Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Old 03-06-2015, 03:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
  • C4 vs C5
    Important information to help you understand your Corvette.

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

LT1 C4(92-96) vs. LS1 C5 (97-04)

Old 10-10-2011, 01:17 AM
apollo240
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 C4(92-96) vs. LS1 C5 (97-04)

I was wondering, just how much did they really improve the C5 over the C4? Performance, ride quality, comfort, squeaks, creaks, leaks, rattles, everything overall? I know when a new model comes out its always said to be leaps and bounds over the previous model. However Im one to belive thats not always true. Yeah there are generally better qualities about the newer stuff but its not always as much as its made out to be. I have very limited expierence with C5's. So far the benefits I have seen to the C5 are the LS1 having more power and no optispark, easier to take the targa off and on(which is a very nice feature), more room in the rear. Im not sure about leg room up front. I know in the drivers seat, my 6'3" frame fits comfortably in my C4. Honestly my 92 is the most comfortable car Ive had. My 03 Mach 1 was sweet but the Vette still allows me to stretch out more, which is a big plus for my knee problem. Searching around I found the motor week test videos for the 92 and the 97. It looks like the 97 was only .3 tenths and a couple mph quicker in the 1/4, if I remember correctly. Fuel mileage was about the same I believe. I dont think it said anything about braking. So what are the opinions of you more expierenced Vette owners?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:43 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Go drive a C5 and do your own assessment. You already know the C5 is faster and a better Vette.

Threads like this have been created in this forum since 1999. There is a thread originated by a member with all the details you want to now. Use the search and find it.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:43 AM
doc_cj
Instructor

Originally Posted by apollo240
I was wondering, just how much did they really improve the C5 over the C4?
I always get a kick out of people who spend so much time bitching about a thread like this and never really add anything of substance. The way I see it, if you don't want to participate in the discussion, move on to something else. The guy(or gal) has a legitimate question, and if you don't want to answer then there's no real need to bust his (or her) ***** over something so trivial.

Okay, back to the original post ...

I've had several C4s, and I personally love 'em. So take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

Performance, ride quality, comfort, squeaks, creaks, leaks, rattles, everything overall?
I drove several C6s and probably twice as many C5s before I pulled the trigger on my current C4. I had sold an '88 a few months before, and wasn't sure if I'd stay with the C4 or move to a C5. I really wanted a C6, more because of all the accessories that are available. But in the end, I spent a lot less money on a really nice C4.

I can say that there is a very clear difference between the ride of the three generations. As for ride quality, the C6 was the best of the group, but there were a couple C6s that were just trash. That was mostly because prior owners had not taken care of them, so you'll have to consider that when you make this type of comparison.

The advances that Chevrolet made between the C4, 5, and 6 generations has a lot to do with the ride quality. Simply put, you can feel the difference but that is not to say the ride quality for a decent C4 is not outstanding. I've also owned a few C3 (no C2 or C1 models) in my life, and there is a big difference between these and the C4, 5 & 6 generations. My two favorite C3s were actually the least favored among the knowledgeable in Corvette land. One was a '68 and the other a '75. The '68 had a 327/350 with 4-speed, and it was a speedy little bugger. But it rattled, squeaked, and had all kinds of little noises associated with it. The '75, on the other hand, was much nicer riding, but it had significantly less power.

When I moved up the C4 generation I noticed so much difference in ride quality that I would say it was "leaps and bounds" better. The first C4 I had was an '86, and the 11 years between the '75 and '86 models had made a big difference in how well the car rode and handled. The '68 and '75 were beasts compared to the '86.

Later, when I went through another '86 and a couple '88s on the way to my current '96, I would have to say that the differences in ride were not as dramatic. That is, between the closer ranged models. There is a difference, a notable one, between the '86 and '96, but not quite as dramatic as from '75 to '86.

Even within the fourth-generation there is significant change in ride quality, so to compare between generations only creates an apples or oranges problem. One interesting item to note when considering the C-4 is that a lot of "restomod" cars will use the C-4 components when sliding in a new frame under the C3 or C2 shell. This may have something to do with cost but I suspect has a lot more to do with simple comfort. I know that the '68 seemed to be quicker than my '86 and '88, so I'd happily swap out that engine/tranny combination so long as I could keep the C4 suspension system.

