it? Also I am thinking that with the dam absent there be less tendency to lift the front end because that high pressure zone would be eliminated (where the dam meets the car). Maybe someone with some aero experience can chime in?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Canam
Pro

Originally Posted by kimmer
This is really nice. What's even better is with the bottom edge relatively straight you add a splitter also if you want

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pictures of my homemade front air-dam.....I like it.