C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum wheel restore.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 PM
boltnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aluminum wheel restore.

I am try to bring some slots back to life. One has a little more pitting than the rest. Is there a product that works on pitting ? Do,I just need to buff it more ? Help me avoid snake oil...
Old 09-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,136 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Don't know of any product that works on pitting other than elbow grease.
I just did a set of factory rims a month or so ago, spun them slowly on a manual lathe and used a die-grinder with a scotch-brite disk to blend out some light pitting where bubba installed lead weights.
Then went and buffed everything with flitz.
The same company that that makes flitz also sells an aluminum pre-cleaner that seems to be designed to remove the oxidization layer prior to buffing, must be a weak acid. Haven't tried it, looks/sounds like it might be handy, might just be weasel squeezings though.
Mooser

Originally Posted by boltnut
I am try to bring some slots back to life. One has a little more pitting than the rest. Is there a product that works on pitting ? Do,I just need to buff it more ? Help me avoid snake oil...
Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM
tnovot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Mooser about the elbow grease. If the pitting is not too deep, you might try wet sanding with 1000 and then 1500 and 2000 grit followed up by machine rubbing compound and then a good grade of polishing compound.
Terry
Old 09-26-2011, 08:56 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooser
Don't know of any product that works on pitting other than elbow grease.
I just did a set of factory rims a month or so ago, spun them slowly on a manual lathe and used a die-grinder with a scotch-brite disk to blend out some light pitting where bubba installed lead weights.
Then went and buffed everything with flitz.
The same company that that makes flitz also sells an aluminum pre-cleaner that seems to be designed to remove the oxidization layer prior to buffing, must be a weak acid. Haven't tried it, looks/sounds like it might be handy, might just be weasel squeezings though.
Mooser
as well! In fact on one set I did, there was curb rash on the outer edge so I started with a file before moving on to sandpaper and worked my way to some Semi-chrome to get a chrome like finish...

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 PM
boltnut
Drifting

Ok. So tHere is no substitite for plain old elbow grease"..?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,136 Likes on 2,069 Posts

You can usually throw cash at it

I've never come across a process that will remove pitting without washing away everything around it. Electro-polishing would be the closest and it's still just eating away all of the material in the pit and beside the pit, eventually it will blend everything together but it's not something I'd recommend for the average user, especially on aluminum.
There are usually a few company's around that re-surface wheels, normally about $100 a piece.
For shear entertainment, check utube for wheel polishing videos', there's some death defying diy polishing machines being built in bubbaville.
Mooser

Originally Posted by boltnut
Ok. So tHere is no substitite for plain old elbow grease"..?
Old 09-27-2011, 05:25 AM
FLA-C3
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
as well! In fact on one set I did, there was curb rash on the outer edge so I started with a file before moving on to sandpaper and worked my way to some Semi-chrome to get a chrome like finish...

Good luck... GUSTO
Yep, pretty much what I had to do with the wheels on my 73....

-Filed the curb rash
-Used 120 grit up to 1000 sandpaper everywhere
-Then hit them with a small buffing wheels on my die grinder using cutting and then polishing compounds.
-Masked off the slots and painted semi-flat

Even with all that, I couldn't get every single little pit out of the surface...the wheels were just in really bad shape. But unless you bend down and look very closely, you can't see them.

Cost very little to do. Took a while, but they came out ok...pretty satisfying in the end.

Before:

After:
Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Eagle1 mag cleaner. The one that has the warning Not For Use With Clearcoats. I stopped in a truck stop chrome shop and they had some good stuff for aluminum! Can't remember the name but tell them what your doing and they'll steer you in the right direction
Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM
75+78 Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mother's aluminum polish with a powerball. My wheels were way worse than that and mine came out like mirrors.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:23 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

White Diamond - bought it at Advance Auto Parts in the care care section. Good stuff to clean off oxidation. Mine sat for seven years under a shed exposed to the weather. The wheels were almost white with oxidation. This stuff cleaned them up nicely.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
boltnut
Drifting

Nice ! I hope mine will look that good....

Originally Posted by FLA-C3
Yep, pretty much what I had to do with the wheels on my 73....

-Filed the curb rash
-Used 120 grit up to 1000 sandpaper everywhere
-Then hit them with a small buffing wheels on my die grinder using cutting and then polishing compounds.
-Masked off the slots and painted semi-flat

Even with all that, I couldn't get every single little pit out of the surface...the wheels were just in really bad shape. But unless you bend down and look very closely, you can't see them.

Cost very little to do. Took a while, but they came out ok...pretty satisfying in the end.

Before:

After:
Old 09-27-2011, 05:39 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is a great write up and results:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-makeover.html

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum wheel restore.

Quick Reply: Aluminum wheel restore.