Not surprisingly, in the last few months of the Corvette magazines I've been reading all had cars from earlier generations that had fourth-generation suspensions put in them for the ride. That would seem to say a lot about the ride quality of the C4.

If you are interested in the difference between suspension for the various C4 models then take a look at the fourth-generation suspension chart at Corvette Action Center: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...usp_chart.html. This will give you a great idea of the changes made just within the fourth-generation car line.

Squeaks, leaks, rattle and other issues are probably more related to the overall mileage and care of the car during its lifetime. In the long run, all of the fourth-generation cars I've had sounded and rode about like what you would expect for a car of that type. My current C4, a 96 convertible, is really very tight, and with just over 48,000 miles, in my experience, this is one of the better built C4 cars out there.

I know when a new model comes out its always said to be leaps and bounds over the previous model.
Some folks would disagree with you on this point, believing that a new generation is usually much worse than the older generation … especially when it comes to Corvettes. I have a friend who claims he would never own anything newer than 1967, and he's dropped enough money on his '65 to convince me he is serious. For what he's spent, he could easily have a very nice C5 or early run of the C6s.

Anyway, within the generation there are always advances, and some are considered significant over the prior year even within the same generation. Take for example the earliest fourth-generation cars and the crossfire injection system. For me, the question is what can you afford and what are you willing to put up with for the particular experience of owning a Corvette. Obviously, a C-5 will be considerably more expensive than a 1982 or 1984 C4 model. But if you can only afford the earlier year of the C4 generation then you're more likely to find it a great car regardless of how much better a C5 or C6 will run/ride.

Interesting to note is that sometimes changes between generations are not as dramatic mechanically as they are style exercises. Obviously Chevrolet has gotten a lot of mileage (pun intended) out of the 350 cu. in. motor in its various configurations. Not sure how much you want to consider the change from one generation to the next for this workhorse motor as significant or "leaps and bounds" above the last generation, but I guess there have been enough changes to consider one model or generation as improved. I'm just not sure some of those changes would make that big of buying decision difference for me, assuming that the cars were all within my particular budget. So the change from a '96 to a '97, both of which had a very similar motor setup, would not be the determining factor (mechanically); however, the styling cues may be enough to make me pick one over the other.

Of course,the migration from one generation to the next is not always as easy as the manufacturer might like, and the Corvette story is certainly proof of that. By the end of the third generation in 1982 the 350 motor was well proven and the fact that 1983 was pretty much skipped had less to do with "leaps and bounds" changes to the motor than it did other things such as suspension and changes to the manufacturing processes needed for the generational change.

If I recall, 43 of the 44 Corvettes produced in 1983 were destroyed and the only one remaining is in the National Corvette Museum (those with more information can correct me, of course). I also believe that the generational change had a lot to do with tooling and overall production issues, not just the fact that a new generation had come out. I guess what I'm saying is that this is an example of where the "leaps and bounds" changes may not have been so obvious.

Likewise, I don't think the change from the '96 C4 to the '97 C5 (mechanically) was so much of an "improvement" that it demanded folks forego a good quality C4. Again, I think it is probably more about styling, and by '96 the C4 was pretty much at the end of what they wanted to do with the styling issues. It was simply time for a change in order to keep interest high.

However Im one to belive thats not always true. Yeah there are generally better qualities about the newer stuff but its not always as much as its made out to be. I have very limited expierence with C5's. So far the benefits I have seen to the C5 are the LS1 having more power and no optispark, easier to take the targa off and on(which is a very nice feature), more room in the rear.
Since I am a rag top guy to the bitter end I'll leave the targa top stuff to others to comment on. I do know the fifth-generation convertibles I test drove had so much more room in their (trunk) storage areas than what I have on any of my C4 cars. So that's certainly an advantage that would be worth considering, but not necessarily one that would be a deal breaker for me.

I guess for me the change in generations is more about style than anything else. The later runs of the C4 were pretty much bomb proof as far as creaks, rattles, etc. The cars are well put together, in my opinion, and I have a lot less noise problem than anyone I know with a performance car from the same era.

