Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] magnetic ride control...yea or nay!

Old 12-19-2011, 11:12 AM
jlamb01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnetic ride control...yea or nay!

Hey guys, I'm fixint to order a cyber grey 2lz zo6, and I cannot decide if I should get the mrc or not. Has anyone driven one with it and without it? Is the road noise louder with the bigger sticker tires? Does the car seem a little less powerful with the bigger and sticker tires or not. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Oh and also, is there a noticable difference in the smoothness of the ride with the MRC than without it? Thanks again guys

Just for info, I just sold my 08 2lz and I live in corpus christi texas. Thanks again.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 PM
HighPro
Racer

Had a C6 base vette with mag ride. Now, I have a Z06 without mag ride. I never appreciated the difference. IMO, it is an over-priced toy.

E
Old 12-19-2011, 01:51 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the F55 Magnetic Selective option in my 2005 C6. I would say that it is a nice to have, but not a necessity. If you are trying to save a few bucks, this is a good starting place.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to mention repair costs - those shocks are literally into the "thousands" to replace, based on part costs alone.

Given your choice of Z06 versus the GS or coupe variants, I'd imagine you more concerned with "go" than a luxurious, soft ride... so I'd skip the F55 and put the money elsewhere.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:56 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,497 Likes on 2,592 Posts

The car mags found the SRC magnetohydrolic shocks got rid of the twitchy rear end. You can also "tune" the ride, but replacement cost is $$$. A set of Bilstein Sports ($300) or the DRM Bilsteins ($450) will get rid of the twitchy rear end. A better set of tires than the Goodyear RFT's will improve the ride and have other benefits. (Note many of the cars with the SRC come with M PS2's rather than the Goodyears.

I pondered GS with SRC or lightly used Z06, got the Z06, put in Bilsteins and am very happy. (Have Nitto NT-05's, will be getting M PilotSuperSport for the street and using the NT-05's for HPDE's only.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you've got a choice between ordering with or without Mag Ride, we would probably suggest going without. There definitely is a difference in overall attitude of the vehicle with Mag Ride, but if you ever want to swap out to an aftermarket shock package disabling the F55 package makes that change a little more of a headache.

The twitchy rear end that's normally associated with the C6Z is because of the large amounts of high speed rebound built into the shocks. Our Johnny O'Connell shock package will help eliminate the twitchy rear end and help keep you in control, especially in rough road conditions.

There are some great replacement shock options out there for the C6Z, with the magnetic ride control your complicating the installation of those options when it does come time to replace shocks.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:00 PM
El Paso Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Pass. It is not worth it.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:34 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I think it depends on your usage......If you are buying your C6 Z06 JUST for the track, then I would NOT buy the Mag Ride option, but would insted elect for aftermarket dedicated track suspension (much lighter/cheaper/focused) On the other hand, for a street car that occasionally sees some track usage, I think it would be worthwhile.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 12-19-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

It seems to me that for an out of the box solution that the system offers several advantages. Looking at the '12 Z06's with PTM you get an all inclusive system that controls not only shock stiffness but integrates traction control settings with it. This is a highly advanced system which seems to be well worth the money. If you looks at the ZR1's they seem to be doing quite well on the track with this system also. Also do not forget that Lou ran them on his ZR1 when he won the Spectre hill climb not once but twice and I'm quite sure that with their resources if they felt there were improvements to be had by installing coil overs, they probably would have installed them.

Can a high quality coil over set up possibly perform better than the magnetic suspension set up? I would say yes. If the owner ran on one track and took the time and had the know how to fine tune the suspension set up for the specific track & conditions that he is running on. Change tracks or conditions though and it's back to the drawing board with the coil overs. While with the magnetic ride the computer is analyzing things and adjusting stuff in real time. So while the "expert" might be able to tweak out an extra 10% or so out of a coil over set up on a track that he always runs on, those that are less knowledgeable will probably be better served with a suspension that tunes it self.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:41 PM
CENT Z06
Melting Slicks

The noise level is about the same with the bigger stickier tires. I do mostly vette runs and mine's a DD, so the MR is a must. You should drive one with the MR. In my opinion the ride is smoother than the stock set up.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:00 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CENT Z06
The noise level is about the same with the bigger stickier tires. I do mostly vette runs and mine's a DD, so the MR is a must. You should drive one with the MR. In my opinion the ride is smoother than the stock set up.

