C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove driver's seat

Old 11-10-2011, 01:18 PM
KibunInc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to remove driver's seat

I used the search function but could not find how to do this. Sorry if its been posted a 1000 times.

My driver's seat in my C6 vette started to move the other day all by itself. It went all the way back as far as it could. Then I heard the motor clicking in the seat. The next morning my battery was dead. I took care of the battery and pulled the fuse to my driver's seat. Now I can not move the seat. I also can not get to the bolts in the rear of the seat to remove the seat to repair it. I heard you can remove the bottom cushion and access the motor that way. Does anyone have any ideas???

Thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 10:43 PM
KibunInc
Instructor

Thanks for the PM response on this but I should have been more clear on the problem. The seat is in the far back position and I can not reach the rear bolts. I can not get a socket or a wrench back there. Is there a way I force the seat forward or remove the cushions to access the motors.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Not trying to be a smart ***, but did you put the fuse back in and try to move the seat electrically?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:33 AM
KibunInc
Instructor

^^^^ Yep it will not go forward. This is where my problem lies. My seat will not go forward and it is locked back completely covering the rear bolts. I can not get the seat out to repair it.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

It sounds like your seat position multifunction switch is malfunctioning and driving the seat back. See if you can get it to work....

Try going into your DIC set up functions and tuning off the MEMORY easy out function. If that is corrupt, it can also drive the seat fully rearward.

You can NOT force the seat forward without damaging the entire seat track assy! Read lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to replace it.

Try all of that and if all that fails, I have a couple of more ideas.

BC
Old 11-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

From the Service Manual:
Battery positive voltage is supplied at all times to the seat adjuster switch from the TELE SWITCH/MSM fuse located in the body control module (BCM) fuse block. When a seat adjustment switch is pressed, battery voltage is applied through the switch contacts and the appropriate switch signal circuit to the memory seat module (MSM). The MSM then commands the driver seat motors to move in response to the switch signals.

However, the seat schematics show a 30 amp circuit breaker located in the I/P electrical center Vs a fuse. The breaker feeds power to the Memory Seat Module and may be the power source for the motors Vs the 10 Amp fuse that may only power the Seat Module electronics. Have you checked the circuit breaker? It is on the far right side of the panel second breaker from the top.

Name:  C6I-PElectricalCentershowingSeatCircuitbreaker.jpg
Views: 1682
Size:  62.0 KB

If the circuit breaker is OK then get the codes read and see if there are any seat codes. A flunky OBDII scanner will not be able to read the seat codes. A Tech2 or something similar will be required. If the Tech2 has communications with the seat module there are a number of diagnostics that can be run without removing the seat.

Bill
Old 11-11-2011, 04:17 PM
wide one
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KibunInc
Thanks for the PM response on this but I should have been more clear on the problem. The seat is in the far back position and I can not reach the rear bolts. I can not get a socket or a wrench back there. Is there a way I force the seat forward or remove the cushions to access the motors.

Thanks
The seat bottom is attached to the main frame with hog rings that have to be cut to remove bottom. I don't know how you could get under the seat to cut them. If you have side air bags be careful you don't set them of while messing around. They have more force than the front bags and would be dangerous if accidently activated.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by wide one
The seat bottom is attached to the main frame with hog rings that have to be cut to remove bottom. I don't know how you could get under the seat to cut them. If you have side air bags be careful you don't set them of while messing around. They have more force than the front bags and would be dangerous if accidently activated.
Side air bags can be disconnected by pulling the fuse in the I/P electrical center and then waiting for one minute before doing anything with the seat.

Bill
Old 11-12-2011, 12:54 PM
KibunInc
Instructor

Thanks for everyones response. Now that it is the weekend I will have time to work on the seat. Hopefully these will work and I will be able to adjust the seat again. Luckly for me I am 6-01 so the seat all the way back is not too bad.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:12 PM
gwyliecoyote
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would also like to thank those who replied to this thread!! I had the seat creep problem also and this helped me make short work of the fix.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:59 AM
stevec1127
Cruising

Originally Posted by gwyliecoyote

I would also like to thank those who replied to this thread!! I had the seat creep problem also and this helped me make short work of the fix.

I have one that is just the opposite..the seat just stopped going back and it's stuck all the way up. I was able to take the module out that the switch rides in and it all seems to be fine.

Is there anyway to manually get these seats to reset? I have been reading the posts on here but have had no luck.

On my C4 the bottom seat cushion comes out and the motors are very easily obtained.
thanks
Old 12-05-2017, 03:13 PM
ccounsell
Heel & Toe

My seat is stuck all the way back. How did you get the rear bolts out? I can't even feel the studs/nuts.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:28 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Honestly, the easiest way to do this is to unplug the electrical connector that goes to the front/back motor, and use a separate 12 volt source and two wires to "hot wire" the motor in the direction you need it to go. I have some explanation and pictures in this thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ould-know.html
Old 12-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ccounsell
My seat is stuck all the way back. How did you get the rear bolts out? I can't even feel the studs/nuts.
Can you RAISE the seat UP??? That will give you more room under the seat and maybe you can better get to the rear nuts.

BC

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove driver's seat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove driver's seat