Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track prep my Z06 carbon ...

Old 12-28-2011, 03:32 AM
mikymu
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Track prep my Z06 carbon ...

It's getting there slowly but surely. After getting the car two months ago I been waiting for the Xpel clear film to cover the whole car. I normally use Avery nano film but they been having trouble manufacturing it for months and Xpel ultimate has been on back order too. It was a painful wait as my car sit in the garage collecting dust.

Took me two weeks to cover the whole car working couple hours here and there every day. It's really a 2-3 man job and very difficult doing it all on my own. Next will be the OMP HTE seats, roll bar/cage and forgeline GA3R 18" wheels which are on their way. Hope to be on track in 1-2 months. Gordan told me to slowly mod the car as I track ... very sound advice.

Finally done with applying the clear film!

Stop by Thunderhill on Monday and say hi to Gordan ... the real speed racer!

1/13/12 update:

More ammo arrived today

LG 1 3/4" long tube exhaust

Forgeline GA3R. These wheels are amazing! 20 lbs front and 22 lbs rear. Even my kids are shocked lol

Bolts only between the spokes ... to save more weight?

Light weight 3 piece bling! 18X 10.5 front and 18X12.5 rear to fit the ceremic rotors. Sticky donuts coming soon

Last edited by mikymu; 01-13-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Gordan told me to slowly mod the car as I track ... very sound advice.
Is that your 997 cup car? If so I'd say you can handle nearly anything you throw at your carbon. if not, I'd say start slow and make sure that every mod to the car makes it better on track.

either way, congrats and have fun!!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:17 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

That car is freakin sweet! Have fun tracking that!! Wow.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Looking good!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice rides!

I wish my garage looked that neat.

Is that plastic like a wrap? Do you drape it on and then use a heat gun to finish it?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Never seen anyone wrap an entire car in clear bra material. Good idea! You are awarded +10 OCD points.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Very cool! That wrapping must have taken mega patients! It looks great though. Too much for me...
Old 12-28-2011, 01:20 PM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
Is that your 997 cup car? If so I'd say you can handle nearly anything you throw at your carbon. if not, I'd say start slow and make sure that every mod to the car makes it better on track.

either way, congrats and have fun!!
Yup, that's my GT3 Cup. I know what you are saying about the Cup. It is very difficult to drive and should make driving Z06 feel like a walk in the park. Will slowly mod the Z06 on a needed basis

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
That car is freakin sweet! Have fun tracking that!! Wow.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Falcon
Nice rides!

I wish my garage looked that neat.

Is that plastic like a wrap? Do you drape it on and then use a heat gun to finish it?
Trust me, my garage is a major mess. Will need to major face lift soon. Yes, it is clear film wrap and you do not use heat gun. You just apply and stretch to fit as needed then squeegee the soap water solution out form underneath.

Originally Posted by travisnd
Never seen anyone wrap an entire car in clear bra material. Good idea! You are awarded +10 OCD points.
lol

Yes, I am definitely OCD. I also wrap my GT3 Cup and another friend's 996 TT. Wrapping the car makes cleaning a snap after track event. Most dirt and smear just wash right off not to mention lack of rock chips.

Originally Posted by Kubs
Very cool! That wrapping must have taken mega patients! It looks great though. Too much for me...
Yeah, it takes alot of patience and time for sure
Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 PM
fleadh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good Mikymu! I had LG coilovers and swaybars (and CCW/RA1's) on my old C6Z and absolutely loved the way it drove on track. Once you get into the suspension I'd highly recommend Brandon Kraus over at Roger Kraus Racing to set the car up-- tell him I sent you. He did mine and it was the easiest to wheel and most balanced street car I've ever driven on a track.

I actually need to bring my ZR1 over to him as it was the worst car I've ever driven on track (i think the previous owner did some weird tire-saving alignment though... so I'm not hating on the car..).

-mike
Old 12-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice work mikymu! Tell gordon we said hi!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, both great looking vehicles! Have fun!

Tim
Old 12-28-2011, 08:43 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I'd much rather pay for a re-paint than wrap an entire car! Anyway, gorgeous car. Keep us informed as to how the brakes do for hard core track usage. Still have seen very little feedback regarding that.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Does the clear protection film ever show scratches or "dings"?
I have never had it done because I figured it would eventually show some sign of the above. With paint at least I can polish out any minor damage.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I have never had it done because I figured it would eventually show some sign of the above. With paint at least I can polish out any minor damage.
The clear bra cleans up just like paint as far as removing track turd marks goes.

