C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Battery saver active"

Old 09-19-2011, 12:31 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default "Battery saver active"

I needed to just roll my car out of the garage today to do some cleanup, so I did the usual thing of holding down the accessory position on the start button for ten seconds until the car's systems turned on. I then pushed the car out onto the driveway and proceeded to do what I needed to do.

Our football team was getting spanked playing the Steelers, so I decided to go in and see how terrible it really was. I came back out a few hours later to go run some errands, and when I got in the car, all the systems were still on. The DIC had a message that said "battery saver active", which I had never heard of and didn't remember reading in the manual, but it is there and says:

BATTERY SAVER ACTIVE
This message displays when the
vehicle has detected that the battery
voltage is dropping beyond a
reasonable point. The battery saver
system starts reducing certain
features of the vehicle that you may
be able to notice. At the point that
features are disabled, this message
is displayed. It means that the
vehicle is trying to save the charge
in the battery. Turn off unnecessary
accessories to allow the battery to
recharge.

Considering all of the DBS threads, I wonder if this is something new for 2011? Anyhow, my car started up normally and ran fine. Cool feature, and definitely saved me from a dead battery today.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Delbert
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a section in the owner's manual describing this feature which activates when the battery falls to a pre set voltage level.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Nope, nothing new. My 2005 has it as do all C6 Corvettes. I can make it come up after about 20 minutes with the car in ignition on/engine off mode.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The purpose of this system is to save the battery and keep you moving for as long as possible when the alternator is not keeping up with the electrical drain on the system. Since the engine was not running, the alternator was putting out nothing...obviously not keeping up with the load. This will only happen when the ignition is on since the expectation is that with the ignition on, the engine will be running.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:58 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Nope, nothing new. My 2005 has it as do all C6 Corvettes. I can make it come up after about 20 minutes with the car in ignition on/engine off mode.
Actually I think it is something new...Its called battery protection package and it cost a whopping 100 bucks as an option...It wasn't on my 07 but it is on my 11.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:41 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Actually I think it is something new...Its called battery protection package and it cost a whopping 100 bucks as an option...It wasn't on my 07 but it is on my 11.
No, actually it isn't.

The battery protection package for 2011 is a CTEK battery tender rebranded with the Corvette logo available from dealers as a stand alone option. This has nothing to do with the Battery Saver Active message as noted above on the DIC.

Here is the battery saver in action on my 2005 and as referenced in the owners manual:

Here is the Battery Protection Package:

Old 09-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Just a side note, I use the ten second Acessory push (systems on but engine not running) as little as possible- it turns on the fuel pump, etc and drains the battery more quickly than Accessory. In fact, if I'm just programming nav destinations or listening to the music; I close the car door and turn off Accessory. That lets the radio/nav run for 10 minutes.

Amazing fact- on our 2009 A6, just using Accessory (and stepping on the brake pedal) will allow the transmission selector to move out of Park, so the car can be pushed somewhere.
I'd like to brag that I figured that out by myself, but someone else posted it here. :o
Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Just a side note, I use the ten second Acessory push (systems on but engine not running) as little as possible- it turns on the fuel pump, etc and drains the battery more quickly than Accessory. In fact, if I'm just programming nav destinations or listening to the music; I close the car door and turn off Accessory. That lets the radio/nav run for 10 minutes.

Amazing fact- on our 2009 A6, just using Accessory (and stepping on the brake pedal) will allow the transmission selector to move out of Park, so the car can be pushed somewhere.
I'd like to brag that I figured that out by myself, but someone else posted it here. :o
The 10 second push is ignition on/engine off mode. It allows the car to do anything it can do with the engine on, just with the engine off.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:05 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
I needed to just roll my car out of the garage today to do some cleanup, so I did the usual thing of holding down the accessory position on the start button for ten seconds until the car's systems turned on. I then pushed the car out onto the driveway and proceeded to do what I needed to do.

Our football team was getting spanked playing the Steelers, so I decided to go in and see how terrible it really was. I came back out a few hours later to go run some errands, and when I got in the car, all the systems were still on. The DIC had a message that said "battery saver active", which I had never heard of and didn't remember reading in the manual, but it is there and says:

BATTERY SAVER ACTIVE
This message displays when the
vehicle has detected that the battery
voltage is dropping beyond a
reasonable point. The battery saver
system starts reducing certain
features of the vehicle that you may
be able to notice. At the point that
features are disabled, this message
is displayed. It means that the
vehicle is trying to save the charge
in the battery. Turn off unnecessary
accessories to allow the battery to
recharge.

