C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine light

Old 11-12-2011, 11:46 PM
JL1981
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light

I drove my brand new 11 6spd manual GS about 60 miles to a family function this afternoon. It was running great with no issues whatsoever. The car sat for around 4 hours while I was at the party. When I started it to leave I noticed my check engine light was on. It remained on the entire trip home. I tried loosening and retightening the gas cap, but the light remained on. My GS has a little over 300 miles, so I find this to be a bit troubling. Has anyone experienced such a problem with their GS? If so, what was the issue?
Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

As long as it's not flashing,you're ok.Could beeSome emission thing being detected,or to much air in or out...Bring it to your local AUTO ZONE or auto parts staore and have them hook up a code reader.They do this free at most places.In the mean time,check your air bridge connections to the maf and all that for leaks.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:07 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You said 'brand new'. Take it back to the dealer.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:59 AM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 791 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by bolivar

Old 11-13-2011, 09:12 AM
bbudman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's times like this when it is nice to have a scan tool. I bought a really nice one a couple of years ago when we owned our 2003 Tahoe. Nothing like knowing the problem in the event you have to visit a dealer for a repair you don't feel like doing yourself! Considering the car has such low miles I would agree it should go back to the dealer but it could be something silly that you could reset youself and never have a problem again.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by 08crm
As long as it's not flashing,you're ok..
can you elaborate on this?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:48 AM
gfunkusarelius
Instructor

ours came on at around 12k and it ended up just being a loose gas cap (ours seems a little weak, we always click it at least 3 times when tightening and we don't drive it a ton, so I will remove it and retighten every week or so between fillings).

We took it to the dealer and they cleared it and it hasn't been back on, but they (and others on here) told us that you should be able to drive it three cycles of more than 10 minutes (someone else chime in if this is wrong, I don't remember exact details) and the codes should auto clear and the light should go off if that is the issue.

And remember, these check engine lights are not something to panic about as long as the car is running good and all the other gauges look right. If it stays on after a few runs, swing by the dealer. Or go right away if it is close by like ours is.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:49 AM
gfunkusarelius
Instructor

Originally Posted by bbudman
It's times like this when it is nice to have a scan tool. I bought a really nice one a couple of years ago when we owned our 2003 Tahoe. Nothing like knowing the problem in the event you have to visit a dealer for a repair you don't feel like doing yourself! Considering the car has such low miles I would agree it should go back to the dealer but it could be something silly that you could reset youself and never have a problem again.
I agree, I have one that hooks up to the laptop, they are cheap as hell now and give you good info.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:50 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
can you elaborate on this?
Typically this is to alert you that whatever condition is present has the potential to damage your cat converters. This is designed to help protect the very expensive parts of the system & prevent excess emissions out the tail pipes. Too much raw fuel in the converter could possibly cause it to overheat & cook the catalyst.

The manual gives this explanation:

Light Flashing: A misfire condition
has been detected. A misfire
increases vehicle emissions and
could damage the emission control
system on the vehicle. Diagnosis
and service might be required

Last edited by jft69z; 11-13-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:52 AM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 282 Likes on 166 Posts

If after recycling the engine 10-12 times and it doesn't turn off, maybe time to take it to the dealer. If it's due to the gas cap not sealing, it sometimes takes this many cycles to turn off.

I had this trouble with my '05 and finally just replaced the gas cap with an aftermarket gas cap from STANT (#10836) I was surprised how much better it sealed. No problems since
Old 11-13-2011, 10:25 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by bolivar

Can onstar diagnose this?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by jft69z
Typically this is to alert you that whatever condition is present has the potential to damage your cat converters. This is designed to help protect the very expensive parts of the system & prevent excess emissions out the tail pipes. Too much raw fuel in the converter could possibly cause it to overheat & cook the catalyst.

The manual gives this explanation:

Light Flashing: A misfire condition
has been detected. A misfire
increases vehicle emissions and
could damage the emission control
system on the vehicle. Diagnosis
and service might be required
good to know
Old 11-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Topsarge12R
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Can onstar diagnose this?
Yes Onstar can give the code if you ask. I think I had the same thing as you. They gave me a code P0171. Basically threw a code just after fill up after it sat around awhile. No problem, It went away.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:00 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by JL1981
I tried loosening and retightening the gas cap, but the light remained on.
You're working under a wrong assumption

It typically takes several (about half a dozen) ignition cycles for the CEL to turn off once it's been turned on. And only then if the condition that caused it cleared and doesn't appear again.

In other words, if it were a lose filler cap and you did seal it properly, the CEL wouldn't immediately extinguish
Old 11-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

If you are curious you can have On Star check the code for you or run off to an Auto Parts store but the best thing to do is to take a trip to the dealer and let them address the issue. There are around hundred codes that can cause that light to come on. It may be a simple issue but it also gets it listed in the GM database which might be important later on.

Bill
Old 11-13-2011, 01:29 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

A lot of codes also have a 2 trip protocol. If the ECM detects a condition, it will see if it happens on the second ignition cycle before it sets the CEL.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:17 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
You're working under a wrong assumption

It typically takes several (about half a dozen) ignition cycles for the CEL to turn off once it's been turned on. And only then if the condition that caused it cleared and doesn't appear again.

In other words, if it were a lose filler cap and you did seal it properly, the CEL wouldn't immediately extinguish

Get notified of new replies

To Check Engine light

Old 11-13-2011, 03:01 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

You can clear the codes by removing the negative battery cable for 10 minutes. After you reconnect, you will have to reinitialize the window indexing. If the CEL comes back on, then you have a current problem and skip AutoZone, etc and take it to the dealer. Included in the cost of the car was for them to fix the broken parts.

No one likes taking their car to the dealer, thus I suggested you disconnect the battery first. If the CEL was senior moment in the computer, then the CEL will not come back on. No different then rebooting your home computer by unplugging it and the plugging it back in after a minute or so.

If there is a problem, then the CEL will come back on and there will be a code set that the dealer's tech can read to diagnose the problem.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:13 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ladder13
Old 11-13-2011, 04:25 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

I would still want to know what the codes are before simply wiping them out. OnStar should be able to give you the code. If not, dealer/Autobone. If there is an emerging problem with the vehicle, it will be in your favor to have the code stored in memory for the dealer to see. Just wiping it out, or saying Autozone says it was P0XXX will hold little value to them. I don't take Autobones word for it when a customer brings a vehicle to me for a CEL. I want to troubleshoot it for myself. Depending on the code, if their vehicle is in warranty I won't clear it sometimes, this way the dealer can also see the history.

Last edited by jft69z; 11-13-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine light