Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Valve Springs Preventive Replacement?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Valve Springs Preventive Replacement?

So every few weeks I read about a C5Z that breaks a valve spring. I know a few guys are replacing theirs as preventive maintenance. I am curious how common these fail, and is this something that really needs to be replaced in advance on a stock car? How commonly do these fail?

What are people's stance on this?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:42 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock
So every few weeks I read about a C5Z that breaks a valve spring. I know a few guys are replacing theirs as preventive maintenance. I am curious how common these fail, and is this something that really needs to be replaced in advance on a stock car? How commonly do these fail?

What are people's stance on this?
its a gamble really...most do it for that peace of mind ..i will am gonna do mine this winter
Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by momo20
its a gamble really...most do it for that peace of mind ..i will am gonna do mine this winter
What is the failure rate on them? Is it a 1 in 50 car thing or what? And what would it cost to have a shop replace them, including the new springs?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It's an easy job to change out the springs and doesn't cost that much either. Might as well have the peace of mind.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

What are we talking about? $1,500 to do it?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Springs can be had for $200. Add new gaskets for the valve covers, use of a tool to compress the springs and an afternoon. Maybe $300 or so depending on the springs...Shops charge $100-120 or so an hour, figure 3-4 hours book would be my guess.

If I had gotten an earlier car I would have changed them, but '04's are safe from what I know...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:42 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

This is a good replacement spring for the stock cam: http://www.texas-speed.com/p-439-pac...ve-spring.aspx
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee
This is a good replacement spring for the stock cam: http://www.texas-speed.com/p-439-pac...ve-spring.aspx
PAC springs have a great reputation.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 AM
About2Bite
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul 75 L82
It's an easy job to change out the springs and doesn't cost that much either. Might as well have the peace of mind.

If you do it yourself, buy THAT spring compressor
Old 10-07-2011, 03:02 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I have swapped springs several times and it really is not that bad a job. I have a spring compressing tool, that acts as a rocker arm and I compress it, have a buddy use my magnet, grab the retainers and swap it out. I have it down to a science now and can do a how set, and have it all buttoned up in about 2.5 hours and running. As long as the hose I use doesn't give me troubles when I am ensuring air is being put into the cylinder to hold up the valves. I run COMP 918s on my stock setup, no issues. COMP had a short stretch of quality issues/concerns, but they since got that fixed. Honestly, for the price and the time it takes to do it, I would just do it and continue driving without having to worry to much about the concerns you are having.

- Micah
Old 10-07-2011, 05:58 AM
phinfan
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

In my research of these cars, it happened often enough to make me decide if i bought one in the affected years, i would have it done, unless the current owner had a receipt showing it had already been done.

The car i ended up buying was a 01 though, and they did not have that problem, due (i think) to a cam with less lift.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:37 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Getting ready to do mine and for more "peace of mind", am going to do this also:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...2-and-ls3.html
Old 10-07-2011, 03:16 PM
BlueTeamZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by mph1972
I have swapped springs several times and it really is not that bad a job. I have a spring compressing tool, that acts as a rocker arm and I compress it, have a buddy use my magnet, grab the retainers and swap it out. I have it down to a science now and can do a how set, and have it all buttoned up in about 2.5 hours and running. As long as the hose I use doesn't give me troubles when I am ensuring air is being put into the cylinder to hold up the valves. I run COMP 918s on my stock setup, no issues. COMP had a short stretch of quality issues/concerns, but they since got that fixed. Honestly, for the price and the time it takes to do it, I would just do it and continue driving without having to worry to much about the concerns you are having.

- Micah
Agreed. I did it myself when I did the headers and the headers were four times harder. The springs were not a big deal. If I had it to do over again, I would buy the dual compressor pictured above to make it quicker.

If you get a wicked strong rare-earth magnet like the ones you take out of computer hard drives, you can stick it on the valve stem and it will catch the retainers every time.

