Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

what do u all think of my set up? NA c5 dd

Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 PM
tomshaze
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do u all think of my set up? NA c5 dd

Ok guys bought this car roughly 2 n a half months ago bought it bone stock
My goal was to hit 400 whp as reliabley and a lowest cost cost as possible
My mods are
Gm hot cam 150 for cam and 75 bucks for ls6 springs
Bbk intake manifold and self ported 80 mm bbk tb 450 new (had ls1 intake before)
Ppwerbond 10 percent underdrive pulley with shorter belt 140 dollars
Tpis 1 5/8 headers long tubes with hi flow cats x pipe 525 dollars (no leaks very happy with them)
Labor 250 to install cam n springs
Tune 310 dollars
Injectors fordracing 30 lb injectors 36 pounds on corvette '') by the way work get and are easy to find cheap on mustang forums 100 bucks flowmatched

In total i spent roughly 2000 dollars which is less then some people spend on heads alone
Numbers before headers stock injectors maxing oit 350/330 i was satifished at the time
Put headers and retuned 360 hp 335 torque maxed injectors at 125 percent duty cycyle and tuner said o2s where reading right ok so replaced both front o2s and and put injectors went back for retune new numbers 377/360 what do you think for the money i spent good return ?

I have a set of 799 heads laying around should i sell them port them mill them both?

Last edited by tomshaze; 03-29-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: add to it
Old 03-30-2012, 07:20 AM
tomshaze
Advanced

Default specs

Car is a 2000 c5 m6 what do u all think it will run in the 1/4 mile woth new nitto 555r II? Please your opinons! Dont leave me hanging
Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 AM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

If you put the 799 heads on milled you should make it, but you picked basically the worst everything you could. TPIS headers are giving up a lot compared to others out there in both performance and quality. Steve Dotten was selling some QTP Tri-Y headers and high flow cats for a good price that would give you a nice HP boost and a tremendous TQ increase. The hot cam although cheap is also leaving a lot on the table in both performance and drivability. There are many Smallish cams that drive better and make way more power that can be had cheap, The BBK intake is also a questionable choice as most would go for at least an LS6 manifold. I would Also suggest a good CAI like a Vararam or Halltech. I'd say with the Hotcam and 799 heads you would be around 400-410 rwhp tops.

Last edited by hardcore4sure; 03-30-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:00 AM
tomshaze
Advanced

Originally Posted by hardcore4sure
If you put the 799 heads on milled you should make it, but you picked basically the worst everything you could. TPIS headers are giving up a lot compared to others out there in both performance and quality. Steve Dotten was selling some QTP Tri-Y headers and high flow cats for a good price that would give you a nice HP boost and a tremendous TQ increase. The hot cam although cheap is also leaving a lot on the table in both performance and drivability. There are many Smallish cams that drive better and make way more power that can be had cheap, The BBK intake is also a questionable choice as most would go for at least an LS6 manifold. I would Also suggest a good CAI like a Vararam or Halltech. I'd say with the Hotcam and 799 heads you would be around 400-410 rwhp tops.
I agreed with some point i love the quality of tpis but i agreed im leaving power on the table

If i port and mill the heads what will the gains be and whays the max i can mill the heads ?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 AM
tomshaze
Advanced

Also i got the bbk cuz the cheapest i could find the ls6 was 375 shipped
Old 03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tomshaze
Car is a 2000 c5 m6 what do u all think it will run in the 1/4 mile woth new nitto 555r II? Please your opinons! Dont leave me hanging
If you can make ~400rwhp, I'm gonna guess mid to low 12's first time out then after some seat time 11.8-11.9 on those tires.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:43 PM
mchicia1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could have just done headers/medium->large camshaft and would have gotten there.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:32 PM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

Well if you get them ported by AI , TEA or PRC you will be steering away from cheap ($1000 roughly AI/TEA for porting or PRC think is around $7-800) but will pick up 20-30 HP on top of the 20hp that stock 799's will give you. If you went that route I'd change the cam too and headers. You can get close to your goal without, but you can far exceed your goal with the same amount of work if you did.
I agreed with some point i love the quality of tpis but i agreed im leaving power on the table

If i port and mill the heads what will the gains be and whays the max i can mill the heads ?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 PM
tomshaze
Advanced

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Could have just done headers/medium->large camshaft and would have gotten there.
true so should i spend money again to put a bigger cam or port my heads got em for 200 bucks and put those on?
people please chime in

also for the 2000 dollars i spent did i get bang for buck that included injectors and tuning
Old 03-31-2012, 03:43 AM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

Those heads will get you 20+ stock if you mill em a little bit, so you could put those on, but a better cam could get you 20 also. Most decent small cams like the TR 224, TSP 228 or maybe a newer EPS 226 can reach 400rwhp by themselves with supporting bolt on's. The 1-5/8" TPIS headers WILL cost you a lil bit of power, but with a better cam and even stock 799 heads would put you into the 415-425 range. Heads ported could put you in the 440 range if the intake is "worked" right.