As I noted, I think for a lot of people the choice between generations has to do with money more than anything else. A lot of folks will simply tell you to buy the latest model you can afford, but for me there's a lot more to it. While I like the C5 models, I kind of like the C4 design a little better. In fact, my favorite design is the '68-'71 runs of the C4s, followed closely by the '95-'96 C4s. The C5s are fine, but they just don't do it as much for me as the C3 and C4. Then again, I do like the C6s a lot, so maybe it's just a single generation thing for me.

Then again, if my money supply were bigger I definitely would have a C5 or C6 Corvette in the garage. I'd probably have a car from each generation, if I could afford it.

If comfort is a big deal, and based on your comments I'm assuming it probably is, then the C4 or C5 will do just fine. At just over 6'1" and 245 lbs I find that my C4 is comfortable enough for relatively long rides. My problem is not really comfort inside but more about how to get in and out. I have arthritis pretty bad in my lower back and hips, so sliding in and out is always a literal pain for me. Thankfully I was already a convertible guy, so one advantage is having the top down when trying in enter or exit.

Most recently I drove from southern Utah to Flagstaff, AZ, for a weekend jaunt, and both my wife and I were comfortable in the '96. The lack of space for our stuff was probably a bigger problem than the ride. I have a Harley touring bike as well, and I think I can carry more stuff on my bike than in my Corvette.

Maybe a C5 would be a bit better, but it would also likely be a lot more money out of my budget, so there's no real issue for me. I love the C4s, especially the later runs, and the overall ride is good enough for me.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 288 Likes on 221 Posts

Don't be an A-Hole it's called a FORUM look it up..The club I'm in we drive each others vetts it's fun..I have an restored C-4 ..The C-4 has an old hot rod feel to it, a little ruff ride I have upgraded it to more power and handles with the newer ones .I like the old school kinda ride.. are the newer vetts better ??? Yes..Does it have the old school feel no..To get a super C-4 will you have to build one yes.. It's the look on there faces when I pull up next to at speed ..For me what PRICELESS...
Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Well now I'm wondering why the OP hasn't filled in any of his profile. have we been duped again?

(didn't notice that on my first read)
Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a big fan of the C4's and a relatively new C4 owner. I got my 1995 Vert for $6741 and haven't looked back. Prior to purchase I drove C5's and C6's. I could have bought what I wanted but I chose the C4 because of the way that I seemed to sit in the car as opposed to on the car. It had some rattles and squeaks to be sure.

I've just finished installing a new steering rack, all tie rod ends, a lowering kit and Bilsteins all around. The squeaks and rattles have stopped and it is now a completely different animal. It handles great. Oversteer can be induced with just a tap of the throttle and is very controllable. I feel as if the car and I are one and communicate well with each other.

I never got that feeling in the later models. I get many people walking up to me and mentioning how they like the looks of mine vs the new ones. Apparently it's what a Vette is supposed to look like. At least that is the popular perception.

I'll have more power than a C6-Z06 soon and am looking forward to even more fun. I'll paint it this winter and install a Toledo Pro hood. I believe that will add to the lines of the already good looking Vette. I've installed a double din GPS/receiver in the dash and with the climate controlled heating system it is now modern. What's not to like.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ghee.... I currently own 6 Corvettes...(64 72 76 79 88 and 98 3 rag tops and 3 coupes)... I sold my 95 in 98 when I retired and bought the 98 (a ragtop)

Last December I purchased a 35th Anniv Coupe mainly because I always like that car PLUS I honestly missed my c4...the 95...

Can not comment on the targa tops as I never bother to remove them mainly because I hated how the car felt with them removed (flexable flyer crowl shake effect) and if I wanted to go topless I'd rather take a convertible...

The l98 honestly feels a heck of a lot stronger at the stoplight then my lt1 95 OR my current Ls1 98 but once across the intersection it quickly ran out of air and was gasping for a breath ...

Comfort wise...LOL...hard to answer since I am not in my late 60's....the C5 is easy to get in and out of the C4's are a royal pain in the A$$ for me to get into and get out of...BUT once seated in the car I honestly prefer the "feel" of the c4 much much better then the C5...its a fighter plane type of feel...you are part of the car...I just can not say that about the C5...

