C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Benchtest a digital dash

Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 AM
raiderz
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Benchtest a digital dash

Hello:

I have a digital dash out of my 86 that i have done a few different solder repairs to.

How do i bench test this unit to see if everything is working??

I bought a used replacement dash that is in the car right now.

Thanks in advance

Ray
Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think GM had a machine to test these dashes. I assume you went to batee.com for your basic info. Look for the wiring diagrams and schematics for the connector pin values and at least make sure your inputs are correct. That should help determine whether or not the fault is at the dash.

Other than that, plug it in and see.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 PM
raiderz
Pro

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
I think GM had a machine to test these dashes. I assume you went to batee.com for your basic info. Look for the wiring diagrams and schematics for the connector pin values and at least make sure your inputs are correct. That should help determine whether or not the fault is at the dash.

Other than that, plug it in and see.
Yes...Batee.com is where i got my direction from.

I was hoping to avoid having to haul the dash apart again just to test this repaired unit.
Thought i might be able to apply some voltage to a few pins on the plug-ins and light something up that way.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
golfnstuff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test device for Digital Instr. Cluster

I've seen a test device offered for about $275 dollars on-line. It was a private builder of the device. It's a real pain to disconnect the cluster and then re-connect to test it. I'd like to build a longer pigtail connector so I could plug it in temporarily outside of the dash but haven't been able to find the 24 pin and 32 pin male and female connectors to do this. I've done a couple cluster repairs myself and have had to bite the bullet and just re-install it. Some of the Vette repair shops do have the test device but I don't know what they'd charge to just test your cluster.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

It depends on how much you want to test. My tester can generate all the sensor inputs, including VSS. If you simply need to verify that all your lights and LCDs are working, the initial self test that the cluster goes through when power is first applied would suffice.

Here is a cluster on my bench when power is first applied:

Here is is with simulated inputs:

The pins you'll need are all on the 32 pin connector:

This is from memory, but to get the cluster to self test, all you need to do is apply 12vDC to pins C16 and D16 and a ground to pin D1.

Last edited by Ray Quayle; 01-16-2012 at 11:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
85Proof (11-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Geardo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info
Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 AM
raiderz
Pro

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
It depends on how much you want to test. My tester can generate all the sensor inputs, including VSS. If you simply need to verify that all your lights and LCDs are working, the initial self test that the cluster goes through when power is first applied would suffice.

This is from memory, but to get the cluster to self test, all you need to do is apply 12vDC to pins C16 and D16 and a ground to pin D1.
That is fantastic information...Thanks Ray Quayle.

I think i'll give the power up test a go.

I changed the big 12 pin connector that joins 2 boards together. Mine was burned pretty bad and i was getting no display lights in the coolant temps/volts area. I also dropped some more solder on a more than a few suspect looking areas.

I will probably spend the hour or so in the spring and swap out the dashes to verify all sensors are working with the repaired dash.

Thanks again for the great info..........

Get notified of new replies

To Benchtest a digital dash

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Benchtest a digital dash