C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C6 compared to my c4

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Cavi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 compared to my c4

I know there is always alot of hoopla over this topic, and from what I have read in the past on this forum, I was already convinced that I would hate the C6 after driving my C4. I had formed the opinion that the C6 would not feel like a cockpit, that it would be too big inside to feel sportscar like, that the feel would be more disconected. In short I feard that there was no way I would like it, as I love my C4. I am not a straight line power kind of guy, I want good power in a car that handles well.
Anyway, I am in the position that in a year or so I could upgrade to a c6 if i wanted, but after the reviews I was not sure I wanted to do that. Either way i needed to know to decided what my long term goals would be as they would dictate how much money I dumped in my C4.
I will start by saying that I do like the looks of the C6 more than the C4, other than the fact that I love the clamshell hood on the C4, I do not like the C5. I would not trade my C4 for a C5.
So yesterday there was a 2006 C6 at my local chevy dealer so I took it for a test drive. This is my honest opinion.
First and formost, it does feel like an evolution of the C4, in other words it still feels like I am in a corvette but a more refined one. Refined in many ways, first, easier to get in and out of, due to the lack of the high sills. It is deffinitly more rigid, les flex in a very good way, but it still had some creaks, not nearly like my C4 but thy were there.
The driving position felt better than that of my C4, I think it was mainly due to the steering wheel which offered a more comfortable grip. The seats suprised be by bieng very supportave even though they did not look like they would be. The inside was more roomy than my C4 but not a whole lot, I still felt like I was in a cookpit in a very good way. The handling was awsome, and the feedback was still great.
the biggest negative was the traction control was way too influential, much better with it off!
I also was not a fan of not needing a key to start it. I do not know how long the fob battery lasts but what happens if the battery in the fob dies?
All in all I will probably buy one next year and be very happy.
Do not get me wrong, I love my C4, but I will not dump twice its value into it. I have over 150000 miles on it and I put like 25000 a year on it, so it makes sense for me to upgrade late next year over posibly paying someone to rebuild my current engine.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You make me sick... just kidding. I can see myself in one in the future like 4 years of so when price comes down. Doubt id drop the c4 though. They are just too awesome.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Cavi
Pro

Not trying to make anyone sick, I am serious I was worried after reading all of the other comments on the C6 from other C4 owners.
I really do love my C4 but I have to be realistic, I own it as a dual purpose car, it is a Autox car and also a DD. It does great as a DD as it gets decent milage on the highway, way more than my truck does, while bieng more comfortable. I bought it for 6000, and I do not want to know how much I put in it to get it to where it is now, but in all reality the rear half has a bad quality paint job, it looks okay but not what I would ulitmitly like, and with 150 on the clock, I cannot expect to get much more than this year and next year before I personally feel I would want to rebuild the engine. So just with the engine and paint I would have to put way more than I am willing to put in it. I feel I will be better served saving for a year and buying a gently used C6.
If the Value of the C4 cars was going up I might feel differently but as it is, I doubt I would even recoop what I have in it. and I am not complaining about that because I am having a blast with it, next autox race is this weekend and i now have a full set of R compound on a spare set of rims!!
Anyway I had just wanted to post my C6 review as I hope it will make people in my position less afraid of the C6.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, that makes sense. I don't ever plan on getting rid of my C4, it is definitely my favorite corvette, but I like the C6 also. C5 is ok, but if it was between the two, the C6 has my vote. Honestly my favorite feature is the indexing windows that allow a better air seal. As far as resale value, I honestly just don't care. A corvette is a toy and hence resale value seems pointless.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want something that is a closer cross between the C4 and the C6, try out a C5Z.

It has all of the gritty roughness of the C4 and all of the technological advancements of the C6.

For my tastes, the C4 is not refined enough and the C6 is too refined. The C5Z is the perfect Vette. You can take it on a cross country trip, then drive it onto a race track and it will be equally at home in both places.

I'm not sure how you feel about the looks since that is different for everybody, but if you are looking to something newer, you might consider giving one a shot.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Cavi
Pro

I did consider the C5z, but again I would be perfectly happy with a bare bones C6, the power is fine for me and I will probably end up doing suspension upgrades anyways so the price of a C5Z is actually close to the C6 and I really do not like the looks of the C5 that much, what I like on the C6 looks is sht slightly shorter front end, the C5 seems to have an absurdly long front end in front of the front wheels, not that the c4 is short but I just am not a big fan of the C5 looks.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Get the C6 and keep them both.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Never driven a C6, have driven a C5 though and it was terrible. Maybe they figured it out again for the C6. I'll probably never know though. I don't care how much power they make and how they handle, to me they just don't look good.

But that's why we all have an opinion isn't it?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cavi
...the C5 seems to have an absurdly long front end in front of the front wheels, not that the c4 is short but I just am not a big fan of the C5 looks.
I can't argue about looks. That is 100% opinion of which you are obviously entitled. Personally, I think the notch back design of the C5Z is one of the best looking Vettes ever, which is why I picked one for myself. I personally don't like the looks of the C6 (especially the non-wide bodies) at all. ...again, just an opinion.

As far as the nose goes, the C4 is actually way longer than the C5. I learned this when I was learning how to put the car on my trailer.