Rattles etc... Good question but neither of my C4's nor my C5 have any issues .. and I am satisfied ... only complaint and only thing I had to do to the C5 was mess with the drivers seat..it moved or rocked a hair when I got on the brakes...not a hard fix but one that had to be done...

Just my opinions...

BUT I do have room in the garage for one more Corvette and to be frank it would be another C2 because at my age I do not have any interest at all in the C6 or a newer c5 ... and since I purchased my 35th anniv 88 the only other C4 I would even consider would be a Grand Sport Coupe.....

I only sold 2 corvettes in my life (a 62 after I got married in 65 and the 95 when I retired.. I could kick myself for selling them...but that is life...

BTW...My wife drove a 55 2 door Chevy Belair V8 hardtop when I married her that was sold with my 62 Vette so we could buy a VW... STUPID STUPID STUPID...but hey we were both young kids with no brains then .LOL ..

Bob G.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:17 AM
1963SS
Drifting

old with my 62 Vette so we could buy a VW... STUPID STUPID STUPID
Hippie. Was it a MicroBus with peace signs and Jerry Garcia posters in the windows and a bumper sticker that said, "***, Gas or Grass, no one rides for free".
Old 10-10-2011, 11:11 AM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1963SS
"***, Gas or Grass, no one rides for free".
I always what happened to a male that was broke, didn't do drugs, and needed a ride?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 AM
apollo240
Racer

To those actually providing input, thanks.

To who said i never updated my profile...i have a 92 so im not bsing.

I dont really want to go to a dealer or bother someone whos is selling theirs just to drive a c5. What waste the sellers time, or keep getting hassled from the dealer. I started this thread for some discussion to kill time. Ive been curious how the newer generation compared against my cars generation. Instead of reading an article from say motor trend, which will almost always say the newer car is better in every way, i wanted to get real input from those that have owned both.

Anyway, to who said It about the fighter jet feel, yeah i 100% agree! Thats what has always drawn me to the C4's. The styling has always got me as well. It sounds i feel the same way alot of you all do.

So for the squeaks, creaks, rattles, all that will probably end up happening to a C5 after some mileage? My 92 has a few, ill work them out eventually, but theres a few other things higher on the list.

I agree, the C4 is kinda tuff to get in and out of, but once your in, it is nice. We went to Williamsburg, VA from Baltimore, MD, thursday evening to saturday morning. It was a very nice trip in the car. Also kind of a test to see how she does on a longer trip. I was impressed, i was perfectly comfortable in the drivers seat. Cruise set, leaned back, climate control set to allow the perfect temp inside the cockpit. My new radio and speakers allowed a even more enjoyable trip lol.

This trip actually kinda inspiried the thought for this thread. I kept seeing C5's on the road. I started to think, what is the true difference between my car and that guys c5? If i did get next to him, would he just demolish my old LT1? I know he doesnt have that door sill like the c4, does it still give that cockpit type feel? That something that has always drawn me to Corvettes. Just different thoughts when seeing other Vettes, particularly C5's pass by. Then again maybe im wrong. Maybe mine is more comfortable, maybe he has more squeaks than me. Maybe that ls1 wouldnt just make an endless pull on mine. One thing i did get a chuckle out of...my Ford loving girlfriend seemed to actually enjoy the ride, as much as she trys not to show it haha.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

The 95s seats always bothered the wife. She just couldn't get comfortable. The C5 is definately easier to get in and out of. I find the C5 a better fit for what I use it for (mainly long-weekend trips). Having said that, I think my LT1 A4 would have beat my LS1 M6 in the quarter mile.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

My friend has a 99 coupe and I beat him all the time.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:40 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Well since you're new I will cut you some slack. But there are trolls constantly coming in here and starting these comparisons to stir up trouble. To be taken seriously you need to fill out your profile and show people who you are which in turns tells them who you are not. If you are a private person and don't want to share this info, maybe you shouldn't be posting on the internet at all.

I posted a a lengthy comparison of the two since I have had experience with both, but I deleted it when I decided I didn't want to share this with someone I didn't know was on the level or not.

