Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dealer wants $1,200 for Brake Job - Pads and Rotors Turned

Old 11-06-2011, 12:44 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Dealer wants $1,200 for Brake Job - Pads and Rotors Turned

Got an estimate Saturday for a full brake job - front and rear, pads, rotors turned.

The parts alone were $903

Labor was $270

Is that a good deal? I was checking around and found brake pads for $90 for front and $90 for back.

Anyone know someone in far north Dallas/Plano/Frisco that could do it for a more reasonable price?

Keep in mind that getting it on a rack would be quite a challenge as it has the ZR1 front spoiler and side-skirts.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2011, 12:45 PM
JABLS7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JGarland
Got an estimate Saturday for a full brake job - front and rear, pads, rotors turned.

The parts alone were $903

Labor was $270

Is that a good deal? I was checking around and found brake pads for $90 for front and $90 for back.

Anyone know someone in far north Dallas/Plano/Frisco that could do it for a more reasonable price?

Keep in mind that getting it on a rack would be quite a challenge as it has the ZR1 front spoiler and side-skirts.

Thanks
Sounds about right, i had this done a few weeks ago and i got them to shave about $200 off each Brake pad by buying them with a Local Companies Price. But before it would of been $1200. The Z06 brake pads are no joke
Old 11-06-2011, 12:47 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you not getting new rotors?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:51 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

thats nuts...
Old 11-06-2011, 01:04 PM
CENT Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ceramic pads are only about 300.00 for both front and back from the Forum vendors.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:06 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by screaminchevy
Are you not getting new rotors?
Forgot to mention, dealer says the rotors can be turned.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:16 PM
flyloeZ06
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why do the rotors need turning? Are they warped or scored?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:17 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by flyloeZ06
Why do the rotors need turning? Are they warped or scored?
They are warped and scored. But dealer says they can be turned.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:24 PM
VicCaerter
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Choices are to do it yourself or pay the man. If I were in your position, I would get one of those cordless impact guns, a set of jack stands and a low profile jack to change them out myself. BTW, don't touch the pins in the caliper.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:25 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can get new pads and rotors for $900 through a different route. Plus the GM pads leave a ton of dust. There's a ton of vette shops in dfw, see what LG, Quality Motorsports, or 21st can do for you. Mines at QMS right now getting new brakes.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

The GM pad replacement kit also includes new Z06 caliper pad guide pins which significantly raises the cost of the kit. Do you really need new rotors? Are they below minimum thickness or close to being below it? You don't need a lift to do this job just a lifting puck, jack, two jack stands and some wrenches. Impact gun would make it easier to get the caliper mounting bolts loosened but people do it without having one. Lift one corner of the car at a time with the jack and the lifting puck, once lifted place a jackstand under the cradle at that corner and lower the jack until car is resting on both the stand and the jack, then pull wheel, compress caliper pistons (when doing this check fluid in reservoir to make sure it isn't going to overflow), remove caliper guide pins if you have new ones, remove caliper from mount and hang vertically on the second jack stand, replace rotor, install guide pins in caliper and then install pads, place caliper over rotor and fasten mounting bolts. Replace wheel remove jackstand and lower car till wheel just touches the ground and torque the lug nuts. Then lower car and go to next corner. When you get quick at this you can do all 4 corners in about 45 minutes.

Dealer is giving you a good deal on the GM Parts. Price is competitive (within $25) with the forum GM parts vendors and you have to add shipping to their cost.

If you don't need to replace the rotors don't do it. They should last at least twice as long as the pads. You can save by going with non GM pads but they will not come with new pins. If you do that make sure you clean the pins thoroughly as they get deposits on them that tend to restrict pad or padlet movement. If you go aftermarket you also have a choice between one piece pads or padlets. It is easier to work with the one piece pads.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-06-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer wants $1,200 for Brake Job - Pads and Rotors Turned

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Dealer wants $1,200 for Brake Job - Pads and Rotors Turned