C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Repro Body kit

Old 02-05-2012, 09:33 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C2 Repro Body kit

Does anyone know who makes a reproduction C2 body kit that will fit a C5 rolling chassis. I saw a picture of what looked like a 62 body on a C5 chassis but I don't know who built it or exactly whats available. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Here you go
http://www.crcoachworks.com/index.phtml
Old 02-06-2012, 06:29 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

If you're looking for a "kit" in the truest sense, like a box of parts, some instructions, and you build it, there is no such thing. CRC uses specially made panels that they glue "over" an existing body.
HiTek hotrods is the distributor for a C1 and C2 body, but they are very expensive to complete, and require lots of fabrication, including a custom frame. http://www.hitekhotrods.com/corvette.html

Mike Coletta
Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta
If you're looking for a "kit" in the truest sense, like a box of parts, some instructions, and you build it, there is no such thing. CRC uses specially made panels that they glue "over" an existing body.
HiTek hotrods is the distributor for a C1 and C2 body, but they are very expensive to complete, and require lots of fabrication, including a custom frame. http://www.hitekhotrods.com/corvette.html

Mike Coletta
hitek is no longer. the builder there jake burton is still there and goes
by burtonsmotorwerks. jim
he has been very honest and has done good work for me. jim
Old 02-06-2012, 04:02 PM
iluvhockey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guy on criagslist listed this as he has one of thier body locally for sale.

www.usbodysource.com

maybe you can give them a call. Looks like fiberglass only for kit cars no birdcage.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,927 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by iluvhockey
I guy on criagslist listed this as he has one of thier body locally for sale.

www.usbodysource.com

maybe you can give them a call. Looks like fiberglass only for kit cars no birdcage.
they are made for drag cars with a tube chassis
Old 02-06-2012, 06:25 PM
al89
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

c5 does not have a rolling frame all you get is a front end a rear end and a torque tube joing them together i have dissaembled many
Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyTz06
Does anyone know who makes a reproduction C2 body kit that will fit a C5 rolling chassis. I saw a picture of what looked like a 62 body on a C5 chassis but I don't know who built it or exactly whats available. Any help would be appreciated.
I've built a similar car, but it was a lot of work, and the result wasn't real well received in the Corvette community over there.
Rather than try and explain what and why we did it, ceckout the website on www.prodigy-z06.com

If you have any questions you can pm me, or email me through the website.
There's no right or wrong way to go about any project, it's just what YOU want to achieve.
Rgds
Ross
Old 02-06-2012, 06:51 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Originally Posted by al89
c5 does not have a rolling frame all you get is a front end a rear end and a torque tube joing them together i have dissaembled many
Looks like CRC is a C1 look alike, not a C2 as the OP asked about. al89 is correct about C5s. The only way I have seen to do what the OP is asking about is to have a C2 donor for the body, a C5 donor for the running gear, and use a custom frame from Newman. Try

newmancarcreations.com

They're in Templeton, CA next to Paso Robles, just north of san Luis Obispo. and right in the heart of the central coast wine country!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Sorry mate, but that's not right.
You peel the body off and you are left with a rolling frame. The C5 chassis is lighter and almost 4 times stronger than anything Corvettes have used previously.
It is a big ask to install a C2 body on, it is doable, but huge mods are necessary. Easier to install a C1 body because of the longer wheelbase.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Looks like CRC is a C1 look alike, not a C2 as the OP asked about. ...
Ack! He said "C2" and I saw "62". Doh!

Here's a photograph I just took of myself...

Last edited by 62Jeff; 02-06-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Downs Industries builds both a 62 body and a 67 Coupe body. Have never seen one in person, but if it as nice as their street rod bodies, it will be nice. That being said, it is not the body that costs money, it is all the little odds, ends and trim that can really run into some money.

http://www.downsindustries.com/

I think that you are always better off buying an original donor car, just to get all the other pieces that you will need.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by aussieross01
You peel the body off and you are left with a rolling frame. The C5 chassis is lighter and almost 4 times stronger than anything Corvettes have used previously.
It is a big ask to install a C2 body on, it is doable, but huge mods are necessary. Easier to install a C1 body because of the longer wheelbase.
but it does not have a "frame" like a mid year. its a uni body construction car.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM
al89
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by aussieross01
you peel the body off and there is NO frame but there is a wood floor no frame as i said i have wrecked many and have built many cars useing the c4 and c5 running gear
Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

Thanks for the imput guys. The CRC car is the one that I saw in the picture. It seems that they do the mods themselves and don't sell any body panels. I will give all of the companies referenced and see if any of them can fill my needs. Converting an original C1 or C2 body to fit a C5 is way to much trouble. I was hoping that some one made a body specifically to fit a C5 that I could purchase and do the install at our shop. Does anyone have any more leads?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the imput guys. The CRC car is the one that I saw in the picture. It seems that they do the mods themselves and don't sell any body panels. I will give all of the companies referenced and see if any of them can fill my needs. Converting an original C1 or C2 body to fit a C5 is way to much trouble. I was hoping that some one made a body specifically to fit a C5 that I could purchase and do the install at our shop. Does anyone have any more leads?
buy one that is done.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

What !!! Buy one already done and miss the flustriation, pure hell, busted knuckles, headaches, having to fabricate things ten times, etc. and then the gratification of finally completing it and saying I done it myself. Not on your life.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Repro Body kit

Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

What !!! Buy one already done and miss the flustriation, pure hell, busted knuckles, headaches, having to fabricate things ten times, etc. and then the gratification of finally completing it and saying I done it myself. Not on your life.
then have fun destroying a C5 for a passing fad
Old 02-06-2012, 08:55 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

you peel the body off and there is NO frame but there is a wood floor no frame as i said i have wrecked many and have built many cars useing the c4 and c5 running gear
Check the webpage on my project www.prodigy-z06.com and then come back and tell me there's no chassis on a C5.

I haven't been working on a mirage for the last 6 years. I'm sorry, I don't care how many you've wrecked over the years:- C5's have a chassis, and it's a darn good one, which is why we chose to use it for our project.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 AM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
but it does not have a "frame" like a mid year. its a uni body construction car.
No, it doesn't have a frame 'like' a C2, but it has one nevertheless.

As we all know a C2 body bolts onto the C2 frame. It's been a while since I've done one, but it's 8 bolts for memory.

The C5 uses a perimeter frame, with a centre structural tunnel that provides fantastic structural rigidity. The rear boot tub is glued to the frame, and the rear panels then screw onto the tub. The front wheel wells are again glued to the frame and the front guards screw to these wheel wells.

C5's are not uni body constructed cars as you suggest. Unibodied vehicles rely on the floorpan attached to the body to give its structural integrity:- C5 construction is nothing like this

Hope this clear this up guys, let's give this poor OP some correct information.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C2 Repro Body kit