Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

My Master Blaster Review.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:48 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Default My Master Blaster Review.

Let me preface this by saying that this is a good product that does the job.
I’ve thought about buying one for myself for several years now but just could not wrap my head around spending $300 for a blow dryer.
I’m not a professional, but detailing my own cars has been a hobby of mine since I started driving more than 40 years ago.
There are a total of 5 cars in my household and although I’m not nearly as fussy with the three daily drivers as I am with my Corvette and GTO, I do like to try to keep up with them.
I’ve been using an electric leaf blower to dry my cars for years and was always pretty satisfied with the results.
My wife is always bugging me to see what I want for Christmas or other occasions because I’m a little hard to buy for. If I see something I want, I usually just go and get it. This year while I was giving her my wish list I told her that if she really wanted to get me something that I’d love to have but wouldn’t spend the money on it myself, the Master Blaster is it.
Santa brought it for me and I got my first chance to use it today.
I really love it! It is very comfortable to use and the rubber nozzle is easy to maneuver so that you can get in all the nooks and crannies that water likes to hide in.
Now for the downside:
As great as this product is, it is not six or seven times better than the electric leaf blower. Yet it costs that much more than a decent electric one from the local big box store. It does a slightly better job, but seems to take a bit longer because of the smaller diameter in the nozzle and my natural tendency to get a little closer to the surface than I would with the blower.
I always liked to get the surface about 90% dry with the leaf blower and finish the last drops with a waffle weave and some QD. I used the Master Blaster to get the car 100% dry today just to see how it worked. It did a fine job but took that much longer, and I would probably still routinely follow up with a QD and soft microfiber just to get that extra little pop after the wash.
Conclusion:
If you have $300 lying around or a wife that wants to get you something extravagant then the Master Blaster is the way to go.
If neither of the above applies to you then stick with the $50 electric leaf blower. You can get just as good results in about the same amount of time if you use it correctly.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I was an avid leaf blower for years, got my MasterBlaster and so happy with the upgrade. Its worth the money in build quality over the plastic leaf blower. It also gets into smaller cracks and really moves more water than the leaf blower. My hope is it will last for years and ultimately cost very little once you factor in the number of uses.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 PM
hb4lthr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No thanks...I'll stick to my leaf blower Thanks for the write up! As much as I like Autogeek, at the end of the day, they're in business to sell stuff.....you don't necessarily need everything that they or any vendor sells.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:16 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by JVM225

It does a slightly better job, but seems to take a bit longer because of the smaller diameter in the nozzle and my natural tendency to get a little closer to the surface than I would with the blower.
Now that you mention it......
I also need to run some 20 amp power to the outlet I use. I trip the 15 amp circuit after two minutes using the heater switch...but I still have mega "blow" on one motor.
The nozzle could be cut back for a larger hole diameter (a new nozzle is $7.50 is you don't like it)
I'll have to try the "flatten" tip it appears to blow a wider area.
I purchased two hose extensions so I have 30 total feet of reach and can leave the unit mounted and "blow" out in the driveway.

Last edited by John Ulrich; 12-30-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I was an avid leaf blower for years, got my MasterBlaster and so happy with the upgrade. Its worth the money in build quality over the plastic leaf blower. It also gets into smaller cracks and really moves more water than the leaf blower. My hope is it will last for years and ultimately cost very little once you factor in the number of uses.
Dont forget it "heats up"

Clif
Old 12-30-2011, 02:25 AM
Eminitrader
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to thread-jack. But is it better to run a M/Blaster on a 220? I have a post comparing the MB to a Metro vac n blow I got for Christmas and I think I want the M/b for sure.

Prices go up in a day or so, so I wasnt sure if I needed to order a 220 M/blaster or have a 220 line installed - or both!

Any input?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:16 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Eminitrader
Sorry to thread-jack. But is it better to run a M/Blaster on a 220? I have a post comparing the MB to a Metro vac n blow I got for Christmas and I think I want the M/b for sure.

Prices go up in a day or so, so I wasnt sure if I needed to order a 220 M/blaster or have a 220 line installed - or both!

Any input?
I have a 20 amp 110 outlet in my garage that I use for my portable compressor and that's what I've been using for my Master Blaster with no problems.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Eminitrader
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JVM225
I have a 20 amp 110 outlet in my garage that I use for my portable compressor and that's what I've been using for my Master Blaster with no problems.
Thanks!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Thanks for the great write-up and honest review. I will save my $300.00 for something else.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:33 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Eminitrader

Any input?
Sorry for confusion!!!!!!

I mean 15 amp to 20 amp
Old 12-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Eminitrader
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvilin
Thanks for the great write-up and honest review. I will save my $300.00 for something else.
you are a better man than I.. I couldnt resist temptation and ordered it... oh well whats one more Christmas present to me?? Right? My kids got tons of stuff
Old 12-30-2011, 05:51 PM
gsx1300r
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the write up! / comments
Old 01-01-2012, 11:53 AM
ROC OUT
Pro

OP, I am sorry that the MB didn't meet all your expectations. I have to say though that I bought one and love mine. I used to use a Toro leaf blower and it did not do nearly the job that the MB does. The MB heats the ambient air to a higher degree and completely dries my car. I don't need to go over it with mf towel or anything else. Plus, considering the the energy and elbow grease one uses to actually wash the car, once you're done washing, the MB really reduces the amount of energy/elbow grease that you have to complete the wash/dry process. Additionally, not having to "touch" the car with more towels/drying clothes, etc. after washing eliminates the potential for more clearcoat/surface scratches. Lastly, I find that drying the car with the MB is actually fun (call me weird) and something to look forward to after busting my azz cleaning front grill, tires, wheels, and engine bay of my car during each wash.

In any event, everyone is different. I just wanted to present another view pointing out a couple other advantages of owning a MB. BTW, I am not a vendor or seller of anything. Just a regular CF member with nothing to gain by saying I enjoy the MB.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:05 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

With last nights 20% off anything with no exclusions, I can tell you we sold quite a few Master Blasters before the new price increase. Theres going to be alot of happy users. Thanks to all that ordered them for New Years !

Get notified of new replies

To My Master Blaster Review.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Master Blaster Review.