C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 Vette Windshield Nightmares!

Old 11-13-2011, 10:12 PM
LonR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '61 Vette Windshield Nightmares!

Trying to install a new windshield in a '61 Vette, all new stainless, all new glass, chrome up rites and rubber seal. I have a 31 page manual printed off the internet and it still took me and the owner 5 hours, 10 man hours to get it bolted together. Wish that was the happy ending but it's not. The corners rubber didn't look rite so we got ahold of a guy in Seattle area that will remain anonymous for now to redo the hole thing. He said he could do it in his sleep, a days work. A month later we get it back, corners look great but that's about it. You can literally move the glass around in the frame work, the rubber can be pushed in and out easily. I can tell he used no sealer of any kind any where. I think I even heard him say he "grinds the rubber seal" so it will go together easily. He was paid $350 to install the glass, plus left with lots of '61 used Vette parts as payment.
Is there anybody in the Seattle area that can do this job the way it is supposed to be done? Thanks.......................
Old 11-14-2011, 07:25 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

it has been my experience that the most difficult part is getting the seal properly centered so that the bottom side corners are even on each side. the next pia is getting the bottom stainless centered so that the frame ends are even... after all that it's pretty easy....

i have never used any sealer on the inside of the seal, but i have noticed a tendency for water to run under the glass at the bottom end corners (the same corners that are so hard to get centered right), so a bit of black rtv wouldn't hurt (although it can be added later by peeling back the seal from the glass and working a bit between the seal and the glass. and, it wouldn't hurt to use some dum dum or rope caulk between the bottom of the windshield frame and the frame seal and the frame seal to the body windshield channel to keep water from running between them.

and, yes, there is a lot of empty space inside the frame between the frame and the seal; the seal can be pushed in easily, so just don't do it...
Bill
Old 11-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by LonR
You can literally move the glass around in the frame work, the rubber can be pushed in and out easily. I can tell he used no sealer of any kind any where. I think I even heard him say he "grinds the rubber seal" so it will go together easily.
Thanks.......................
That's not right!! There is no need to grind the seal and probably why the glass is moving around. Get a new Corvette Rubber seal and start over. Sorry I don't know any shops in your area.

I did mine myself many years ago using an NOS GM gasket I had, followed the ST-12 on the install, took my time and all went well. The key as I remember the job was to mark the frame carefully before disassembly (I used a grease pencil) and put it back exactly as it came apart so everything will line up and fit properly. Without any reliable reference marks, the job requires lots of measuring and would take longer, but is still doable if you take your time. You may want to have another go at it yourself if you can't find someone who KNOWS what they are doing. Pilot Dan
Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 AM
waltonb123
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced my rubber gasket when I pulled the windshield off to replace my dash pad. I took lots of measurements and used the gel for pulling electrical wires to slip on the gasket. That stuff works great, and don't be afraid to use a rubber mallet when installing the sides. The only think I don't like is the gasket has some waves on the inside at the bottom that won't come out.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Here is an article on the topic: http://www.sssacc.org/Tips/Windshiel...eplacement.pdf
Old 11-14-2011, 02:57 PM
1959RedConv
Instructor

Good document on replacing a C1 windshield. I'm filing this one away as I will need to do this in the future. Not looking forward to it.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:29 PM
waltonb123
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Wow Frankie...I wish I had this a month ago! Great detail in photos.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:09 AM
LonR
Instructor

We have given the original glass guy a chance to make it rite, he is blaming the windshield ( owner provided) itself for being a cheap version that is to small in dimensions. Maybe, maybe not. Anybody have a quality windshield sitting out of the frame that could provide some measurements to compare? Thanks!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I had issues with my windshield in 09 when trying to install new weather seal and ended up cracking it. I replaced it with a Pilkington and the installation came out fine.

Get notified of new replies

To '61 Vette Windshield Nightmares!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '61 Vette Windshield Nightmares!