C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do the brake pad clips go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Bowtieguy54
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do the brake pad clips go?

I am about to install a set of GM performace front brake calipers & pads. The pads came with a bag of hardware. I know where 4 of the clips go - each end of the abutment brackets but there are 2 other clips. I believe they are squeal clips but I can not tell where they go from the instructions provided. Can ayone provide a picture or explain in detail where this clip goes and what it does? Is it really necessary?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtieguy54
I am about to install a set of GM performace front brake calipers & pads. The pads came with a bag of hardware. I know where 4 of the clips go - each end of the abutment brackets but there are 2 other clips. I believe they are squeal clips but I can not tell where they go from the instructions provided. Can ayone provide a picture or explain in detail where this clip goes and what it does? Is it really necessary?
If they are what I think they are they clip to the brake pads positioned such that the piston contacts the metal guard instead of the back of the actual pad. Do you have a picture?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
If they are what I think they are they clip to the brake pads positioned such that the piston contacts the metal guard instead of the back of the actual pad. Do you have a picture?
I agree
Old 11-08-2011, 04:25 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The third clip goes on the inside of the caliper. Look at it and you will see two small "arms" about 3/16" long pushed out from the rounded side of the clip. These locate the clip on the inside of the caliper. It will snap in place with a little pressure. This clip keeps the pads pushed all the way down and help alleviate squeel.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Bowtieguy54
4th Gear

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
The third clip goes on the inside of the caliper. Look at it and you will see two small "arms" about 3/16" long pushed out from the rounded side of the clip. These locate the clip on the inside of the caliper. It will snap in place with a little pressure. This clip keeps the pads pushed all the way down and help alleviate squeel.

Very nice explanation - thanks for the help!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:49 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

just pop the other wheel off and look at it for guidance...
Old 01-10-2018, 09:48 PM
EC-C4
Cruising

Hello I hope I haven't missed the boat on this thread. I am replacing the front pads and calipers on my 86 there are abutment clips that came with the hardware kit I am having the same issue as the original post here. I cannot for the life of me figure where these clips go. I pulled the other side off and both sides did not have these. If someone can please help I would appreciate it.

Get notified of new replies

To Where do the brake pad clips go?

Quick Reply: Where do the brake pad clips go?