C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit 600cfm Carburetor Review

Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Summit 600cfm Carburetor Review

Product evaluation of Summit's 600cfm VS carburetor:
Package arrived in a well protected box,carb was sealed in plastic.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Contents included carb,dvd,fuel line,base gasket,connector for choke,some fittings,and throttle connections.
[IMG][/IMG]
Carb view linkage
[IMG][/IMG]
Carb view choke
[IMG][/IMG]
Top view annular boosters
[IMG][/IMG]
Bottom view butterflies
[IMG][/IMG]
Fuel Bowl's & the new QFT adjustable vacuum secondaries.Had some loose debris in the secondary bowl,blew out all passages.
[IMG][/IMG]
Top cover with floats,easy to remove the top cover.Remove screws holding the choke pull the small clevis pin on the choke rod,remove the 8 top screws and the air cleaner stud and it pops off.Jet changes are a breeze no fuel to drain.Jets were correct 67 pri 73 sec pv is 6.5
[IMG][/IMG]
Power valve bottom of carb along with the accel pump:
[IMG][/IMG]
Side by side shot:
[IMG][/IMG]
Holley S/A 570 on motor old carb:
[IMG][/IMG]
New Summit 600 cfm :
[IMG][/IMG]
Overall carb looks great nice casting,no problems on the install.Instructions were well documented easy to follow.My 350 started right up,adj the fuel bowl's was ez with the sight windows.Idle was really high had to adj the sec butterflies which I could get to with out removing the carb.Set idle ,adj fuel mixture now I need to go for a test run but it was late so will have to do that on Saturday.Motor shuts down instantly and she fires right up.So far I'm pleased with this carb,it uses mostly Holley parts and the bowl is one piece.The power valve is under the carb so you would have to remove the carb to make changes.I could never get the S/A 570 to idle right and no amount of adjustments would cure the rich idle mixture.The motor idles much smoother with this carb and the idle mixture seems to be much better.I was able to get 15in hg of vacuum.Will update when I go for a test run.....Aloha's

Last edited by iokepakai; 02-24-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put one one my 71 last fall and really like it. The price is very attractive.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:43 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

That's cool you like the carb! Did you change the jet sizes? This carb seems to be all Holley except the body,and the booster clusters.Adjustments are really ez on this carb,I love the sight windows for the fuel level.
I sprung for the remanufactured carb thinking all the defects would be worked out,it was a little cheaper than a new one.I'm anxious to see how this carb performs with the annular boosters.Before going to work I had to see how she starts up cold and I wasn't disappointed! Hit the pedal to close the choke and she fired right up...yahooo....
Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

These are simply rebadged holley 4010 carbs with a few updates. The originals had some fuel line routing issues that the redone summit version has fixed.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:48 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

The 4010 and 4011 carb was Holley's attemp to modernize thier carbs. But sales was so bad Holley had to drop production - no-one wanted a carb that didn't look like a Holley no matter the improvements. Glad to see Summit picked up the rights and tooling - and at a great price to us.

Thx for sharing ioky,
cardo0
Old 02-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by iokepakai
That's cool you like the carb! Did you change the jet sizes? This carb seems to be all Holley except the body,and the booster clusters.Adjustments are really ez on this carb,I love the sight windows for the fuel level.
I sprung for the remanufactured carb thinking all the defects would be worked out,it was a little cheaper than a new one.I'm anxious to see how this carb performs with the annular boosters.Before going to work I had to see how she starts up cold and I wasn't disappointed! Hit the pedal to close the choke and she fired right up...yahooo....
Mine is a re-manufactured as well. I have not done anything to it other than set the float level. Runs pretty good right out the box.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Do you guys see any improvement in fuel mileage with these carbs? I'm thinking about getting one. I like the idea of dropping 5 lbs. with an aluminum carb, along with the ease of tuning. I'm wondering if the annular discharge boosters have an effect on fuel efficiency, though.

Keep it between the ditches!
Scott
Old 02-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Do you guys see any improvement in fuel mileage with these carbs? I'm thinking about getting one. I like the idea of dropping 5 lbs. with an aluminum carb, along with the ease of tuning. I'm wondering if the annular discharge boosters have an effect on fuel efficiency, though.
I got a real good deal on an Edelbrock 750 with manual secondary's.

The engine runs good and the exhaust looks just about right.

It does stumble from time to time.

I know it's to big and have been thinking about replacing it.

An improved Holley sounds pretty good to me.

Ralph
Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ralphbf
I got a real good deal on an Edelbrock 750 with manual secondary's.

The engine runs good and the exhaust looks just about right.

It does stumble from time to time.

I know it's to big and have been thinking about replacing it.

An improved Holley sounds pretty good to me.

Ralph
We are talking about Summit Racing's store brand 4 barrel carb.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-M08600VS/

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Me too.

In this thread someone stated this was a holley design that didn't sell well because it didn't have the Holley look.

