C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:24 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Default HUD Kit

Hey I saw a post early today about a complete HUD kit for about 350.00 but can't find it now even if I search, was I seeing things or was the post deleted, sounded like a good price for HUD set up.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:29 PM
CENT Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's one from a forum vendor.
HEADS UP DISPLAY COMPLETE KIT - $396.74
Click on the name of the kit to link directly to our site to order.
This kit includes;
HUD Display
HUD Switch
HUD Bezel
Custom Wiring Harness
2 6mm nuts
1 Bolt
1 J Nut
6 Wire Quick Splice Connectors.
Detailed Instructions - Feel free to email me and I will send you the instructions if you would like to review before purchasing.
We are not producing the wiring harness in house as first anticipated. We have partnered with an outside source that produces these for us, and we stand behind the quality and craftsmanship.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...staxi-com.html
Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:00 AM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine from PartsTaxi. Super easy install into the new GS. PM me if you want to talk about the install. Have fun!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:25 AM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Hey I saw a post early today about a complete HUD kit for about 350.00 but can't find it now even if I search, was I seeing things or was the post deleted, sounded like a good price for HUD set up.
They are frequently posted. People's reactions are all positive. The only negative posts i've read is the windshield glass is not the same as factory nav and apparently gives a double image.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

We have just come out with our complete kit for $389.99. We also have downloadable instructions and a business card from a popular forum installer who will answer any questions if you have any problems before or during the install.

http://store.gmpartshouse.com/partlo...catalogid=8669

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Thanks, while I think I could do this I am leaning toward having it installed. It would take me much longer to do it myself thank it would to have a pro do it.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 AM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Thanks, while I think I could do this I am leaning toward having it installed. It would take me much longer to do it myself thank it would to have a pro do it.
You could do it yourself if you go slow and take your time.

Personally, if I was to have a HUD installed, it would be by the pull the dash method. Actually, from what I gather, you don't have to really remove the dashboard, just remove more fasteners and pull the dash out a bit. Some people cut a HVAC duct, but I can't imagine damaging and then repairing a HVAC plenum as a professional piece of work.

While you are checking on HUD installers, ask if your installer does an OEM type install, or if he takes the shortcut "cut the duct" method. There is at least one traveling installer on this forum, from the east, that patently refuses to talk about his method. In fact, if you press him on how the job is accomplished, he will contact the staff demanding they sanction you!! You only find out what he cuts, during the job when everything's apart.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:14 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Originally Posted by rgauchey
The only negative posts i've read is the windshield glass is not the same as factory nav and apparently gives a double image.
Not true. It may not be razor sharp like the HUD glass, but there is no double image.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
You could do it yourself if you go slow and take your time.

Personally, if I was to have a HUD installed, it would be by the pull the dash method. Actually, from what I gather, you don't have to really remove the dashboard, just remove more fasteners and pull the dash out a bit. Some people cut a HVAC duct, but I can't imagine damaging and then repairing a HVAC plenum as a professional piece of work.

While you are checking on HUD installers, ask if your installer does an OEM type install, or if he takes the shortcut "cut the duct" method. There is at least one traveling installer on this forum, from the east, that patently refuses to talk about his method. In fact, if you press him on how the job is accomplished, he will contact the staff demanding they sanction you!! You only find out what he cuts, during the job when everything's apart.
Interesting, I will look into this. First I heard about cutting a duct can't imagine that, I am leaning toward doing it myself but don't want to mess up anything. So i I only pull the dash out without removing it do you have to cut duct or can you do it correct without removing the dash.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:13 PM
abazaba410
Racer

^this. I dont want to Cut the duct if i do it
Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 PM
California Don
Drivin' The Dream
Support Corvetteforum!

Cut the duct, deburr it and put it back in after the install using metalic tape. Piece of cake and a very professional job.

Better yet, have one of the guys like Andrew6 install it for you. They have it down to a science and have it done in about an hour. Pull the dash? You gotta be kidding when it is so easy to do it from the front.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 AM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by California Don
Pull the dash? You gotta be kidding when it is so easy to do it from the front.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

i feel like somebody should be getting a kickback for coming up with the easy install (going thru the speedo and cutting the vent pipe) that vendors are now selling tons of kits because they did??????????????
NAAHHHHHH that aint gonna happen, lol.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-install.html
Old 11-11-2011, 12:20 AM
chriscable34
Pro

Cutting the duct is the best way. First off it will take you a while to pull the dash. Secondly you risk creating rattles when you do pull the dash. The last post I read where someone tried to pull the dash broke some piece. Personally for the money, I would get Andrew6 to install. I have seen him install many heads up and you just can't beat it for the price. He is well over 50 installs now. Just be careful if you do remove the dash.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I guess the old saying is you can't have your cake and eat it too. For me to install a HUD by not cutting the duct it would increase the time to around 5 hours. This doesn't include the fact that loosening the dash you'll very easilly damage the dash or other compenents. I personally don't care to do it as it's a complete PITA but will do it but the price will not be $575.00 parts and labor installed. As it is the kits sell for around $420.00 shipped, so not alot of mark up on my part to begin with especially when you count travel & travel time etc...

If it is something you care to tackle yourself have at it and I'll help you out as much as possible. I will give a bit of warning as well. I had a guy out in Georgia call me today that installed one and has major problems now (dealership doesn't even know what he did wrong). I can only help so much over the phone with out seeing things for myself or knowing what was damaged during installs.

(you screw it up its on you, I screw it up I have to pay for it and fix it.)

Any questions concerns etc... feel free to contact me.

Andrew
832 457 9253

Last edited by Andrew6@TheDoubleAA; 11-11-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:57 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by chriscable34
Cutting the duct is the best way. First off it will take you a while to pull the dash. Secondly you risk creating rattles when you do pull the dash. The last post I read where someone tried to pull the dash broke some piece. Personally for the money, I would get Andrew6 to install. I have seen him install many heads up and you just can't beat it for the price. He is well over 50 installs now. Just be careful if you do remove the dash.
Did #62 in Portland Oregon Wednesday night. Glad to be back home in Houston

Get notified of new replies

To HUD Kit

Old 11-11-2011, 07:57 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by HANNY
i feel like somebody should be getting a kickback for coming up with the easy install (going thru the speedo and cutting the vent pipe) that vendors are now selling tons of kits because they did??????????????
NAAHHHHHH that aint gonna happen, lol.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-install.html
l'll have to get up with you soon to modify some stuff.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Default DIY or Andrew

I am going to do this just can't decide on DIY or having Andrew do it. The major problem with having it done is location. Just thinking out loud here no real question, options?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:06 PM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

This isn't hard Paul. You can handle it, save some cash!

Quick Reply: HUD Kit