C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Carbon Fiber Hood...all CF or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z06 Carbon Fiber Hood...all CF or Not?

My Z is an early build 2012 and the CF hood option on my window sticker read “Hood – Carbon Fiber $2495”.

Now, the window stickers I’m seeing online read “Exposed Carbon Fiber Weave Hood Insert - $2495”.

Sooooo…the question begs, are the Carbon Fiber hoods really all Carbon Fiber OR is it just an exposed Carbon Fiber underside panel mated to a Fiberglass outer hood panel?

I find it interesting that GM changed the Window Sticker “Wording” for the Carbon Fiber Hood option.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Hmmm…this doesn’t strike anyone else as curious?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:54 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

On the C5 carbon hood, just the outside panel was carbon. Im guessing they did it the same way on the C6.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:57 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I believe the outer shell is carbon fiber and the inner frame is SMC with a carbon fiber strip where it is adheisive bonded to the outer shell.

EDIT: I was thinking about the C5 Z06 CF hood. The C6 CF hood is all CF.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-22-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:00 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

My thought FWIW involves the change in wording. GM seems to have corrected the description of the hoods constuction to be the hoods' rise as being CF only and not the hood as a whole as originally worded.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

The underside of the hood is clearly an exposed carbon fiber panel bonded to the outer shell. The outer shell is painted, so visually there’s no way to tell if it’s CF or not.

From GM’s new description, I’m wondering if the outer shell is CF or just composite…and is the ZR1 hood constructed the same way?

Underside of Z06 CF hood:

Old 12-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Bump…still wondering if anyone knows how much of GM's “Carbon Fiber” hood is real carbon fiber…only the exposed inside panel can be identified visually and now it appears that’s all GM is identifying as CF.

So, did someone call BS on GM’s CF hood and now they’re being more specific that only the exposed underside is CF?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:15 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

It was my understanding that the ZR1 hood is all carbon.

The Carbon Edition Z06 was all carbon as well just without the window.

2012 they added the option to buy the Carbon Edition hood.

Given how the hood is made, it would be hard to have exposed weave top and bottom and have that kind of finish, as I think it is a one piece mold so one side by default has to have a rougher finish.

I did not know they had an option for any exposed weave unless they they are painting the inside of the 2012 optional hoods. The 2011 Carbon here is completely exposed just like the ZR1 on the bottom side.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports

Given how the hood is made, it would be hard to have exposed weave top and bottom and have that kind of finish, as I think it is a one piece mold so one side by default has to have a rougher finish.

I did not know they had an option for any exposed weave unless they they are painting the inside of the 2012 optional hoods. The 2011 Carbon here is completely exposed just like the ZR1 on the bottom side.
Hey Anthony,

The 2012 Z06 CF hood looks the same as the ZR1 hood w/o the window. The above pic is the underside of the 2012 Centennial Edition Z06 w/the carbon fiber hood option. The top and underside of the hood are clearly separate panels bonded together w/top panel being painted body color and underside being exposed CF.

It’s just curious that GM changed how they describe the hood option from “Hood - Carbon Fiber” to “Exposed Carbon Fiber Weave Hood Insert”.

Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but the new description makes it sound like only the Exposed Carbon Fiber underside panel is CF. If the description read: “Hood – Carbon Fiber w/Exposed Carbon Fiber Weave insert”, then there would be no question.

Maybe GM is just trying to clarify that the underside of the CF hood is exposed CF, but the new window sticker description is now ambiguous.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:21 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I think this article should answer the question on the ZR1's hood construction. My understanding that the Z06 CF hood is the same, just without the peek-a-boo window.

http://www.compositesworld.com/artic...-shock-and-awe
Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Corvette6.0
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports

I have a 2011 Carbon Fiber Edition and it looks like the carbon fiber is just an insert on the inside of the hood. How do you know the hood itself is carbon fiber? If it is thats awesome because I did not know that. I know the quarter panels are carbon fiber like the ZR1. The roof panel is also CF like the ZR1 but painted the body color. The side skirts and front splitter is also carbon fiber but painted black instead of exposed like the ZR1.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Carbon Fiber Hood...all CF or Not?

Quick Reply: Z06 Carbon Fiber Hood...all CF or Not?