C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun Visor removal/replacement

Old 09-21-2011, 11:04 AM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sun Visor removal/replacement

Can any of you guys direct me to link for the sun visor removal and replacement? I know its here somewhere, I just cant find it.

Thanks!!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:10 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Tips section has it all!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Sunshade Replacement
Removal Procedure
Name:  sunviser.gif
Views: 9211
Size:  7.9 KB
1.Tilt the sunshade down toward the windshield.
2.Insert a flat head screwdriver blade into the slot in the sunshade inner bezel.
3.Using the screwdriver against the elbow of the sunshade arm for leverage pull down on the sunshade arm while rotating the sunshade outboard until the sunshade stops. (the first tab disengages).
4.Push up on the sunshade and continue rotating the sunshade outboard until the sunshade with the inner bezel disengages from the mounting bezel.
Name:  sunvisor2.gif
Views: 9382
Size:  6.6 KB
5.Disconnect the electrical connector.
6.Remove the sunshade.
7.Disassemble as necessary.
If removing the mounting bezel, pull the bezel from the garnish molding with your fingers.
If replacing the inner bezel, remove the bezel from the sunshade shaft and press the new bezel onto the shaft.

Installation Procedure
Name:  sunvisor2.gif
Views: 9382
Size:  6.6 KB
1.Route the harness through the mounting bezel.
2.Insert the mounting bezel into the garnish molding engaging the snap fingers.
3.Connect the harness to the sunshade electrical connector.
4.Push the connector up through the bezel and through the hole in the garnish molding.
5.Position the sunshade approximately midway between the windshield and the side of the vehicle.
6.Insert the rod with inner bezel firmly attached fully into the mounting bezel.
7.Rotate the sunshade toward the centerline of the vehicle until the sunshade locks in place.
Attached Images  
The following 4 users liked this post by 87SAM:
DWC4 (09-22-2022), LAGary (04-23-2018), ShagVette (08-10-2023), WayneWm (07-10-2018)
Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys, I found them....
Old 09-18-2016, 06:00 PM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Any threads on how to remove & replace the mirror on the visor? The bottom of the mirror doesn't seem to want to disengage
Old 04-19-2017, 01:37 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette505
Any threads on how to remove & replace the mirror on the visor? The bottom of the mirror doesn't seem to want to disengage
Resurrecting an old thread.........noticed the right side bulb on the right side visors mirror was burnt out...can just the mirror portion be removed
or does the whole damn thing have to come down to be taken apart ?
Old 04-19-2017, 06:20 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Just gently pry out the plastic lens and you can get to the bulb.
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:01 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by AE Guy
Just gently pry out the plastic lens and you can get to the bulb.
Thank you Sir.........That was easy
Old 05-25-2017, 06:01 PM
km60sb@yahoo.com
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Education

Originally Posted by 87SAM
Sunshade Replacement
Removal Procedure

1.Tilt the sunshade down toward the windshield.
2.Insert a flat head screwdriver blade into the slot in the sunshade inner bezel.
3.Using the screwdriver against the elbow of the sunshade arm for leverage pull down on the sunshade arm while rotating the sunshade outboard until the sunshade stops. (the first tab disengages).
4.Push up on the sunshade and continue rotating the sunshade outboard until the sunshade with the inner bezel disengages from the mounting bezel.

5.Disconnect the electrical connector.
6.Remove the sunshade.
7.Disassemble as necessary.
If removing the mounting bezel, pull the bezel from the garnish molding with your fingers.
If replacing the inner bezel, remove the bezel from the sunshade shaft and press the new bezel onto the shaft.

Installation Procedure

1.Route the harness through the mounting bezel.
2.Insert the mounting bezel into the garnish molding engaging the snap fingers.
3.Connect the harness to the sunshade electrical connector.
4.Push the connector up through the bezel and through the hole in the garnish molding.
5.Position the sunshade approximately midway between the windshield and the side of the vehicle.
6.Insert the rod with inner bezel firmly attached fully into the mounting bezel.
7.Rotate the sunshade toward the centerline of the vehicle until the sunshade locks in place.
Hi. I'm writing to say I learned a lot today. Finding this thread took me right into daylight.
Searching for 02 C5 sun visor removal replacement assistance I found an excellent U tube video on removal. This thread is one for the books like most I've used.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:08 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by km60sb@yahoo.com
...I found an excellent U tube video on removal...
Could you please post the link?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:39 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

