Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Johnny O'Connell Shocks: My Review

Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Johnny O'Connell Shocks: My Review

Now that I've had these installed for a few weeks and a few hundred miles, I figured it's time to write a review.

Everything from the packaging to the way the shock looked was A+, except I am not an expert box opener.
This is what arrived just two days after it shipped!!

So then, time passes and more miles on my stock shocks are there. But hey, whatever.. just waiting for my shop to have an opening to install these bad boys. And then that day came.

Installed pic

After I picked my car up (I believe it was about a 3 hours install) I immediately noticed the differences that it made when hitting large bumps and connections on the freeways. It was still noticeable, but it felt more like the car was gliding over them than slamming over them. The ride was a little more rough on very little things like reflectors on the freeway but other than that the ride remained about the same and it was certainly nothing to complain about.

As far as handling goes, the car feels very secure and very planted. The car literally feels like it has superglue holding it to the ground sometimes which is pretty neat compared to the stock Z06 feel of "zomg is the rear gonna come out on me?". BTW I'm running NT05's on the rear and some PS2's up front that need replaced (which I realized how badly I needed new fronts [I'm switching those to NT05's as well] until I got these installed).

As an added bonus, the car feels much different when you purposely go sideways. The car is extremely easy to predict now and take control of. In a circumstance where I came out of a turn and got on it I expected the rear to come out like before, but I didn't expect it to be substantially easier to get control of. It's hard to explain, but that was the biggest complaint about the car stock was how you never knew how far out the back was gonna go and how much effort was going to be required to bring it back. Now you go off of pure instinct and the car will just come back as easily as you get it go out.

In a nutshell, I would (and I am!) highly recommend these shocks for anyone who is on the fence about them. I have a few other mods besides these (headers, intake, corsa etc) and I wish I had done these first thing. No joke.

And a HUGE thank you to the guys at Pfadt who answered all of my questions the last day of the group buy. I didn't buy the sway bars per their recommendation on my driving style and what I wanted from the car. If anyone has any questions on their application these guys will for sure if you the answers you're searching for. Thanks guys!!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Z06_Mir! We saw some improvements could be made to the stock Z06 shocks, and stability over irregular roads was one area we feel is one area that these Johnny O'Connell shocks can make a huge difference.

We really appreciate the kind words, and if you need any more help with your suspension in the future please keep us in mind!

Last edited by Pfadt Racing; 10-24-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good review...and go PACKERS!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:34 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Nice write up!!!

Mark
Old 10-24-2011, 08:22 PM
dkvetteguy
Racer

Yep AWESOME !!! I got the whole JOC package and its great
Old 10-25-2011, 05:51 AM
Carnut1
Pro

Received 257 Likes on 128 Posts

I intend to have the JOC package installed on my car, but since it is almost November, I will probably wait till spring, you can loose a car in some of the potholes we get around here in the winter. Thanks for the write up.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:23 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I bought the whole package and I agree for the most part about on the highway. I feel the shocks actually were smoother over every bump large and small and the car feels so tight. I had an instructor who also runs a speed shop install the shocks and bars and had it done in a few hours. He joked about the yellow bars saying he kept getting prints all over them and had to keep cleaning them off.

I took it to the track Sat and unless it's my imagination, the turn in was scalpel sharp. I found my skills had improved to the point that I noticed very little tire squeal. I was first out in B Class and with 17 cars no one caught me in the 20 minute session. The car really is planted and in one of the really difficult turns I was able to slide the tail out a little without winding up in the grass. There must have been 6-8 cars off the track Sat. It was my most enjoyable track date this year. I had the bars installed in the center position.

And BTW,a friend brought his Go Pro set up to the track and stuck it on my roof when he rode with me. He produced a great 20 minute video of us tearing around Nelson Ledges and passing 5-6 cars. He gave it to me last night. What a great training tool as I can see how to improve.

Last edited by nmerhaut; 10-25-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
with the good review. Packers??? Wrong. Your from R.I. Traitor.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 711 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
with the review part, but the Packers
Old 10-26-2011, 01:07 AM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheVettePirate