C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 Hardtop new weatherstrip between rear glass and deck...spliced???

Old 11-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Default '61 Hardtop new weatherstrip between rear glass and deck...spliced???

Just got a new weather strip/rear glass seal from Corvette Central.

It looks like a early model weather strip was cut and the center section for the body line glued in.

Are they all like this anymore???

It looks terrible. Where can a weather strip manufactured specifically for a '61/'62 be acquired, if anyone has bought one...???

Thanks...Stan
Attached Images  

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 11-30-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 570 Likes on 306 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Someone may correct me, but I think they came that way originally.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Redbird
No Kidding????

My top is in storage...and has a new rubber on it ...but was restored some years ago and never mounted. (distorted now). I think I would have noticed a splice...but maybe not! I'll have to get to out my storage room and see next a.m.

Anyone else agree ...I'm shocked if that is the case?

Stan....

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 11-30-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
No Kidding????

My top is in storage...and has a new rubber on it ...but was restored some years ago and never mounted. (distorted now). I think I would have noticed a splice...but maybe not! I'll have to get to out my storage room and see next a.m.

Anyone else agree ...I'm shocked if that is the case?

Stan....
Stan it's only been recently that a 61/62 main weatherstrip was available. Years ago all you could get was the 58-60 and you were to either splice in your original formed part, or just use the WS as is and let it form to the body split on the decklid. It's possible (even likely) that the WS on your restored top is a 58-60 WS without any splice.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Something else comes to mind...

If they can glue this weather strip together...then maybe it isn't really necessary to totally disassemble the hardtop (as advocated) to replace the rear weatherstrip.

Just cut off the bottom part.. if that's all that is distorted/damaged...find out what kind of glue they use, and splice on a new bottom section...reinstall trim. End of issue....for a couple of hundred instead of $1500.

Yes /No ??
Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Stan it's only been recently that a 61/62 main weatherstrip was available. Years ago all you could get was the 58-60 and you were to either splice in your original formed part, or just use the WS as is and let it form to the body split on the decklid. It's possible (even likely) that the WS on your restored top is a 58-60 WS without any splice.

Thanks for the input Jeff..

I'm sure that my top has a molded rubber made for the body split...may have a splice too, but I don't think so ( I'll find out sure on that tomorrow)

It all looks like new...because it's been restored and never mounted. I bought it from Corvettes of Dallas after a customer bought a restored '61 ...but didn't want the top, even though he paid for it. I wound up with it 3 years later. That was 3/4 years ago...still hasn't been mounted ...but the rubber doesn't fit the deck (distorted).

So...

QUOTE=62Jeff;1579353776]Stan it's only been recently that a 61/62 main weatherstrip was available.

Do you know of a supplier that sells them now?

Stan...

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 11-30-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Stan it's only been recently that a 61/62 main weatherstrip was available. Years ago all you could get was the 58-60 and you were to either splice in your original formed part, or just use the WS as is and let it form to the body split on the deck lid. It's possible (even likely) that the WS on your restored top is a 58-60 WS without any splice.
It seems that I recall something about that stinger problem and cutting/splicing was the answer....I don't think its a problem viewing your set as it will probably never come up as a issue being hidden by the stainless...however there is a company in Mich making a so called correct section but it may be the same company the Vette parts stores already use....

Last edited by Ironcross; 11-30-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:06 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Stan...
Stan I'm sorry I may have misled you, but the WS you bought is what I was referring to.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Stan I'm sorry I may have misled you, but the WS you bought is what I was referring to.

No problem Jeff, I just misunderstood....no apology needed, my mistake.. I appreciate your input..always.

Stan..
Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Stan...
I think Corvette Rubber is making the 61-62 hardtop rear bow weatherstrip, for Corvette Central.

It's my understanding that Central has exclusive rights to it. Corvette Rubber told me that they can't sell it direct. Any vendor who is selling the rear bow weatherstrip, is getting them from Central.

The rear bow weatherstrip has only been available for roughly 2 years, and at this point, I think the one from Central is the only one on the market.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I did my top on 09 and used the parts from CC.It does have a splice but the color of the rubber seems to match better.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

My rear weatherstrip.....I'm 98% sure this is original '61 rubber (the whole top in fact) as the top was stored in an attic for decades. No seams...the distorition is also why you shouldn't use those cheapie hoists with the strap at the rear...even with foam pipe insulation across this piece the hoist strap distorts the rubber permanently. You can buy the expensive $700 Glassworks hoist or use a modified cart from one of the vendors (which is what I will do henceforth).

If its just a few points in judging and that is the only repro rubber available Stan I think you're just going to have to use it. The problem with 'piecing' a bottom strip of rubber for the rear hardtop weatherstrip is that you still have to disassemble a bunch of the top and even then might have bad results. Glassworks quoted me $1,000 to replace the rubber a few months back including the part cost -- this is due to the major disassembly required.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-01-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
My rear weatherstrip.....I'm 98% sure this is original '61 rubber (the whole top in fact) as the top was stored in an attic for decades. No seams...the distorition is also why you shouldn't use those cheapie hoists with the strap at the rear...even with foam pipe insulation across this piece the hoist strap distorts the rubber permanently. You can buy the expensive $700 Glassworks hoist or use a modified cart from one of the vendors (which is what I will do henceforth).

If its just a few points in judging and that is the only repro rubber available Stan I think you're just going to have to use it. The problem with 'piecing' a bottom strip of rubber for the rear hardtop weatherstrip is that you still have to disassemble a bunch of the top and even then might have bad results. Glassworks quoted me $1,000 to replace the rubber a few months back including the part cost -- this is due to the major disassembly required.
Thanks Frankie..

Yep I may have to use it it looks like. Glassworks quoted me $1500 w/shipping though....for the same reason. (major disassembly)

Mine doesn't need the upper portions replaced...it looks great. ( so does the bottom...just doesn't fit) If so then splicing the bottom strip on is no issue it seems to me. Just another splice....which would be nearly invisible.

$1500 to avoid another splice on each end under the trim...something isn't right there! A splice of any kind is Jicky to me...but it is what it is. I'm sure not paying big bucks just to have 2 splices instead of 4.

The bottom trim looks pretty straight forward to me...shouldn't be too difficult...with patience.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 12-01-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The hardtop rear window removal procedure is explained on page 1-41 of the ST-12 manual (you have one of those right?) and you can decide for yourself if its something you want to tackle...

Just reading it made my eyes bleed...
Old 12-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The hardtop rear window removal procedure is explained on page 1-41 of the ST-12 manual (you have one of those right?) and you can decide for yourself if its something you want to tackle...

Just reading it made my eyes bleed...
I used to have one (ST-12)that came with the car....I didn't figure that I would need it, so I threw it away...

Only kidding...but after getting Mike to mount the front end...everything else seems like a piece of cake.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

If Mike ever retires from restoring C1s and C2s all other restorers automatically move up one notch.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

If Mike ever retires from restoring C1s and C2s all other restorers automatically move up one notch.
I agree...I really sleep well at night after he got my project lined out.

He has an uncanny knack for the process...and works like a bat out of haydees. Man on a mission... He does more in 10 days than most shops get done in 10 months...No Exaggeration!!

I've got a lot of pics of that trip to Mikes I plan on posting soon. I'm just about caught up with winterizing and catching up on things that piled up while I was gone.....finally!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:52 AM
CorvetteCentral.com
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbird
This statement is correct.

Get notified of new replies

To '61 Hardtop new weatherstrip between rear glass and deck...spliced???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '61 Hardtop new weatherstrip between rear glass and deck...spliced???