C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer Control Center

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 AM
c3sleeper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer Control Center

I'm swapping the engine in my 81 Vette and I was wondering if anyone on here had done it before. What all does the Computer control in the 81 and how can it be transferred over to the new motor? If it cant is there anyone who makes modules to transfer to say a 383 stroker motor.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:54 AM
wajulia
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Why do you want to transfer the computer? What restrictions do you have for state inspection. You will need to have all the equipment on your emissions sticker, but I dont believe the computer is one of them. (AIR,EGR,CAT,Carbon Filter I think)

So if you want to remove the computer put a vacuum advanced distributor and a carb on the engine you have no need for the computer (it also locks up the torque converter, so depending on your tranny combo you may have to address that). that allows you to take out all the computer stuff and toss it.

If saying all this you still want to put the computer on, you should be able to fairly easily. Keep the 81 carb and distributor. You will need to install the water temp sensor, O2 sensor and make sure the MAPP sensor stays connected. The MAPP sensor is on the firewall and only needs vaccum input. There will be no computer mods necessary, the computer and the carb should be able to keep up with the 383. Be prepared if you go this way that there will be a lot of people who will wonder why. It will be a really unique and interesting combinations.

I am a great believer in the 81 computer system, but you my be the first to transfer it to a new 383 build.

Contact me before you toss all the computer stuff, I may want to take some from you . Good luck.

Last edited by wajulia; 01-08-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Why swap? Build your stock 350 into a 383. No problems with computer stuff.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Marlin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want go to a 383 and still have computer control look into a megasquirt. Can control spark and fuel injection.

But since you have a 3speed auto and a Carb (guessing) just get a vacuum Dist and keep it simple.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:09 PM
c3sleeper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlin
If you want go to a 383 and still have computer control look into a megasquirt. Can control spark and fuel injection.

But since you have a 3speed auto and a Carb (guessing) just get a vacuum Dist and keep it simple.
It's actually a 4-speed Muncie with a 2.72 rear.

Get notified of new replies

To Computer Control Center

Quick Reply: Computer Control Center