C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question re: Astronauts and Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 05:14 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question re: Astronauts and Corvettes

One of my buddies loaned me some interesting photos of two Mercury/Gemini astronauts with their Corvettes. From the license plates, it appears to be late 1963, however, at least one of the two cars is clearly a '64 roadster. The astronauts are Deke Slayton and Neil Armstrong. They were on a hunting trip in central texas, and there are deer tied to the hoods of the cars. :eek:

I am interested in finding out if anyone on the forum now owns either of these cars, and if so, if they'd like the pictures. I have the license number of one car available if that might help.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Question re: Astronauts and Corvettes (Jeff 6T9)

Here is something to try. A couple of years ago, they had a special display of Astronaut cars at the National Corvette Museum in BG. It was for the museums birthday celebration. Adam Boca, who is a member of this forum, might can help you get the current owners info. If it was one of the display cars. Or, you might could just call the museum and talk with someone and find out.

Your picture doesn't show up - red x.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:05 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Default Re: Question re: Astronauts and Corvettes (Grey Ghost)

Thanks for the help! I'll check it out.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:05 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

ttt

I haven't had much luck finding info on the NCM display. Anybody else have any information?

thanks-
Jeff
Old 10-23-2003, 06:43 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

"They were on a hunting trip in central texas, and there are deer tied to the hoods of the cars. "
Normaly I lay the deer across the rear deck with legs pointing forward, tie rope from legs to conv. top frame hinge. Maybe I should get a luggage rack.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:37 AM
Cmacsvette
Burning Brakes

Jeff 6T9,

Is one of those cars silver?

Craig
Old 10-24-2003, 08:58 AM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Default Re: Question re: Astronauts and Corvettes (Cmacsvette)

Craig -

The pictures are black and white, but it's possible. The roadster is a light color, maybe white, but it could be silver or silver blue. It has a scuff on the front fender near the headlight door. There's a coupe in the picture also, it's a darker color, but I'm not sure what color. From the information I've been able to gather, I believe the roadster was Slayton's, and the coupe belonged to Armstrong.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:41 AM
WOEII
Team Owner

Location: [QUOTE=onedef92]Remember when that spookable closed the door on that mofo and trapped him inside tha
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I would like to see that pic too. :cool:
Old 10-25-2003, 03:51 PM
WOEII
Team Owner

Location: [QUOTE=onedef92]Remember when that spookable closed the door on that mofo and trapped him inside tha

:seeya
Old 10-26-2003, 09:38 AM
tuxedo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jeff' If u can why don't you scan and post those pic's. As I think everybody would like to see them. Those astronauts back then were considered celebs. and I believe got the cars to drive from GM for free. In any case also pretty interesting with the deers tied to the cars. Kinda like the Deer Hunter movie from the late 70's. Of course you an I have both seen plenty of deer usually in the back of pick ups during the hunting season around here. But have yet to see one tied to a vette and probably never will. Your pretty close to me as I am over by the Quarry market. Are you ever at Automania at the Forum mall on Friday nights? Usually plenty of cars. I will probably be there this Friday weather permitting.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:07 AM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Default Re: Question re: Astronauts and Corvettes (tuxedo)

Tuxedo -

I'll see what I can do this week. All the astronauts had corvettes in those days. As I understand it, they were free initially, and later on, they had some sort of 2-year "executive" lease, where they got the cars pretty inexpensively. There's a guy in austin that has a very nice '69 that belonged to Alan Bean. I've been to the forum a couple of times, but not in a while.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:52 AM
WOEII
Team Owner

Default Re: Question re: Astronauts and Corvettes (tuxedo)

Hey Jeff' If u can why don't you scan and post those pic's. As I think everybody would like to see them. Those astronauts back then were considered celebs. and I believe got the cars to drive from GM for free. In any case also pretty interesting with the deers tied to the cars. Kinda like the Deer Hunter movie from the late 70's. Of course you an I have both seen plenty of deer usually in the back of pick ups during the hunting season around here. But have yet to see one tied to a vette and probably never will. Your pretty close to me as I am over by the Quarry market. Are you ever at Automania at the Forum mall on Friday nights? Usually plenty of cars. I will probably be there this Friday weather permitting.
:yesnod: :cool: :seeya
Old 11-02-2003, 03:20 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Tuxedo -

I'll see what I can do this week. All the astronauts had corvettes in those days. As I understand it, they were free initially, and later on, they had some sort of 2-year "executive" lease, where they got the cars pretty inexpensively. There's a guy in austin that has a very nice '69 that belonged to Alan Bean. I've been to the forum a couple of times, but not in a while.
I wonder if his car was Al Bean's Gold and Black car?
Old 11-12-2003, 11:37 AM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Default Re: Question re: Astronauts and Corvettes (LowFlight)

Tuxedo -

I wonder if his car was Al Bean's Gold and Black car?
That's the one I'm talking about. It's Riverside Gold, with black "wings" over the roof and down the rear fenders. It was in Vette magazine a year or so ago.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:52 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

on this topic, go to the "rare 70's Corvette on Ebay" thread on the NCRS board, esp Mike Cobine's post which links up a number of pics of the astronauts' cars . . . .
Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 PM
jhc119
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astronaut corvettes

Two weeks ago i bought neil armstrong's 1967 coupe. I had found the car in 1979 but the owner would not sell. He put it in his basement garage in sept. 1981 and it stayed there in the heat and a/c for the next 31 years. I had kept in touch with him a couple of times a year and out of the blue two weeks ago he called and said he was ready to sell. The car is the ultimate corvette barn find. Everything is with the car, even the warranty book with neil armstrong's name and address on the protect-o-plate. The car has all the original equipment, 427 390 hp, a/c, electronic ignition. It took a long time but i have a piece of history. The astronauts will be here at the cape mid april and nasa is trying to set something up so armstrong and the rest of them can visit the car. Jim rathman chevrolet in melbourne fl. Provided them with a new vette every year for the $1.00 fee. The person i bought the car from bought it the day after armstrong turned it in.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 PM
C2Steve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jhc119
Two weeks ago i bought neil armstrong's 1967 coupe. I had found the car in 1979 but the owner would not sell. He put it in his basement garage in sept. 1981 and it stayed there in the heat and a/c for the next 31 years. I had kept in touch with him a couple of times a year and out of the blue two weeks ago he called and said he was ready to sell. The car is the ultimate corvette barn find. Everything is with the car, even the warranty book with neil armstrong's name and address on the protect-o-plate. The car has all the original equipment, 427 390 hp, a/c, electronic ignition. It took a long time but i have a piece of history. The astronauts will be here at the cape mid april and nasa is trying to set something up so armstrong and the rest of them can visit the car. Jim rathman chevrolet in melbourne fl. Provided them with a new vette every year for the $1.00 fee. The person i bought the car from bought it the day after armstrong turned it in.
Pics?

Get notified of new replies

To Question re: Astronauts and Corvettes

Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 PM
jnx911
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C2Steve
Pics?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:16 PM
jhc119
Heel & Toe

Nasajack2003 took a lot pictures of the car when i got it home. I will see if i can get him to post them. I also took a lot of pictures with the vette in it's 31 year old nest and as we removed it into the sunshine, i will see if i can get him to post them too.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 PM
StephenSLR
Racer

Originally Posted by JJ Deuce
All the astronauts had corvettes in those days.

Astronauts and Corvettes: Just Like Mom, Apple Pie, and Rock & Roll

s

Last edited by StephenSLR; 03-16-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Question re: Astronauts and Corvettes