C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Frequency Resonance

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Y2K3CL-S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Frequency Resonance

Before I end up taking it in for the dealership to try to resolve, I am wondering if what I am now currently experiencing is known to anybody. Today, for the first time, while heading down the freeway at a Cruise Controlled 68mph, I heard what sounds like a low frequency resonance coming from somewhere in the front of the interior. I thought it might be some cd cases I had under the arm rest ... I thought it might be a vibration from the center speaker ... I thought it might be an as-yet unknown problem with the roof ... I thought it might have something to do with the Mild-2-Wild controlled exhaust ... but by process of elimination it doesn't appear to be any of the above. Car is an '08 with just over 27K on the clock, and the resonance/vibration appeared for the first time about 20 miles into my trip. Wasn't constant throughout, and when I returned from my stop it again showed up and again disappeared. Happened a third time in the afternoon on a non-freeway surface but the constant seems to be the onset when reaching roughly 65-70 mph. Unless it has something to do with the speaker or something else vibrating in the dash, this is new to me. Anybody have anything like this with their C6? tks
Old 03-08-2012, 12:24 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not with the Vette, but ive had similar issues in east. Have you checked the tires for uneven wear or cupping of the treads? That could cause the issue.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 736 Likes on 475 Posts

I had a wind vibration noise coming from the passenger side front dash near windshield. It was the cowl trim that would vibrate as wind would pass through at highway speeds. Apply blue tape over the cowl trim onto the windshield. Take it for a ride on the freeway, if the vibration went away the cowl trim needs to be replaced. Do a search on cowl trim vibration for more info.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:30 AM
vetternity
Cruising

After i swapped the exhaust from the stock, I can hear some resonance sounds at some low RPM, with 6 gear in and at speed at about 100 km/hmaybe..
I know the stock had some holes in it to prevent that, guess I have to live with it. The stock sounded to quiet.
I dont have borla or corsa, I have something called HMS..

Or is there a trick to prevent the low RPM sound?
Gear down and

Last edited by vetternity; 03-08-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vetternity
After i swapped the exhaust from the stock, I can hear some resonance sounds at some low RPM, with 6 gear in and at speed at about 100 km/hmaybe..
I know the stock had some holes in it to prevent that, guess I have to live with it. The stock sounded to quiet.
I dont have borla or corsa, I have something called HMS..

Or is there a trick to prevent the low RPM sound?
Gear down and
Sounds like you're experiencing "drone". Search on that - there are lots of threads for that topic.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If not exhaust drone, then I suspect a tire problem.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Y2K3CL-S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
I had a wind vibration noise coming from the passenger side front dash near windshield. It was the cowl trim that would vibrate as wind would pass through at highway speeds. Apply blue tape over the cowl trim onto the windshield. Take it for a ride on the freeway, if the vibration went away the cowl trim needs to be replaced. Do a search on cowl trim vibration for more info.
Did a search as suggested and found a 4 page dialog on this very issue. Just went out and found a small gap on the passenger side located near the edge of the wiper blade, but a 5 to 6 inch section on the drivers side where the cowl wasn't resting against the windshield. Greatly appreciate your response.

Last edited by Y2K3CL-S; 03-08-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Has your concern been resolved? Please feel free to keep me or Evan posted regarding your progress or contact us if you need further assistance. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Y2K3CL-S
Burning Brakes

^ As the problem just reared it's head yesterday, I thought I'd ask the forum first before I went to the dealer. Sometimes its better to not only inform them of your problem, but to be able to show them the cause and relay the known fix. Your question does pose two questions that I did not find in the other thread:

1) Has there been a TSB issued regarding this issue
2) As it's out of warranty (51 month old '08 with just over 27K miles), I assume this will be an out-of-pocket fix for something that was well documented in the other thread ... which I see you (or someone else using the username) did have a couple of posts in

Last edited by Y2K3CL-S; 03-08-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm just spitballing but when you're cruising at 65-70 mph what gear are you in? I wouldn't recommend using the over-drive gears (5th or 6th) at only 68 mph but if you are try putting the transmission into 4th gear to see what happens. 'Lugging' the engine could possibly create the annoying resonance somewhere in the car. It's just a thought...good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Low Frequency Resonance

Quick Reply: Low Frequency Resonance