Korvet08
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id like to have it on my next vette
Old 10-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

"Would you like to see a system like the CUE in the C7 or something more traditional?" This is traditional for Corvette. It's just the sort of car-show gimmickry that has created Corvette lust (and yes, occasional ridicule) for generations. Not every gizmo is universally beloved after the fact or even in its day, but it contributes to Corvette's overall cool.

If GM wants to appeal to a younger audience, they must put it in Corvette, old fogeys and luddites be damned. Smart phones and tablets are status symbols. Fighter jets have glass cockpits. This is a no-brainer.

.Jinx
Old 10-13-2011, 03:15 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I hope GM doesn't go all digital on the Vette gauges. Something like they're doing with the new Cruze would be good - tach via analog gauge (always visible, never misinterpreted), and speedo and other gauges digital (and configurable in the Vette).

I guess I'll reserve judgement until I get a chance to use one of the digital dashes in real driving conditions, but normal TFT screens are too often unreadable in cars, either because of glare or washing out in sunlight. The Vette should stay true to its mission of being a performance car, and that means functionality should remain the priority.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:36 PM
XotiK ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nav, on star, a nice radio with Ipod jacks, heads up and a back up cam. Thats all I want... if I have to read a book to figure out how to use it... I wont.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:39 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm still debating between a C6 or C7. Not sure if I can wait two years! But if I end up with a C6 and then the CUE comes to the C7, I'll be cursing my lack of patience!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:28 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I agree 100% and this will be one of the main features to bring in a younger demographic. Combine this with Apple's new Siri artificial intelligence voice recognition system and you will have a car that will appeal to the market GM wants to attract. If it's the same old, same old instrument cluster, sales of the new corvette will decline further. The CUE technology is not only a cool new option but the next plateau necesssary to bring our cherished corvette into the future.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:36 PM
dmacx_33
Heel & Toe

If they put a system like the CUE in the C7, I'll put off buying the ZL1 camaro and wait for the new vette.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:42 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 607 Likes on 190 Posts

I would pay $1000 to NOT have it on my car, just another thing to break & would not use it anyways. I personally do not get it. I am on a PC at work all day long, have a lap top at home & the last thing I want to do is try to interface with a touch screen on a car, sync a phone etc.

For me smart phones & tablets are more of a sign of a waste of money then anything else & I deal with technology all day long.

If they do add this stuff & my bet is they will, my hope is it is an option.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:52 PM
CannedBullets
Advanced

That would be cool if it's simple. So people who aren't as technologically literate as younger people won't be intimidated by the interface.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:24 AM
kjstoy
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Nope

Originally Posted by zland
I would pay $1000 to NOT have it on my car, just another thing to break & would not use it anyways.

Can you imagine trying to make adjustments on this thing while driving? Or is it adjustable only while parked. Sorry old Fogey here don't like.( Not that old, but old enough) I like to see the C7 kept as a performance car. Keep the fancy stuff for the luxury cars..JMHO
Old 10-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

I would pay $1000 to NOT have it on my car, just another thing to break & would not use it anyways.
Not another thing; just a newer version of systems Corvette already has. And those existing systems are already electronic, just fronted by some mechanical controls/needles.

I personally do not get it. I am on a PC at work all day long, have a lap top at home & the last thing I want to do is try to interface with a touch screen on a car, sync a phone etc.
I'm sure you won't have to interface with the touch screen to drive the vehicle, or even use basic climate control and stereo functions. Of course, if you want to do more, you'll have to use the computer's modern control interface, just like you probably use a mouse when you want to do more than type a memo

For me smart phones & tablets are more of a sign of a waste of money then anything else & I deal with technology all day long.
Yeah, they're toys for a lot of folks, but some of them probably think a 400+hp two-seat automobile is a waste of money...

I'm sure they'll find a way to make some of it cost more -- maybe charge a thousand bucks for the navigation software, maybe try to make money on a cellular data plan -- but I doubt they'll engineer both a full set of pseudomechanical ***** and gauges and the touch controls and gauge screen. That makes about as much sense as optional crank windows.

I'm a bit of a phone luddite myself -- I like physical buttons. Hell, I'm typing this on a keyboard with metal springs under the keys. But touchscreens have proven to be powerful user interface devices, in addition to being fashionable among potential customers for expensive low-volume sports cars, so if we want to keep driving the latest and greatest sports cars, we're going to have to accept change. Or maybe we just hang on to our older Vettes and remember the good old days. Either way, we're experiencing something far more visceral than those kids playing Angry Birds.

.Jinx
Old 10-17-2011, 09:07 AM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

I would pay $1000 to NOT have it on my car, just another thing to break & would not use it anyways. I personally do not get it. I am on a PC at work all day long, have a lap top at home & the last thing I want to do is try to interface with a touch screen on a car, sync a phone etc.

I have some sympathies with this point of view. Much of the functionality in my BMW remains undiscovered as I'm not interested in getting out the manual and playing with the thing. Discovery of the hidden features tends to happen over time while all of the basic functions are obvious and easy to access. I think this is a good approach.

As an aside, I do think the smartphone integration is a huge plus and very much worth the one time effort required to sync with the car. I just leave my phone in my pocket and it works seamlessly.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:30 AM
ockie
Instructor

...TAKE MY MONEY!!

Yes, please put this in the car.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:54 PM
08Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it !!!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:17 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

Corvette is supposed to be a driver's vehicle. I sure hope it isn't laden with garbage that is found on everything else. I ride a bike and you wouldn't believe the crap I see people doing in their vehicles...

For instance last Saturday~

4 lane (15' wide each) w/ median, 55mph, 9:30 am. Traffic moderate.
I spot a car weaving in it's lane. (Using the BOTTS dots as Braille!)

A young woman has her nose 4" from the visor mirror applying makeup. STANDING NEXT TO HER ON THE CONSOLE IS A 2-3 YEAR OLD TODDLER WITH HIS HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL.

So, he's steering and she's working the pedals while not looking at the road at all. Perfect, just friggen perfect.

and you guys wanna put MORE distractions in vehicles?
Old 10-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Process Black
Drifting

Originally Posted by ockie
...TAKE MY MONEY!!

Yes, please put this in the car.
I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing's happening!

Get notified of new replies

To Why the C7 Needs GM's Latest Infotainment System

Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 PM
sirrob
Advanced

It would be a TRAVESTY if they don't offer this as at least an option!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 PM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY

A young woman has her nose 4" from the visor mirror applying makeup. STANDING NEXT TO HER ON THE CONSOLE IS A 2-3 YEAR OLD TODDLER WITH HIS HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL.

So, he's steering and she's working the pedals while not looking at the road at all. Perfect, just friggen perfect.
That's completely insane. Such behavior has nothing to do with the technology on board. It has more to do with the brains behind the wheel. Or lack thereof.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NORTY
Corvette is supposed to be a driver's vehicle. I sure hope it isn't laden with garbage that is found on everything else.
This is exactly why nobody but old farts and car dorks wants a Corvette.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why the C7 Needs GM's Latest Infotainment System