ShagVette (08-10-2023)
Old 06-30-2017, 01:37 PM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey gang. I deleted the sun visors on my Trans Am and there were metal/billetdelete pieces that you could buy and screw into place so that there wasnt a big hole in your headliner. Is there anything like that for C5s? I want to take off my visors but I dont want big holes in the corners where they used to be.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:11 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sor-bezel.html
Old 07-06-2017, 01:14 AM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you sir!
Old 08-24-2018, 11:43 PM
steputt
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend replacing the inner bezel on the new sunvisor with the old one. It's easy to do with a pair of channelocks. Put one jaw on the tubing
(be careful of the wires) and the other jaw under the bezel, then squeeze. The bezel will pop loose. The channelocks can also be used to pop the
old bezel onto the new visor arm.

The reason for my recommondation is this... I could not get the visors to lock into place. They hung loose or fell back out. So I took a close
look at what was going on. The problem is that the inner bezels are slightly different from the originals, enough to make them useless. The inner
bezel diameter is larger than the indent where it's supposed to fit in the outer bezel. After I sanded the diameter to fit, it still would not
lock into place.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:57 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 658 Likes on 527 Posts

Had the same results with my Ecklers visors. OEM fit, aftermarket don't.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:26 PM
steputt
3rd Gear

Mine also came from Ecklers. Some people posting didn't seem to have problems. I don't know if there's more than one manufacturer or their quality varies. I'm very satisfied with mine now that they are installed. But it took me several days to figure out how to solve the installation problem; It would be better if the manufacturer didn't include the inner bezel and explained in the instructions how to install the old bezel on the new visor. I could have had the job done in 5 minutes.

Get notified of new replies

To Sun Visor removal/replacement

Old 09-26-2018, 08:23 AM
LAGary
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steputt
I recommend replacing the inner bezel on the new sunvisor with the old one. It's easy to do with a pair of channelocks. Put one jaw on the tubing
(be careful of the wires) and the other jaw under the bezel, then squeeze. The bezel will pop loose. The channelocks can also be used to pop the
old bezel onto the new visor arm.

The reason for my recommondation is this... I could not get the visors to lock into place. They hung loose or fell back out. So I took a close
look at what was going on. The problem is that the inner bezels are slightly different from the originals, enough to make them useless. The inner
bezel diameter is larger than the indent where it's supposed to fit in the outer bezel. After I sanded the diameter to fit, it still would not
lock into place.
I wish I read this earlier. I got the Eckler's replacement, seemed to fit okay so I tossed the old LH Visor and now it's really loose. Does anyone know an aftermarket that actually works? Thanks!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:58 AM
km60sb@yahoo.com
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sun visors

Originally Posted by LAGary
I wish I read this earlier. I got the Eckler's replacement, seemed to fit okay so I tossed the old LH Visor and now it's really loose. Does anyone know an aftermarket that actually works? Thanks!
hi there. Sun visors for my 02 C5 Vert? I bought a set after researching for days. I only know I paid $159.00 and delivered they looked mismatched and cheaply sown turns out they were horrible un threading in the wind, then when a mirror fell out of the drivers side I took them out.
The second set I bought in March of 2018 were from buyavette_inc on eBay for $179.00. I installed them in March 2018 and the Black color matches the Black interior like factory. The quality of these are like a brand new GM product. The safety sticker looks lithographed or printed in the material somehow un-removable and permanent. These were delivered ready to install with new circular turn snap locks requiring no additional parts. These were E-Z out of the box installation and matched the car like OEM.
Check these sun visors out and do your research. Call buyavette_inc and ask about the install lock rings. I know buyavette_inc visors were ready to install and play. I’ve owned my 02 C5 Vert 11 years. My only mistake was not joining Corvette Forum sooner. The projects I’ve done and the lessons I’ve learned from members here have saved me $$$$$$ and time.
Thanks all members! Mule.

CorvetteBrent (10-02-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:42 AM
steputt
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by LAGary
Sorry to hear you tossed the original. At one point I figured I was going to have to screw them on, you might consider doing that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sun Visor removal/replacement