Not being a butthead but that's how it works here. We love to talk about our cars but we don't like to spend time and effort discussing them when the OP is not interested in the cars.

As far as the differences, there are many. The LT1 is a great engine, the LSX series has proven to be even better. Very few issues with the actual LSX series of engines, although there are some weird issues with the C5 in general.

Those issues I contribute to build quality versus design quality. The C5 was also the first vette to be advertised as a vette parts only car that shared nothing with other cars. I don't know how true that actually is. But there is a huge downfall with that. Now as the C5 gets older it's becoming difficult to get some parts because they don't share with other cars. They have quit making some, so you have to rely on parts cars for a few parts. This will become more of an issue as they get even older. Something not as much of a problem with the C4.

The ride quality of the C5 is better. Contrary to what people say they do in fact ride like a vette. Way better going over rough things like RR tracks etc. On the highway I don't see much difference myself. Also contrary to what people say the interior is not that bad. It's hard to follow the best interior design of all time, IMO, with the C4, so there will be people who are less than thrilled with the interior of the C5.

Stock vs stock the LS1 will out perform any LT1. The LT4 is debatable. The major difference I see is not from a stop, but out on the open road. When you put the hammer down on the LS1, you know it and it responds well.

While some people may drag race their cars, the vette is not really a drag car. Although they make a good drag car. They are built for road courses and top speed, that's where the C5 is an improvement over the C4.

It all comes down to personal preference. I like the C4 owners better, but I like the FRC/Z06 better than any vette they have ever produced, while some people don't like the hardtop at all.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 10-10-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:45 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Oh yeah, you can go to the C5 section and also find threads that compare the C5 to the C6.

Boys will always be boys and talk up their car. And then there will always be people who play the living with the Jones' syndrome as well. Don't pay any attention to that and drive what you like. From the C1 to the C6 they are all great cars, and they are all different.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:03 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man lighten up discouraging people posting is terrible. I've only been on the forum for about 5 years and there is bound to be some overlap. I've never read anything exactly like the novelist. If we simply looked up topics all the time it would be an archive not a forum.

Last edited by H P Bushrod; 10-19-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 PM
apollo240
Racer

Originally Posted by kimmer
My friend has a 99 coupe and I beat him all the time.
Stock vs stock?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Two totally different cars hard to compare.
Go drive one of each and pick one.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 C4(92-96) vs. LS1 C5 (97-04)

Old 10-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 237 Likes on 127 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by radar502
Forumefinition A plubic meeting place for open discussion or A meeting or assembly for open discussion of subjects of public interest.. or A public meeting place for open discussion.. This is what it is this is what's being done... Some people can not fill out all the info as were do you live and on and on I have 4 yes 4 Xs .. Think about it.. New people new to Corvetts ask new to them stuff.. My Corvetts speck for themselfs and for me.. I have put pic and lot's info on the cars and all the work I have put in them.. That's all the info anybody needs..It's ABOUT THE CORVETTS NOT ABOUT WHO YOU ARE ARE WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW...It's a FORUM .. Maybe people who call other NOObs need there place to go and YA'LL can be one happy bunch of I 'll just asy I know your kind and I don't like you or your kind ...I given my first Corvette in 1965 my father had never been without one or two or three and over the years have run into people driveing new vetts thinking they are hot stuff.. It's about the Corvette not you...
First off, how long had you been drinking when you wrote this? I hate to play the role of the spelling or grammar ****, but holy cow this is hard to follow.

To the OP, yes a C5 is a better car, it really is that simple. Why not go to one of those Corvette Club meetings and drive some one's, I'm sure there will be plenty of C5 owners that would love to show you the difference. It is faster, more comfortable, better equipped, handles as well or in my opinion better, it is better built and just as easy to mod. Stock LS1 to a stock LT1, no comparison.

The answer will be the same next time you ask it as well.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:32 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

In every quantifiable way...

C5 > C4.

...just like it was the other eleventy billion times someone started this same thread.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:32 AM
1963SS
Drifting

the other eleventy billion times someone started this same thread
Now how many million times do I have to tell you not to exaggerate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 C4(92-96) vs. LS1 C5 (97-04)