I went from a daily driver Z51 C4 to my C5Z. At first I was honestly disappointed with how the Z06 felt. Then... I looked at the speedometer and realized that I was going twice as fast around the same corners with ease. IMO the C4 FEELS fast. The C5Z IS fast. You can add the C6 cars into that same category.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

If the battery in the C6 remote fob dies or gets weak, you can simply take the end cap off of it and there is a slot in the glove box to plug it in to enable the starter function. there is also an actual key inside the fob attached to the end cap that will open the back hatch where u can reach a cable actuated door release if the battery dies.

It's no big deal, except that every person you ever loan the car to has to be taught how to drive again...like opening the door is even unique.

Yes, the traction control is quick to intervene, but there are 4 different modes that allow different things (incl off). Things happen a lot faster in C5/6's because they are capable faster cornering speeds with less understeer. The rear transaxle weight balance increases the limit, but sort of at the same time makes the car a little more difficult to keep control of if you let your reflexes stay slow.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by mike100
Yes, the traction control is quick to intervene, but there are 4 different modes that allow different things (incl off).
The C5Z "Competition Mode" is one of the best factory TC systems that I have seen. I haven't been able to push the C6 systems too hard because I have always been in borrowed cars but I have no doubt that they are as good (or even better). It lets you do what you want to do, but at the same time does a pretty decent job of preventing you from facing the wrong way and eating a guardrail.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:18 PM
cire96
Burning Brakes

I've had a '96 CE since 2001 and a '04 Z06 since 2008. For five plus years the CE was a garage queen. Now with 92K it's pretty much a daily driver.

Comparing the two, my take is the CE is more like a luxury personal car that performs well, while the Z06 is a performance car that holds two people in basic comfort. If I had to pick one to drive to California, it would be tbe CE. If I was going to the track, it'd be the ZO6.

Having driven several C6's (to include a ZO6), the C6 is more refined than than the C5. The C6 ZO6 is a formidable machine and makes my C5 seem at least as slow compared to it as my C4 CE is to my C5 Z06.
Cire
Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by cire96
If I had to pick one to drive to California, it would be tbe CE. If I was going to the track, it'd be the ZO6.
Interesting that you would pick the CE. What makes you pick it over the Z?

I have made all sorts of 10+ hour trips in the C5 and don't have even a slight complaint. The biggest bonus is that it has a LOT more storage room than the C4 for road trips. The only DD C4 I have ever had was a bone stock 87 Z51 so it of course lacked some of the comforts and later generation seats of the later models. After 10 hours in that thing, I couldn't wait to get out.

...and before people start getting butthurt like usually seems to happen in these threads, I am not bashing the C4. Just asking a question.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:34 PM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
Interesting that you would pick the CE. What makes you pick it over the Z?

I have made all sorts of 10+ hour trips in the C5 and don't have even a slight complaint. The biggest bonus is that it has a LOT more storage room than the C4 for road trips. The only DD C4 I have ever had was a bone stock 87 Z51 so it of course lacked some of the comforts and later generation seats of the later models. After 10 hours in that thing, I couldn't wait to get out.

...and before people start getting butthurt like usually seems to happen in these threads, I am not bashing the C4. Just asking a question.
In the interest of full disclosure, my Z06 is lowered 1.5", has a fairly agressive alignment, long tube headers with no cats and 18" 40 profile tires, so the ride is a bit harsh and the decible level kind of on the high side. That aside, the CE is softer sprung, inherently quieter and has more interior storage space than the FRH ZO6.
Cire
Old 03-06-2012, 02:37 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by cire96
In the interest of full disclosure, my Z06 is lowered 1.5", has a fairly agressive alignment, long tube headers with no cats and 18" 40 profile tires, so the ride is a bit harsh and the decible level kind of on the high side. That aside, the CE is softer sprung, inherently quieter and has more interior storage space than the FRH ZO6.
Cire
Well... that might explain it!

Although with storage space, I have always been a fan of the actual trunk area of the Z (I have a partition in mine) as opposed to the under glass storage on the C4. I've always been able to fit more stuff comfortably into the '02.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,535 Likes on 874 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by mike100
If the battery in the C6 remote fob dies or gets weak, you can simply take the end cap off of it and there is a slot in the glove box to plug it in to enable the starter function. there is also an actual key inside the fob attached to the end cap that will open the back hatch where u can reach a cable actuated door release if the battery dies.

It's no big deal, except that every person you ever loan the car to has to be taught how to drive again...like opening the door is even unique.

Yes, the traction control is quick to intervene, but there are 4 different modes that allow different things (incl off). Things happen a lot faster in C5/6's because they are capable faster cornering speeds with less understeer. The rear transaxle weight balance increases the limit, but sort of at the same time makes the car a little more difficult to keep control of if you let your reflexes stay slow.

Pop the trunk with the key, pull a cable and you are in. I also really liked the power top in my roadster.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:34 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I've drove the C5 and the C6. I like the C6 more than the C5, but I don't see me getting rid of my C4 anytime soon for one. Plus my C4 is paid for.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 compared to my c4

Old 03-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Wezel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about both?

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
But that's why we all have an opinion isn't it?
Yeah; those too.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Cavi
Pro

the wife would freak if I kept both...
Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist