C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

where to get a transverse leaf spring compressor (for rear spring on 93 vert)

Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default where to get a transverse leaf spring compressor (for rear spring on 93 vert)

Just curious...is this a regular 'loaner-type' tool from autozone or is this something special?

What did you use?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:50 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
What did you use?
Support rear of car
Jack spindle up to take weight off spring , undo spring bolt and lower
Then remove spring at diff mount
Old 12-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Floor jack & wood block.

Vehicle on jack stands.

Raise one spring end to releive pressure on the spring hangar bolt. Remove bolt.

Ditto for side 2.

Loosen 4 center clamp bolts.

Remove bolts from 1 side & collect the shims located between top of spring & mount. Keep them separate.

Remove remaining 2 bolts, collect the shims.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by rodj
Support rear of car
Jack spindle up to take weight off spring , undo spring bolt and lower
Then remove spring at diff mount
Respectfully disagree.

The spring hangs from the carrier. Raising the carrier places a heavier load on the spring.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:33 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes, put the rear of the car (frame supported)on jack stangs, the lift one end on the spring to relieve tension with the floor jack. Loosen the nut (after taking the cotter pin out) and when the floor jack is let down the end of the spring will be loose too.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Floor jack & wood block.

Vehicle on jack stands.

Raise one spring end to releive pressure on the spring hangar bolt. Remove bolt.

Ditto for side 2.

Loosen 4 center clamp bolts.

Remove bolts from 1 side & collect the shims located between top of spring & mount. Keep them separate.

Remove remaining 2 bolts, collect the shims.

Thats the way I've done it every time I've had to do something with the spring or knuckle that required the spring bolts to come out.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 AM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I also agree with Churchkey, however with the vehicle on jackstands I used a 2X8 (about the width of the car) placed directly under the spring. Then, I placed 2 20 TON bottle jacks on top of the board and raised the spring at each end slightly. With pressure relieved I removed the spring bolt nut. Then lowered springs slowly. As the springs dearched the bottle jacks will slide, but this must be done slowly and carefully. I removed my springs to install the Vansteel coilover kit.

The bottle jacks allowed me to do this project with the car raised high enough that the springs can be removed from the car. I used my harbor freight 20 TON press bottle jack and an air/hydraulic one I also purchased from Harbor Freight.

Good luck with your project!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

OK..so I dont need any special tools to do this. ?

What about reinstalling the spring? do i need a tool there?

btw all this work is to replace worn out ozone rotted batwing carrier bushings. I need to lower & remove the diff to do so .
Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
OK..so I dont need any special tools to do this. ?

What about reinstalling the spring? do i need a tool there?

btw all this work is to replace worn out ozone rotted batwing carrier bushings. I need to lower & remove the diff to do so .
Since I was putting it back together by myself I bolted the center section back to the carrier while it was supported by a jack (forget which one I used, probably the floor jack) then used the block of wood and jack to get the bolt on a couple threads, then did the other side.
Then run the nut up to the desired position. voila - no reall muss, fuss or other issues
Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by armysnipe
I also agree with Churchkey, however with the vehicle on jackstands I used a 2X8 (about the width of the car) placed directly under the spring. Then, I placed 2 20 TON bottle jacks on top of the board and raised the spring at each end slightly. With pressure relieved I removed the spring bolt nut. Then lowered springs slowly. As the springs dearched the bottle jacks will slide, but this must be done slowly and carefully. I removed my springs to install the Vansteel coilover kit.

The bottle jacks allowed me to do this project with the car raised high enough that the springs can be removed from the car. I used my harbor freight 20 TON press bottle jack and an air/hydraulic one I also purchased from Harbor Freight.

Good luck with your project!
I'm sure the 20 ton jacks worked well. Lighter, smaller, less expensive 1 ton bottle jacks or a small floor jack with a wood block will work also and be easier to handle and be less expensive. I think the 20 ton jacks are used for lifting houses.

Get notified of new replies

To where to get a transverse leaf spring compressor (for rear spring on 93 vert)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: where to get a transverse leaf spring compressor (for rear spring on 93 vert)