C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top will not latch!!! (Short rant)

Old 01-20-2012, 09:26 AM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Top will not latch!!! (Short rant)

Damn top!!!

Since I'm a south Floridian my top stays in he trunk most of the time... Yesterday my wife and I went to visit one of my franchisees and since it was a another bueatiful South Florida day we decided to take the Corvette instead of the Sedan...

Well when it was time to head home the temp had dropped some so it was time to put the top on..

Well the dang rear center latch won't engage... After about 10 minutes of F'n with it we just headed home with it un latched as since it's the rear the pins should hold the top in fine..

Guess I have to take it to the dealer for repair which is something I hate to do.

Rant done... (I did say short rant)
Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 AM
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good Rant...always good to unload every now and again
Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

Sounds like it should be a simple fix, dealer shouldn't be able to wreck too much on your car (you know how those dealers are)

Good luck on the repair.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by topper7788
Damn top!!!

Since I'm a south Floridian my top stays in he trunk most of the time... Yesterday my wife and I went to visit one of my franchisees and since it was a another bueatiful South Florida day we decided to take the Corvette instead of the Sedan...

Well when it was time to head home the temp had dropped some so it was time to put the top on..

Well the dang rear center latch won't engage... After about 10 minutes of F'n with it we just headed home with it un latched as since it's the rear the pins should hold the top in fine..

Guess I have to take it to the dealer for repair which is something I hate to do.

Rant done... (I did say short rant)
Never heard of this problem before, let us know what they find.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

One quick thing you can check: make sure the front end of the latch doesn't get caught on the trim/headliner. Happens to mine now and then, just have to give it a little push and the problem is solved.

Sonny
Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Have you had a chance to visit the dealer? Please keep us posted. Feel free to contact me with any questions that may arise. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 AM
marathon
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Happened to me also and the forward latch was stuck in the locked/closed position which keeps the handle from engaging. Simply flipped it down and the problem has yet to return.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 PM
JLargo
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by marathon
Happened to me also and the forward latch was stuck in the locked/closed position which keeps the handle from engaging. Simply flipped it down and the problem has yet to return.
This happened to me once, took a minute to figure it out. When you release the rear latch put your hand on it so it doesn't spring open hard. This will prevent it from happening as well.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Have you had a chance to visit the dealer? Please keep us posted. Feel free to contact me with any questions that may arise. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Thanks Tricia (guess GM made a change to who is monitoring the forum again)

Haven't taken it in yet... Probably will try and make an appointment for next week some time....I don't expect any issues as I'm sure it's a simple fix... At worst they will need to order a new rear latch and the car is certainly drivable the rear guide posts should be sufficient to hold the top in as I'm not planning any high speed driving with the top on till I get this handled or I can put on my body colored top....(it's the clear on with the issue) I have two tops....

Get notified of new replies

To Top will not latch!!! (Short rant)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top will not latch!!! (Short rant)