Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of 68 survivor

Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Fivepointfive
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Value of 68 survivor

...Snuck up on a barn find! I currently have a '56 that I have had for 52 years (300,000 miles), and 2003 Z06 that I have had for 5 years. I am told that Vettes, compare to *****--one is not enough and 3 is too many.
So, at my age of 69, I don't think I have what it will take to restore this 1968 coupe. The last owner was a friend, and he passed away recently. He owned the car for 30+ plus years and it has been sitting (un-driven) in a barn for about 25 or so years. I am trying to get an idea of the value of the car like it is: Undamaged body, but terrible white paint, blue interior-Not leather and not in great shape, everything original including L68 motor-big block, 3 x2's, 4 speed. VIN 194378S425xxx.
Motor TO70211IMS425xxx.

I plan to replace the brakes (one wheel is stuck from sitting) this week, and do the gas thing and get her running, but my thinking is to stop and keep it as a survivor until I determine what direction is best. The car has 30,000 original miles.

So I am asking the experts what would be a fair price to ask. My email is bunky@verizon.net. I can send pictures, but it is no show car.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi fpf,
It sounds like you may have found a REAL GEM, a deep pit to fall into, or something in between.
A car that's been sitting in a true 'barn' for 25 years could be VERY rusty; especially the frame and birdcage.
Have you checked those areas out thoroughly? That will have a BIG effect on what the car's value is. Rust really diminishes the value of 68+ cars because it can be so expensive to repair.
It REALLY depends on the conditions the car has been in for 25 years.
There's quite a difference between a car that's capable of attaining a Bloomington Survivor award or an NCRS Bowtie award and an old car that's just not been declared 'dead' yet.
A little more info and a few pictures will get you LOTS of opinions.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Fivepointfive
Intermediate

Default Survivor

Thanks, Alan (also my name--Allan).

I will know a little more about the car this week. I am just getting in to the search and discover mode. I have done frame off's on my'56, and my '54 5 window, and my rat rod--All pictured in my photos--along with a couple pix of the '68. I've been twisting wrenches for 50+ years, including a Top Fuel winner, but the only thing I know about the big block is the firing order. If I can sell it for a good price, I would do it. I am concerned if I start the restoration, the car would actually lose value over the survivor that it is.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

I moved your thread to General while you debate the value with the forum. If you decide on a price, put together a For Sale ad and re-post in C3s For Sale.

You really need to post some pictures of the '68 to get some feedback, including as much of the body as possible as well as the engine compartment, undercarriage, interior etc. Engine pad and trim tag would be a lot of help as well.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:58 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love these barn find threads
Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 PM
dbeall1968
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting! If it was in Texas all this time, you may have a VERY restorable candidate. Tri-powered 427 original motor coupe and a 4-speed, complete- unless it is a rust bucket, you have a car that will bring top money when properly restored. It is impossible to put a value on it without seeing it, but this sounds promising...
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Sounds like you ran across a great find. My '68 was a barn find as well. I would have loved for it to have been an L68 but am quite pleased with it as it is, an L36. Is your car a convertible or coupe? Just curious...not that one is any better than the other

About value, or whether it would be worthy of survivor status or better off restored, here is the definition of survivor as coined by Bloomington Gold standards:

As the name implies, Corvettes that have never been restored have ‘survived’ intentional or unintentional loss of original markings, paint or components. Corvettes remaining over 50% unrestored or unmodified may qualify for this award if they remain in a condition that would serve well as an historic guide for others who want to restore a Corvette of that vintage and type. This award is designed to recognize those Corvettes that are “Worn in, but not worn out.” A Survivor Corvette is significantly unrestored, unrepaired, or
unmodified and useful as a historic reference. It is a Corvette who in the best interest of research should not be restored or improved. Again, as with Certification, the cars are judged against a factory standard and not against one another. The technical portion of the judging is eliminated and instead the Corvettes must complete a 20-mile road test under their own power. However, due to road construction in 2012 ONLY, this test requirement is waived. Survivors must pass at least 3 of the 4 categories of exterior, interior, engine/compartment and chassis.

I'm afraid that a significant redo of the interior and paint may exclude your car from qualifying according to this definition but I'm definitely not the one to make that call. Regardless, it sounds like a great find!

P.S. Post some pics of it when you get the chance!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LemansBlue68
Is your car a convertible or coupe?
VIN 194378S425xxx
Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Fivepointfive
Intermediate

Default survivor 1968

...at my age I am having more trouble navigating the computer than fixing the car. To clear things up, I thought the car had 30K miles, but the odometer says 73K.

