C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration or Wind noise in 2008 C6

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:47 PM
CSF - One
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration or Wind noise in 2008 C6

I have a frustrating intermittent vibration or wind noise in the dash of my vette that the service techs can't resolve because they can't duplicate the problem. Happens at different speeds, but mostly when traveling around 70-80 MPH. Sounds like a fairly loud hummm coming from either the top center vent or from somewhere inside the dash on the passenger side. Strong winds quartering into the front right side of the car seems to make it worse...as does certain road surface types. Of course everytime I take service tech for a ride to show him the problem...nothing happens -- very frustrating. Have any of you had a similar problem and found the cause? Thanks for any insights you can shed on this nagging issue.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
check6x
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds like a faster speed would increase the probability of detection.

My C6 has a huge amount of road noise. I attribute most of this to the *&^% tires.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by CSF - One
I have a frustrating intermittent vibration or wind noise in the dash of my vette that the service techs can't resolve because they can't duplicate the problem. Happens at different speeds, but mostly when traveling around 70-80 MPH. Sounds like a fairly loud hummm coming from either the top center vent or from somewhere inside the dash on the passenger side. Strong winds quartering into the front right side of the car seems to make it worse...as does certain road surface types. Of course everytime I take service tech for a ride to show him the problem...nothing happens -- very frustrating. Have any of you had a similar problem and found the cause? Thanks for any insights you can shed on this nagging issue.
Hello,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your vehicle. I am going to send you a private message for more information.

Geoff Allen
Chevrolet Customer Assistance
Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM
CSF - One
Heel & Toe

Thanks...also saw some other posts on this issue so will check them too. Appreciated.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:13 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

OP you are not alone...Ditto on my 08
Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Wasn't there a TSB out about this issue being caused by a faulty piece in the window mount or trim?

I can't complain about the wind noise in my 08 C6. If I left the M2W in its off position I probably would be up to triple digits without knowing it, besides the tire roar that is. I wish they would put Michelins on all Corvettes. I haven't found a GY tire that I liked yet.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I has a intermittent buzz at low speed over bumps it was the glove compartment door, if you close the door harder than normal it would go away but come back a few min later, I think it was slight play in the lock striker or the glove compt. door.

I traded the car before I got a chance to look into it, try opening and closing the glove compt. door when you hear the noise see if it make a difference.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:55 PM
siggie
Advanced

Same here, Same speed also. It sounds like a big dragon fly got behind the rt side of the dash. I got the same answer from the dealer also . until I can find out what is causing it I just turn up the tunes.Please let us know what you find.I will follow up also.
Good luck
Old 03-12-2010, 02:21 AM
T's C6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by siggie
Same here, Same speed also. It sounds like a big dragon fly got behind the rt side of the dash. I got the same answer from the dealer also . until I can find out what is causing it I just turn up the tunes.Please let us know what you find.I will follow up also.
Good luck
Same problem here.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,509 Likes on 821 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Lots of noises in these cars, I just keep the music loud and can't hear anything.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:39 AM
kramer2k
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your vehicle. I am going to send you a private message for more information.

Geoff Allen
I see you're a new member here at CFs. It's great to see someone officially from Chevrolet on here!

Same here ^, I just keep my M2W on wild and I don't here a thing!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 PM
siggie
Advanced

I think I found where our problem is. After I washed my C6 wile drying it off with the leaf blower, I ran it over the right side at a slight angle just over the center of the wiper blade and wiper arm.Sure enough the sound came .When I moved the blower to the other side nothing happened . I looked closer as I put the air to the right side again I noticed that the plastic that set's against the window was vibrating.
The bad part is I had to take the vet to the shop for a new rim and have not been able to tape it down to see if it goes away when I go on the Freeway for a test drive . I will check this when I get it back and up date as to what I find.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Just Buy It
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello,

Geoff Allen
If this is an answer to the problem can you please make it public? No offense but this is a bit of BS. If GM has a solution they should make it public IMHO. Please PM me also with the solution if thats the way it has to be. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:06 AM
bklyn vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

had same problem with my car 2 years ago drove me nuts.....placed duct tape on cowl and windshield took car for a ride on hwy.....no more noise replaced windshield cowl...i guess it warps aftertime
Old 04-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Captain David
Racer

Hello,

Geoff Allen
Same problem, Buzzing, motor/fan type noise at speed, rt dash, mid passenger, seems to increase with acceleration. 2008 coupe, Museum delivery Sept 5 2007, 11,000 mi. This is a new noise. visited a friend on a short dirt road and it appeared while driving back to Atlanta..
Please Advise
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Buy It
If this is an answer to the problem can you please make it public? No offense but this is a bit of BS. If GM has a solution they should make it public IMHO. Please PM me also with the solution if thats the way it has to be. Thanks.
I have same problem
Old 04-28-2010, 11:23 PM
siggie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I have same problem
I found the problem. I taped the plastic that sets over the bottom of the front window to the window, test drove it and the noise went away . My car go's to the dealer on Friday for a new plastic cowell to be installed

Get notified of new replies

To Vibration or Wind noise in 2008 C6

Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Interesting....see this is what's great about this forum....
Old 04-29-2010, 12:48 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good post.....some Z owners had close to the same problem,,,but on some it turned out to be the oil "O" ring that was split on the dry sump can..glad there is another fix....
Old 05-22-2010, 02:31 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Is there a TSB # on this?

I have the same humming vibration....worse upon acceleration.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Vibration or Wind noise in 2008 C6