It does get sand blasted right on the nose area.

It does get rock chip marks than cannot be filled in with paint so they stay looking bad.

And you can get rocks penetrating the film and paint (ask me how I know)

But the film can be removed and redone where necessary preserving the original paint

DH
Old 12-29-2011, 03:30 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:49 AM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by fleadh
Looking good Mikymu! I had LG coilovers and swaybars (and CCW/RA1's) on my old C6Z and absolutely loved the way it drove on track. Once you get into the suspension I'd highly recommend Brandon Kraus over at Roger Kraus Racing to set the car up-- tell him I sent you. He did mine and it was the easiest to wheel and most balanced street car I've ever driven on a track.

I actually need to bring my ZR1 over to him as it was the worst car I've ever driven on track (i think the previous owner did some weird tire-saving alignment though... so I'm not hating on the car..).

-mike
Thanks Mike for the advice. I have always consider Z06 and when we last spoke at Laguna Seca during your GT3 challange race about what Z06 can do on track it seal the deal. I don't know about the Kraus shops but will look into the matter. I normally use a local shop for alignment after deciding what I need. Yes, get your ZR1 tune up for the track

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
Nice work mikymu! Tell gordon we said hi!
Sure thing!

Originally Posted by Timz06
Wow, both great looking vehicles! Have fun!

Tim
Thanks Tim

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I'd much rather pay for a re-paint than wrap an entire car! Anyway, gorgeous car. Keep us informed as to how the brakes do for hard core track usage. Still have seen very little feedback regarding that.
I will only reapaint the car if it was in an accident. Clear film minimize every day use wear and test by 99% so your paint looks basically new after 5+ years of use. Will give feedback on the ceremic brakes for track duty

Originally Posted by trackboss
If you have an incident that will cause noticeable dent then clear fim will not be able to prevent the damage. It protect from rock chips, swiral marks and scratches really well and basically eliminate the problem. Yes, you can polish out most swirl marks with ease especially with Xpel and Avery films. They have infused top coats that repel stain and makes cleaning a snap. If someone walk by and try to key my Z06 they will be surprised. It will not leave a mark and I can basically buff out any streaks. There are inferior films just like inferior paints. Venture clear film is garbage. They stain and yellow easily and does not protect from rock chips well. So far my Avery film hold up super well on the GT3 Cup car against rock chips and stains
Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
The brakes are phenomenal for track use. Amazing cold bite once burnished, very very low unsprung weight, 4x the life of iron rotors, 2x the life of comparable iron race brake pads, no fade when hot.

The only down side is the initial cost of entry, and maintenance.

Get notified of new replies

To Track prep my Z06 carbon ...

Old 12-29-2011, 01:30 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

What color is that? Don't think I've ever seen an metallic orange 996. Is it a custom repaint? Factory paint to order option? Looks great

A buddy of mine had one of the special edition 987 Boxster Ss that came in Orange, but it was the GT-3 orange with no metallic.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

It's getting there slowly but surely. After getting the car two months ago I been waiting for the Xpel clear film to cover the whole car. I normally use Avery nano film but they been having trouble manufacturing it for months and Xpel ultimate has been on back order too. It was a painful wait as my car sit in the garage collecting dust.

Took me two weeks to cover the whole car working couple hours here and there every day. It's really a 2-3 man job and very difficult doing it all on my own. Next will be the OMP HTE seats, roll bar/cage and forgeline GA3R 18" wheels which are on their way. Hope to be on track in 1-2 months. Gordan told me to slowly mod the car as I track ... very sound advice.

Nice looking car My Carbon Ed is also in the process of being built right now and the first thing that I did was the clear bra too. On mine though I went with RaceTech 4900W seats as it's a dual use car so the head restraint portion obstructs view a little too much. Full compliment of Pfat parts, LG drop spindles etc. etc but I passed on the cage. Once we get a little closer to completion I'll see if we can get the builder to put up a thread on it so you can take a look!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:29 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Wow, you have more patience than I. .

Let's see some pics with the new rollers on it. Should be landing at your house shortly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track prep my Z06 carbon ...