Today, I got the right rear wheel free.--It was the ebrake left on for the last 20 years or so. The brake lines are stainless--throughout the car, and it appears the calipers are sleeved with stainless. Tomorrow, I start on rebuilding the calipers--plan to use the originals rather than replacements. So far, all frame work looks solid and original, but I can't find any history of General Motors adding Black Widows to any Corvettes, although I do remember something about a Corvair Spider!
I did change the oil and fuel, and borrowed a battery from the ZO6, and the big 427 came to life, lights work, holds vacuum for light doors, shifts smooth, but with the caliper off the car, I didn't want to do much just using the ebrake. The driver seat does have a tear, and it is vinyl, so if that material is available, I will try to fix that, and replace the carpet. Will clean the car best I can and replace necessary hoses, but hold off on further improvements until I have a direction.

I need some help on adding pictures. I had originally put about 10 pictures in the system when I first registered--including a few on the '68 coupe, but I can't seem to be able to pull them up and others can't find them. I would also like to add a picture to my name on the forum, but can't seem to do that either. Guess I could get my grandson to help, but any advice from the forum field would be helpful.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:18 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

I will send you a PM (private message) on technical stuff...
Old 04-01-2012, 11:38 PM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fivepointfive
...at my age I am having more trouble navigating the computer than fixing the car. To clear things up, I thought the car had 30K miles, but the odometer says 73K.

Today, I got the right rear wheel free.--It was the ebrake left on for the last 20 years or so. The brake lines are stainless--throughout the car, and it appears the calipers are sleeved with stainless. Tomorrow, I start on rebuilding the calipers--plan to use the originals rather than replacements. So far, all frame work looks solid and original, but I can't find any history of General Motors adding Black Widows to any Corvettes, although I do remember something about a Corvair Spider!
I did change the oil and fuel, and borrowed a battery from the ZO6, and the big 427 came to life, lights work, holds vacuum for light doors, shifts smooth, but with the caliper off the car, I didn't want to do much just using the ebrake. The driver seat does have a tear, and it is vinyl, so if that material is available, I will try to fix that, and replace the carpet. Will clean the car best I can and replace necessary hoses, but hold off on further improvements until I have a direction.

I need some help on adding pictures. I had originally put about 10 pictures in the system when I first registered--including a few on the '68 coupe, but I can't seem to be able to pull them up and others can't find them. I would also like to add a picture to my name on the forum, but can't seem to do that either. Guess I could get my grandson to help, but any advice from the forum field would be helpful.

Open an account on Photobucket and then upload your photos.

Move cursor over picture on photobucket

You will get four lines

Copy bottom line (CTRL C) - It starts with [IMG

Paste it to your post - (CRTL V)

Finito - pics posted to your thread.

Further help - PM me.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Fivepointfive
Intermediate

I'm so new at this, I will need to post another reply to get the next picture

Old 04-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Fivepointfive
Intermediate

Think I got the second picture.

This was tough for me--I wish I were 12
Old 04-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Fivepointfive
Intermediate

Thanks for the help to those who walked me through this process
Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

PS, just post the second link on the next line under the first link if you want both pictures in the same response/post.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,541 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

52 years with your 56 is a very good thing

Congratulations on your new 68 big block. Looks like a great find. My 68 big block had 75,000 original miles on it when I bought it 6 years ago. It had sat for 10 years. It runs great after I worked the bugs out of it. Yours looks like an excellent candidate to just get into good running order and enjoy it's originality before doing any major restoration work.

Enjoy the new ride.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Well, for original paint and being stored for 25+ years, the finish isn't nearly as bad as you described. Folks who own 'Survivors' would be drooling over your 'barn find'.

Get notified of new replies

To Value of 68 survivor

Old 04-02-2012, 11:45 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's not "terrible white paint", that's patina!

I'd leave it alone if it's original paint. Get an expert's opinion on whether the car meets survivor status. Of course you are the judge that really counts. It's only original once.

The seat cover may be repairable if the tear is at a seam.

I'm really warming up to the color white on a Corvette after seeing 3 white 68's that are new on this forum in only a couple of weeks.

Last edited by LemansBlue68; 04-02-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi fpf,
Yes, the pictures show what might turn out to be a very nice car, and a real find!
Some more information and pictures as you work on it will help determine just what you have.
Regards,
Alan

With cars like your 68, what the car was when it left St. Louis, and what it is now, has a very impact on it's value.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 PM
boeing46
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really looks good. You truly have a good find there. Hopefully as you have things fixed it won't kill your bank account. Congrats on the find. The tires look good but they have to be changed because of age. I personally wouldn't drive on 20 something old tires. If they fly apart it does tremendous damage to fiberglass.

Last edited by boeing46; 04-02-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Value of 68 survivor