Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Photo: What Terminal Crimper will work?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Caliber350
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Photo: What Terminal Crimper will work?

What model terminal crimper will crimp these double wire crimps?

Delphi PDF Catalog: delphi.com/pdf/contact/brochures/DCS_GlobalCatalog.pdf

Their crimper tools are on pages 378-379.

Model No: 12040070 is the only one that mentions “doubles”, but sells for $90 and has limited usefulness, since I won't be crimping many doubles. I'd prefer one to do both doubles and singles. I’ll be using it for wires 0.35 - 3.0 mm^2 (possibly larger on future jobs).

Has anybody used the "S & G Tool Aid 18920 Ratcheting Terminal Crimping Kit- 5 Piece"???

Would that work on both?

I’d prefer one tool, possibly with interchangeable dies, to handle as many jobs as possible.

I prefer to use a crimper. I don't want this to turn into another crimp vs. solder debate.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

I've used kits similar to the S&G, they work great on just about any size wire or terminal.

However, 99% of what I crimp is done with one of these. I haven't had any problems yet.

Even with double wires, if you twist them together first you shouldn't have any issues with the crimp.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by markcz
I've used kits similar to the S&G, they work great on just about any size wire or terminal.

However, 99% of what I crimp is done with one of these. I haven't had any problems yet.

Even with double wires, if you twist them together first you shouldn't have any issues with the crimp.
other then for rg6 or cat5 I use these exact same crimpers and I work in railroad industry where vibrations are a huge concern and NEVER an issue
Old 02-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Caliber350
Racer

I'm sure that by twisting them together you can get a great crimp on the copper core, but how about the insulation crimp?

The insulation crimp is important as it places the fulcrum on the insulation, instead of the more brittle core. I've seen plenty of problems (often intermittent) caused by bad insulation crimps, although they had great core crimps. The copper strands tend to bend and break at that point.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:35 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

If the wire is breaking under the insulation crimp it was probably crimped too tight. Squeeze until you see stars on the wire, but just enough to get it snug on the insulation.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Caliber350
Racer

If the wire is breaking under the insulation crimp it was probably crimped too tight. Squeeze until you see stars on the wire, but just enough to get it snug on the insulation.
They're not breaking under the insulation. They break on the uninsulated part between the two crimps. This happens more often where the wire harness takes a sharp bend, is in a confined space, or experiences a good amount of movement. For example, i'm currently working on the connectors located between the door and fender, and at least two wires are showing signs of wear there.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:11 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

If it's breaking the wire between the two crimps that would make me think the insulation crimp wasn't tight enough

If you're replacing the wires make sure you add enough slack so it doesn't get stressed this time
Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Caliber350
Racer

If it's breaking the wire between the two crimps that would make me think the insulation crimp wasn't tight enough

If you're replacing the wires make sure you add enough slack so it doesn't get stressed this time
Precisely...

--------------------------------------------

Do you know if the 18920 (5 piece kit) includes the same die that comes on the Tool Aid 18930, which is specifically for "weatherpack" terminals?

Last edited by Caliber350; 02-23-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How about one like this?

It's made for crimping Molex connectors, and looks similar to what you need. You can also get different dies for other style crimps, too.

I have a cheap D-Sub crimp tool from Radio Shack that I use to crimp small connectors, but it's not good for anything buffets than say 20 awg.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Fasthotrod; 02-24-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Caliber350
Racer

Thanks Fasthotrod!

I got some info directly from Tool Aid that wasn't on their website, and I ended up ordering the Tool Aid 18960 kit which includes 7 dies.
Die 18922 is for 10-22awg weatherpack terminals.

The 18960 was only $10 more than the 5 piece 18620

Advantages vs 18920 are:
Two extra dies. [One does spark plugs wires.]
Quick release mechanism to quickly swap dies (no screws).
Longer handles for more leverage.

They also have a new 18937 die (sold separately from either kit) for smaller 18-30awg weatherpack terminals, which I did not order and hopefully won't need.

Get notified of new replies

To Photo: What Terminal Crimper will work?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Photo: What Terminal Crimper will work?