Considering all of the DBS threads, I wonder if this is something new for 2011? Anyhow, my car started up normally and ran fine. Cool feature, and definitely saved me from a dead battery today.
Did you have it in run or acc. mode.
z51vett
Old 09-19-2011, 07:56 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

No, actually it isn't.

The battery protection package for 2011 is a CTEK battery tender rebranded with the Corvette logo available from dealers as a stand alone option. This has nothing to do with the Battery Saver Active message as noted above on the DIC.

Here is the battery saver in action on my 2005 and as referenced in the owners manual:

Here is the Battery Protection Package:

That was supposed to be in my car?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:43 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

That was supposed to be in my car?
The "Battery saver" is in all Corvette C6's and has been since 2005. If you paid $100.00 for the Battery protection package RPO ERI and it is on your RPO decal in the glovebox then yes, it was supposed to be in your car.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:07 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

The "Battery saver" is in all Corvette C6's and has been since 2005. If you paid $100.00 for the Battery protection package RPO ERI and it is on your RPO decal in the glovebox then yes, it was supposed to be in your car.
Ha it is on the sticker, I'll check the glove box but it isn't in the car...I got it in a dealer to dealer trade on the 6th of September...I guess I'll get them tpo order me one...

thanks..
Old 09-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

The 10 second push is ignition on/engine off mode. It allows the car to do anything it can do with the engine on, just with the engine off.

Pushing top of button for 10 seconds turns on the ignition and pushing the bottom of the button puts the car in accessory mode. In accessory mode the car will shut down after 15 minutes After that time period, if you are listening to the radio in accessory mode you have to push accessory again to get the radio back on.

Bill
Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Originally Posted by z51vett
Did you have it in run or acc. mode.
z51vett
Had it in what Talon90 calls ignition on/engine off mode (and thanks for the info that it's been in every C6). It was sitting there with probably the fan on the second speed, radio on, but headlights and parking lights off. I was inside for probably a couple of hours.

Hmm, I left the doors unlocked too. Would it have been possible to start the car from that mode without a fob in range? Mines is an MX0 so it couldn't have been compression started.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:40 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Ha it is on the sticker, I'll check the glove box but it isn't in the car...I got it in a dealer to dealer trade on the 6th of September...I guess I'll get them tpo order me one...

thanks..
Make sure you also check the storage compartments in the rear as well. If you didn't get it, you should.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice to know information for the C6, I already bought the conventional C-Tek charger for my old 2000.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:40 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Forgot to ask my original follow-up question, which is why this feature doesn't seem to prevent DBS? Is it only because it functions when the ignition is in the "on" position?

Get notified of new replies

To "Battery saver active"

Old 09-21-2011, 03:19 AM
rchbn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to ask my original follow-up question, which is why this feature doesn't seem to prevent DBS? Is it only because it functions when the ignition is in the "on" position?

No it functions when your driving to:

2006 manual page 3-61:

SERVICE CHARGING SYSTEM: Press the
RESET button to acknowledge that you have read
the message and to remove it from the display.
The message will reappear every 10 minutes until this
condition changes. You will hear multiple chimes
when this message is displayed.
If this message comes on while you are driving, you
may have a problem with the electrical charging system.
It could indicate that you have a loose or broken drive
belt or another electrical problem. Have it checked
right away by your GM dealer. Driving while this warning
message is on could drain your battery.
If you must drive a short distance with the message on,
be certain to turn off your accessories, such as the
radio and air conditioner.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:20 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Correct. This system is in place to allow the car to continue "operation" when elements of the charging system aren't keeping up with demand (see cclive's post above). The reason we see it when the car is in diagnostic mode (ignition on/engine off) is because the system is returning a charge to the battery. The car just thinks it's on.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:07 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
...Amazing fact- on our 2009 A6, just using Accessory (and stepping on the brake pedal) will allow the transmission selector to move out of Park, so the car can be pushed somewhere...
This is news to me. So, I just now tried it.

Works exactly like you said.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
...Pushing top of button for 10 seconds turns on the ignition and pushing the bottom of the button puts the car in accessory mode. In accessory mode the car will shut down after 15 minutes After that time period, if you are listening to the radio in accessory mode you have to push accessory again to get the radio back on.

Bill
Just now tried this for the 1st time on my 09. Doesn't work exactly like you said...

When I push & hold the top of the ignition switch, the engine starts immediately.

When I push & hold the bottom of the ignition switch, after about 10 seconds it goes into "ignition" mode... the engine does not start, but it looks like everything is accessible as if the engine were running.

Good thread. I've had my C6 for 3 years and I'm still learning new things.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Battery saver active"