C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 automatic transmission filter change

Old 10-24-2011, 06:27 PM
96BAM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 automatic transmission filter change

Any one chaged out the A6 filter yet???? If you have how did you get the back 4 bolts out.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 07:28 PM
96BAM
Instructor

No diyers out there??????
Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 96BAM
No diyers out there??????
I don't think so!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Dealership did it for me.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

In order to get to some of the bolts, I believe we removed the (4) nuts "see green" then we placed a brace "see blue" and raised the trans a little.
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,107 Likes on 689 Posts

I have searched here and asked questions on DIY A6 trans filter change and still can't seem to get a full understanding before I start.

- How do you get the back bolts out?

- Can you just measure the amount of fluid drained and put the same amount back in to avoid the need to pull plug after warming it up?

- Do you need a special squirt bottle/dispenser to get the fluid up to the fill hole?

- How much do I need and where is a good place to get Dexron VI without spending a fortune?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:54 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Any one chaged out the A6 filter yet???? If you have how did you get the back 4 bolts out.

Thanks

I though the A6 on my 2008 was a sealed unit and did not require service, it does not have a dip stick, am I wrong?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 AM
dkvetteguy
Racer

those pics are of a manual diff drain plugs.Not even an automatic which has a pan. PLEASE READ the original post!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:58 AM
dkvetteguy
Racer

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
I have searched here and asked questions on DIY A6 trans filter change and still can't seem to get a full understanding before I start.

- How do you get the back bolts out?

- Can you just measure the amount of fluid drained and put the same amount back in to avoid the need to pull plug after warming it up?

- Do you need a special squirt bottle/dispenser to get the fluid up to the fill hole?

- How much do I need and where is a good place to get Dexron VI without spending a fortune?
MY advice which will save you a lot of money. Let the dealer do it. It is not an easy do it yourself! Trans must be level,right temp and fluid added when running to side plug until it starts to run out. If u are not up to all the facts and not done right an expensive repair due to an underfilled tranny will result. Leave it to the pros if your not mechanically knowledgable
Old 10-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Unless the fluid looks burnt, leave it alone. If it is burnt there are problems that a transmission shop needs to address. I have a truck with over a hundred thousand miles with the original transmission fluid, and no problems.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Vinnie T
Pro

Originally Posted by dkvetteguy
MY advice which will save you a lot of money. Let the dealer do it. It is not an easy do it yourself! Trans must be level,right temp and fluid added when running to side plug until it starts to run out. If u are not up to all the facts and not done right an expensive repair due to an underfilled tranny will result. Leave it to the pros if your not mechanically knowledgable
Agreed! I looked into this after I bought my car since I'm a DIY kind of guy. After reading the procedure and warnings, I decided to leave it to the pros when I have it done. This is not your typical automatic tranny with a dipstick under the hood and a drain pan on the underside. Do it wrong, and you've got real problems.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manufactures prefer you not change out the filter by dropping the pan on newer model autos. They want you to get a fluid transfer done. They remove the current fluid in the transmission system, run a cleaning solution through it, and add new trans fluid back. There are some systems that are sealed. The sealed system should only by done by the dealership.

Last edited by needcheese; 10-25-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by needcheese
Manufactures prefer you not change out the filter by dropping the pan on newer model autos. They want you to get a fluid transfer done. They remove the current fluid in the transmission system, run a cleaning solution through it, and add new trans fluid back. There are some systems that are sealed. The sealed system should only by done by the dealership.
Our C6 Service Manual does not recommend or even mention any kind of fluid exchange or flush. The only procedure they show is the normal: drain-replace filter-refill.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:44 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,503 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Here's an old thread regarding changing fluid that has good info:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nsmission.html

For the OP, PM thesubfloor, as he posted a how-to on removing the bolts, but I can't find it now.

To all the DIY'ers: I strongly suggest buying the GM service manuals for your specific car. They're not perfect and aren't necessarily the easiest read or method of repairs, but will give you a tremendous advantage over not having that reference available.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:11 PM
96BAM
Instructor

I have a shop manual and there is nothing in the book about removing the 4 nuts and raising the trans to get to the 4 bolts. All it said was remove the 18 bolts. The trans raise about 1' to 1 1/2" and you are able to remove the bolts. I was not changing the filter out just to do it. The Trans pan had a BIG dent in it. So it had to be replaced
Old 10-25-2011, 02:25 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,503 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have a shop manual and there is nothing in the book about removing the 4 nuts and raising the trans to get to the 4 bolts. All it said was remove the 18 bolts. The trans raise about 1' to 1 1/2" and you are able to remove the bolts. I was not changing the filter out just to do it. The Trans pan had a BIG dent in it. So it had to be replaced
Yep! That's just one of the many shortcomings of the manuals. Some stuff you just have to figure out on your own.

I particularly like the one for the removal of the freon hose connector from the compressor. See the illustration and then look at the car and see the impossible.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dkvetteguy
those pics are of a manual diff drain plugs.Not even an automatic which has a pan. PLEASE READ the original post!
The pic is not perfect, but it will work for a quick reference. We have replaced my 07 A6 filter many times before "every 20,000 to 30,000 miles" which has well over 120,000 miles on it. For those that wish to do the drain, drop pan, clean pan, replace filter, install pan, & refill; I would recommend you drain and refill the diff at the same time.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 automatic transmission filter change

Old 10-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Bill Soda
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Three or four aft bolts can be removed with a 10MM ( I think ) open end wrench. Remove these bolts first and install them last. The remaining bolts are easy and follow info in post #14 regarding refill and torque specs. Filter pulls out and its not really necessary to change the applicable seal unless new filter does not fit ( unlikely ) firmly in place. The job is really no big deal, just rather messy. I installed about seven quarts ( a little overfilled ) but then when it gets up to specified temp all you have to do is remove pan plug to establish proper level. No need to add more fluid near those hot exhaust pipes.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Also here is another thread about the same topic.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...post1579063530

"Linked for those that are doing a search about the topic"
Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Bolts must be removed and tranny raised. I watched my Corvette tech do it three weeks ago. Let the pro handle this one.

Same tech 21 years. Followed him to three dealerships - one of them 80 miles from my house. Yes, he's THAT good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 automatic transmission filter change