Last edited by hardcore4sure; 03-31-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:11 AM
fotoboy
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TPIS are 1 3/4 not 5/8th. I dont believe they ever made a ls header in that size. BTW I have the same headers and made over 450 whp
Old 04-01-2012, 03:25 AM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fotoboy
TPIS are 1 3/4 not 5/8th. I dont believe they ever made a ls header in that size. BTW I have the same headers and made over 450 whp
Actually they did make 1-5/8" headers, DRM made some of the first LT's available which happen to closely resemble the TPIS, FLP, Melrose designs. Regardless of the tube size, LG's, ARH, Kooks, Dynatech, QTP, TSP or XS Power all have better merge collectors (except TSP)and velocity spikes that will all make much better power. It's not that you can't make power with TPIS but you will have to go a size or two bigger on the cam and or intake to do it. That's all i'm saying. Since the OP wants to run a smaller cam having other parts optimized will be even more important. With that said the large split on the HOTCAM may actually help reduce the limitations of those headers.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 AM
tomshaze
Advanced

Default 400 + hp

Great opinions keep em coming btw what is large split?
The reason i got this ''small'' cam was because this is my dd and i dont want for it to eat a spring or drop a valve etc that happens occasaly with bigger cams also didnt have to spend cash on stronger pushrods or timing chain or even lifters i didnt buy any gaskets nothing and the car runs great but now i think im going to just port the 799 and put some 1.8 roller rockers the cheap ones lol 150 bucks with some 600 lift spring prolly pac springs and possibly mill the heads .030 with some .25 shorter pr and have roughly 420 whp on a hot cam sounds good to me?
And yes my tpis are 1 5/8 design the older design i dont regret buying then 500 bucks with x pipe and hi flow cats and there gel coated and i intalled them myself what a bitch to get them in them but the cars felt way smoother all around and no nasty gargulling on decerleration anymore also my cat back is weird it has little one inch holes on the back for exhaust to pass lol how do i post pictures?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 PM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

The split I was refering to was the difference between the 219 intake duration and the
228 exhaust duration. Many LS cams are single pattern or use a 4* split. The longer exhaust ( 9* split) duration helps when you have a more restrictive exhaust. I like your idea about the 1.8 rockers, lift would be like .556 and with ported 799's it should run pretty good . Stronger pushrods are highly recommended tho.

Last edited by hardcore4sure; 04-01-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:48 PM
tomshaze
Advanced

The split I was refering to was the difference between the 219 intake duration and the
228 exhaust duration. Many LS cams are single pattern or use a 4* split. The longer exhaust ( 9* split) duration helps when you have a more restrictive exhaust. I like your idea about the 1.8 rockers, lift would be like .556 and with ported 799's it should run pretty good . Stronger pushrods are highly recommended tho.
oh i see awesome info quick question
if i mill my heads .025 can i just buy 7.375 pushrods?
or do i really have to measure it cuz my car is a daily driver and i cant have it down for more then 2 days what do u think ?
btw ive home ported the 799 like a stage 1 port nothing major still considering paying someone to port them more power on a budget i love it!!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:32 AM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

oh i see awesome info quick question
if i mill my heads .025 can i just buy 7.375 pushrods?
or do i really have to measure it cuz my car is a daily driver and i cant have it down for more then 2 days what do u think ?
btw ive home ported the 799 like a stage 1 port nothing major still considering paying someone to port them more power on a budget i love it!!!!
I hope you have experience and the proper tools to port the heads or you may end up worse off then if they were stock. I would check with the machine shop that does the milling about the clearance on your pushrod measurement, but that should work theoretically. You will also have to pay attention to your intake fitment once you mill the heads, those aluminum intakes have been known to have issues sealing properly. You may want to take it to the machine shop as well to see if they can mock it up for proper fitment.Good luck
Old 05-03-2023, 03:26 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

325rwhp on a dynojet is a lot for any tuner to screw up....Did he offer any feedback? I would be looking at hardware and a new tuner to be safe

Get notified of new replies

To what do u all think of my set up? NA c5 dd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what do u all think of my set up? NA c5 dd