Much more forgiving on the street and no tramlining on chitty pavement.

Index suspension **** to firm the ride up slightly. tour/sport
Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Pass on it. It's an expensive option that will devalue the vehicle more once warranty runs out. Nobody wants to replace thousand dollar shocks.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by jlamb01
Hey guys, I'm fixint to order a cyber grey 2lz zo6, and I cannot decide if I should get the mrc or not. Has anyone driven one with it and without it? Is the road noise louder with the bigger sticker tires? Does the car seem a little less powerful with the bigger and sticker tires or not. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Oh and also, is there a noticable difference in the smoothness of the ride with the MRC than without it? Thanks again guys

Just for info, I just sold my 08 2lz and I live in corpus christi texas. Thanks again.
Have not driven a Z06 with this feature. In my opinion I think down the road especially if you keep the car for a long time and its out of warranty it will end up being a pain in the A$$. More to go wrong.

I had the selective ride control on my C4Zr1. I had a couple of problems due to corrosion on the connectors I was able to correct myself with help from the zr1registry and Teamzr1. I really could not tell much difference in the 3 settings that car offered. My my C4 Zr1 did ride a little smoother than my base l98 c4. I think you will hear this similiar comment from c6Zr1 owners that its smoother than the base C6Z06.

I think the feature is an invention right up there in break throughs like the electric fork.

With 20 years of advancement in this technology I am sure its much better, but its not a matter of if it will cause problems its a matter of when.

If you are keeping the car 3 years or less and money is of no concern, spring for the electric fork.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 12-20-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:43 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
Pass on it. It's an expensive option that will devalue the vehicle more once warranty runs out. Nobody wants to replace thousand dollar shocks.
I agree. While there is no historical evidence to back this up I have had a dealer say this option adds absolutely nothing to the trade in value.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I have no complaints on my Z06 witout the F-55 suspension. I've driven it 890 miles in 14 hours(stopping just for gas, food and potty break) without feeling it was beating me to death, and I'm 69 years old.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:05 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I would only buy a new Z06 with F55. You also get 19/20" tires - it effectively has the same suspension as a ZR1. I have driven a ZR1 and it is much more refined than a Z06. For street use it would be worth the money. As far as resale value, if I buy and $80,000 car I'm getting it the way I want it - not how the next guy wants it. The worst that happens is you lose a couple thousand dollars on them.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I would only buy a new Z06 with F55. You also get 19/20" tires - it effectively has the same suspension as a ZR1. I have driven a ZR1 and it is much more refined than a Z06. For street use it would be worth the money. As far as resale value, if I buy and $80,000 car I'm getting it the way I want it - not how the next guy wants it. The worst that happens is you lose a couple thousand dollars on them.
It should also be noted that the Z06 with the F-55 suspension only comes with the (RUV) Black cup style 19/20 wheels and the Michelin PS2 tires. I don't believe the F-55 purchaser has any other choice in wheels.

Get notified of new replies

To magnetic ride control...yea or nay!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoesC5
It should also be noted that the Z06 with the F-55 suspension only comes with the (RUV) Black cup style 19/20 wheels and the Michelin PS2 tires. I don't believe the F-55 purchaser has any other choice in wheels.
You can get the machine finish cup wheels as an option. Trust me, I've already looked into it before deciding I don't need to be buying a new car
Old 12-20-2011, 07:54 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

I think the feature is an invention right up there in break throughs like the electric fork.
...this is funny...^^^

With 20 years of advancement in this technology I am sure its much better, but its not a matter of if it will cause problems its a matter of when.

But... (next response)

If you are keeping the car 3 years or less and money is of no concern, spring for the electric fork.
Also if you're keeping it for 10-12 years and 100,000 miles who cares if it fails because the car is essentially worthless ($15K-$20K maybe) at that point with 100,000 miles of enjoyment under your belt. Just patch it up and trade it for a C8 by then.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:55 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
...Also if you're keeping it for 10-12 years and 100,000 miles who cares if it fails because the car is essentially worthless ($20K-$25K maybe) at that point with 100,000 miles of enjoyment under your belt. Just patch it up and trade it for a C8 by then.
And you have spent about $10,000 in tires....but who's counting?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] magnetic ride control...yea or nay!