If anybody has had it done at a shop, it would be interesting to hear what they charged.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:07 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Getting ready to do mine and for more "peace of mind", am going to do this also:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...2-and-ls3.html
I'm just finishing mine up on my '02 Z06 this weekend. Did PAC 1518 springs, new valve guide seals (OEM), Comp Cams Trunnion Kit and better pushrods. Should be no worries now.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

I just asked this question of Rich ( richierichz06 on the forums ) who works at Able Chevrolet which is a shop that specializes in Corvettes. I drive 200 miles to get my car serviced by them. He is also a prior owner of a C5 Z06 and current owner of a C6 Z06. He said that in all of his years of working at Able and at another Chevrolet dealer, he has seen a single valve spring failure ever. He said he works on countless race cars, etc...and only one failed ever. He said he didn't want to tell me not to swap them out just in case they did fail, but his attitude is that the failure rate is maybe 1 on 2,500 cars.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:07 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They don't even make the LS6 motor any more.
If that motor blows over something as simple as a v/spring replacement,
your going to kick yourself.
Get your A-- down to a shop, if you can't do this simple job & have your springs replaced.
From one 03 Z owner to another.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Woodytick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys i can tell you from my own expeience. if you are stil running the stock springs, dont take the chance. change them as soon as you can. 2 months ago i had a spring failure & it reaked havoc on my engine. it put the intake valve from #5 down through my piston & destroyed the head. i spent close to $2800 rebuilding my engine but that was with a few upgrades as well. like & cam & LS7 clutch package.

dont take the chance guys, replace them & be done with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Springs Preventive Replacement?

Old 10-08-2011, 02:38 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Grimlock
I just asked this question of Rich ( richierichz06 on the forums ) who works at Able Chevrolet which is a shop that specializes in Corvettes. I drive 200 miles to get my car serviced by them. He is also a prior owner of a C5 Z06 and current owner of a C6 Z06. He said that in all of his years of working at Able and at another Chevrolet dealer, he has seen a single valve spring failure ever. He said he works on countless race cars, etc...and only one failed ever. He said he didn't want to tell me not to swap them out just in case they did fail, but his attitude is that the failure rate is maybe 1 on 2,500 cars.
It happens quite often it seems as seen on various chat boards. Not sure why shops claim they never see any cases of broken springs. Here's another one that just showed up. Read the first 3 sentences. Also, there have been dozens of reported OEM spring failures on the board alone. Don't play Russian Roulette ... could be costly in the long run.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...-question.html
Old 10-08-2011, 09:09 AM
98DC231
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
It happens quite often it seems as seen on various chat boards. Not sure why shops claim they never see any cases of broken springs. Here's another one that just showed up. Read the first 3 sentences. Also, there have been dozens of reported OEM spring failures on the board alone. Don't play Russian Roulette ... could be costly in the long run.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...-question.html
While its probably a good idea to get them done as a preventative measure, its easy to see why the problem is so "rampant".

Thing is, with the internet, people typically are only going to go and make a thread if they have an issue, so of course when you search it, the problem seems like an epidemic. Combine this with people who know little about cars and you start getting "automotive hypochondriacs" who think their car suffers from absolutely all "known issues" for a given car.

Nobody makes threads saying "valve springs all good here, no issues" to offset the people who experience an issue.

That said, I'm still doing it to my 02.

Last edited by 98DC231; 10-08-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:24 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 98DC231
While its probably a good idea to get them done as a preventative measure, its easy to see why the problem is so "rampant".

Thing is, with the internet, people typically are only going to go and make a thread if they have an issue, so of course when you search it, the problem seems like an epidemic. Combine this with people who know little about cars and you start getting "automotive hypochondriacs" who think their car suffers from absolutely all "known issues" for a given car.

Nobody makes threads saying "valve springs all good here, no issues" to offset the people who experience an issue.

That said, I'm still doing it to my 02.
Rampant or not ... it's obvious that it can happen by the dozens of reports over the last few years seen on just this board alone. There are probably also cases that have never been mentioned on a chat board because some people just don't hang out on them. It's still puzzling that many dealerships don't mention that they have seen cars come in with broken valve springs. Maybe GM has paid them "hush money". Plus, there are a lot of guys who work on their own car, so maybe they just fixed it themselves ... that's what I would do.

I wasn't going to wait around and take chances to see if I was lucky or not with an issue like this. If it was a failure that wouldn't result in a destroyed motor than I'd probably take my chances. But in this case, the resulting consequences outweigh the risk of doing nothing by a mile.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 10-08-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve Springs Preventive Replacement?