Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint / Fiberglass damage

Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 PM
vetternr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paint / Fiberglass damage

Does anyone have any expert advice or experience about repairing a paint damaged area on a C3 ( 1972 ) rear deck near the spoiler ? I was unfortunate to have left a towel with some hydraulic jack fluid on it. The paint originally bubbled up ( an area of about 1/2 square foot ). It has widened in the last 6 months or so to an area of about 1 square foot. I dont know for sure what to do about it as it might be down to the fiberglass ? Should I sand it down, paint strip it with a chemical stripper and what about if it got into the fiberglass ?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

It sounds as though the oil is wicking through the glass. I have seen several comments on contaminated glass being cleaned with blue Dawn dishwashing soap. You will have to sand off the paint beyond the bubbled area and wash it with the soap, let dry in the sun and repeat several times. If unsuccessful, the glass may need to be removed and replaced. Someone else will likely chime in with other ideas. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:35 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Getting oil out is a long, slow process. You need to get the paint off first. Chem strip it. Then it needs to sit in a warm environment. Best is out in the sun on hot days. Every time you see oil on the surface, wipe it off with lacquer thinner. It can take weeks until it stops.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

first remove the paint with razor blade and sandpaper. using a hair dryer heat the area some then apply talcum powder . if there is oil present it will be drawn into the talc much like speedy dry. when you feel the talc is no longer absorbing anything wash with dawn soap and hot water. it may take several times to get it. finish up with water base wax and grease remover the epoxy .

you need to disperse the oil . any solvent will dilute it and embed it further into the glass. that is the worst thing you can do.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint / Fiberglass damage

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint / Fiberglass damage