Ralph
Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

I wish I could tell you if the mileage has improved or not but I do not have a fair comparison. When I got my car it was not running the carburetor that went with the car was in pieces and some of them missing. I put a Edelbrock that I had on it to get it running but it ran rich so I bought the Summit.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Default Update

Went for a test run on Sunday cuz Saturday was raining and I just cleaned the vette and didn't want to get it dirty haha!
This carb continues to impress me for sure.Motor started right up fast idle 1500rpm and with a slight tap she settled down and continued to warm up at about 1100rpm.After a few minutes the choke pulled off and she had a steady idle at 850rpm,she never did that before.I always had to mess with the idle with the old carb.No popping or sputtering while pulling out of garage.With the old carb it had to be fully warmed up before starting off.Now I'm getting a smile on my face.Took the vette for a cruise around the neighborhood,she's running smooth so lets go for a longer test drive,get some ethanol free fuel,put this carb to the test.Drive out to my lonely test road make sure 5-0 is not lurking anywhere and drop the hammer down! Holy crap vette pulls strong through all gears no hesitation what so ever.Now this is how this 350 should run,nice and strong,Smile gets even bigger.After a few blast down the test road I shut her off to see if she will heat soak and pull a plug to see how she's running.Plug looks good with the stock jetting,plugs were always black with the old carb.Ok let's see how she starts hot,after a quick crank she fired right up and the idle was rock steady around 850rpm right where I had set it on Thursday.I always had a problem keeping the idle where I set it with the old carb.Where I live I have to climb some steep hills so I was curious to see how she would pull on those hills going home and I was not disappointed.Part throttle power and then going to 3/4 throttle and on to full throttle which was really not needed but sure felt good!
I'll give the Summit carb a !It may look like an old design but they must have taken care of the problems that caused it to fail.It seems to be set up perfect for my mild 350.It is a lot lighter,doesn't heat soak like the old carb did and it idles great.There is a lot of adjustability built into it using mostly Holley parts.You can change the idle air bleeds,and change accellerator squirters by removing the booster cluster.Those parts must be purchased through Summit.The DVD that comes with the carb shows you how to do it if needed.
Can't say anything about the MPG cuz I had my foot in it every chance I had, more smiles! Carb is way lighter and the price is very reasonable,I paid 229.99 for a reman unit plus shipping.This carb has good street manners and will scream when you want it to.Wish I had a girlfriend that was like that! Aloha's .....

Last edited by iokepakai; 02-27-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:01 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Went for a test run on Sunday cuz Saturday was raining and I just cleaned the vette and didn't want to get it dirty haha!
This carb continues to impress me for sure.Motor started right up fast idle 1500rpm and with a slight tap she settled down and continued to warm up at about 1100rpm.After a few minutes the choke pulled off and she had a steady idle at 850rpm,she never did that before.I always had to mess with the idle with the old carb.No popping or sputtering while pulling out of garage.With the old carb it had to be fully warmed up before starting off.Now I'm getting a smile on my face.Took the vette for a cruise around the neighborhood,she's running smooth so lets go for a longer test drive,get some ethanol free fuel,put this carb to the test.Drive out to my lonely test road make sure 5-0 is not lurking anywhere and drop the hammer down! Holy crap vette pulls strong through all gears no hesitation what so ever.Now this is how this 350 should run,nice and strong,Smile gets even bigger.After a few blast down the test road I shut her off to see if she will heat soak and pull a plug to see how she's running.Plug looks good with the stock jetting,plugs were always black with the old carb.Ok let's see how she starts hot,after a quick crank she fired right up and the idle was rock steady around 850rpm right where I had set it on Thursday.I always had a problem keeping the idle where I set it with the old carb.Where I live I have to climb some steep hills so I was curious to see how she would pull on those hills going home and I was not disappointed.Part throttle power and then going to 3/4 throttle and on to full throttle which was really not needed but sure felt good!
I'll give the Summit carb a !It may look like an old design but they must have taken care of the problems that caused it to fail.It seems to be set up perfect for my mild 350.It is a lot lighter,doesn't heat soak like the old carb did and it idles great.There is a lot of adjustability built into it using mostly Holley parts.You can change the idle air bleeds,and change accellerator squirters by removing the booster cluster.Those parts must be purchased through Summit.The DVD that comes with the carb shows you how to do it if needed.
Can't say anything about the MPG cuz I had my foot in it every chance I had, more smiles! Carb is way lighter and the price is very reasonable,I paid 229.99 for a reman unit plus shipping.This carb has good street manners and will scream when you want it to.Wish I had a girlfriend that was like that! Aloha's .....

"This carb has good street manners and will scream when you want it to.Wish I had a girlfriend that was like that!"

:o:hu rray::bb

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 02-27-2012, 02:24 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Default Fuel line

For those that are interested I used Summits adjustable fuel line with the filter and fuel pressure gauge that I had mounted for the old carb.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3120-1/?rtype=10
[IMG][/IMG]
Just had to use a tubing cutting and trim 3/8 inch off the end of the rear fuel line that goes into the filter housing.Worked out great no leaks.Read on some forums that some guys had trouble with the supplied fuel line leaking...
Old 02-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

For those that are interested I used Summits adjustable fuel line with the filter and fuel pressure gauge that I had mounted for the old carb.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3120-1/?rtype=10
[IMG][/IMG]
Just had to use a tubing cutting and trim 3/8 inch off the end of the rear fuel line that goes into the filter housing.Worked out great no leaks.Read on some forums that some guys had trouble with the supplied fuel line leaking...
What are you using for a throttle cable bracket?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:03 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Default Throttle Bracket

Using this throttle bracket.No more auto trans so not using the kickdown cable anymore...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1414/?rtype=10
[IMG][/IMG]
There are several other types you can use,depends on how you want it to look....

Get notified of new replies

To Summit 600cfm Carburetor Review

Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Thanks, I am using the stock bracket which will eventually fail if not modified. I see some of the fancy brackets run 70, 80 plus.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Fuel line pic:[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-02-2012, 07:54 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Great review, thank-you for this post I am sure many of us have been wondering about this Summit branded carb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Summit 600cfm Carburetor Review