Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Lords of the Ring....ZR1/Z06 Nurburgring interview

Old 09-14-2011, 08:28 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Default Lords of the Ring....ZR1/Z06 Nurburgring interview

In the November issue of Vette magazine, there's an exclusive interview with Tadge Juechter, Jim Mero, and David Caldwell where they talk about the recent Nurburgring runs by the ZR1 and Z06, and the how's and why's of the testing they do there.

An interesting read, and has answers to several of the ongoing questions regarding driver selection, preperation and scheduling, and what's involved in running the Nurburgring.

VetteWeb.com apparently doesn't have this current issue on line yet (it's listed under Lifestyle in the paper version).

Worth reading if you have interest in these "record" runs.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

"Former" record runs. Beaten by the Lexus LFA and earlier this week the Viper ACR. But probably a good read just the same.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
"Former" record runs. Beaten by the Lexus LFA and earlier this week the Viper ACR. But probably a good read just the same.
Didn't know about this one, linky?...
Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ACR just ran a 7.12.13

ACRX ran a 7.03

So much for the LFA

Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
ACR just ran a 7.12.13

ACRX ran a 7.03

So much for the LFA

By laughing at the LFA, you just laughed at the ZR1 which was well behind the LFA..
Old 09-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Andrew M
Instructor

Yes lets make this a personal mater of him somehow insulting the corvette forum.

Why cant you just say damn, thats fast.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

By laughing at the LFA, you just laughed at the ZR1 which was well behind the LFA..
Nope just don't like the LFA.

ZRI in White
Old 09-14-2011, 09:35 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

The LFA and Viper times are simply amazing.
The interview, however, does enlighten the reader on running Corvettes at the 'Ring.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:06 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Read the article the other night. Pretty good read.

Hat's off to the LFA and the snake. Potent runs indeed.

Still, I think I'll keep my ZR. Kinda fond of it.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Read the article the other night. Pretty good read.

Hat's off to the LFA and the snake. Potent runs indeed.

Still, I think I'll keep my ZR. Kinda fond of it.
I don't care how fast the viper ACR is (and it is a rocket), there will never be a Viper parked in my garage. Too many better choices in my opinion.
Now if I had money to burn, I would have an LFA, would look great next to my Reventon.

Last edited by Racer; 09-14-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: speeling :)~
Old 09-14-2011, 11:03 PM
timvette7
Instructor

I'm sorry but I am just not buying it. I am not trying to sound arrogant here and I am not a road racer but the corvette ZR1 should be faster than these two cars given everything equal. First, the viper are we sure that these vipers are stock. I mean the viper has less horsepower and more weight than the ZR. The ZR has better and bigger brakes than both the cars. I know the ACR viper has better downforce because of that stupid looking wing and I can believe the ACR beating the ZR1 before I believe the LFA beat it. I mean really, the LFA weighs about 3500 lbs and has 552 hp and 354 lb ft. of torque. The lbs per horspower isn't even close. Its coeifficent of drag is 0.30 and has Bridgestone potenza with 15.4" front CC brakes. I know their are other varibles but the LFA should never be able the outrun the ZR on any track. I do believe also that on other tracks it hasn't gotten any great times over the ZR. I don't know their might be something fishy with that LFA ring run.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by timvette7
I'm sorry but I am just not buying it. I am not trying to sound arrogant here and I am not a road racer but the corvette ZR1 should be faster than these two cars given everything equal. First, the viper are we sure that these vipers are stock. I mean the viper has less horsepower and more weight than the ZR. The ZR has better and bigger brakes than both the cars. I know the ACR viper has better downforce because of that stupid looking wing and I can believe the ACR beating the ZR1 before I believe the LFA beat it. I mean really, the LFA weighs about 3500 lbs and has 552 hp and 354 lb ft. of torque. The lbs per horspower isn't even close. Its coeifficent of drag is 0.30 and has Bridgestone potenza with 15.4" front CC brakes. I know their are other varibles but the LFA should never be able the outrun the ZR on any track. I do believe also that on other tracks it hasn't gotten any great times over the ZR. I don't know their might be something fishy with that LFA ring run.
Maybe......
Old 09-14-2011, 11:28 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by timvette7
Honestly, it's not too hard to believe. The lack of serious aero treatments alone can explain a lot of it. Keep in mind, the ACR and the LFA Nurburgring Edition are special edition track versions of their respective models...they are tuned to be track monsters. THe only thing comparable to this on GM's side would be a Katech or Callaway track car. If GM ever decided to build the Z06X for a select market, that might be able to compete as well.

Read the article when you get a chance.....it explains GM's position on running the 'Ring, and what they are trying to accomplish with the standard production car.

I say hat's off to the Viper team, and what they accomplished.
Competition is a good thing.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Honestly, it's not too hard to believe. The lack of serious aero treatments alone can explain a lot of it. Keep in mind, the ACR and the LFA Nurburgring Edition are special edition track versions of their respective models...they are tuned to be track monsters. THe only thing comparable to this on GM's side would be a Katech or Callaway track car. If GM ever decided to build the Z06X for a select market, that might be able to compete as well.

Read the article when you get a chance.....it explains GM's position on running the 'Ring, and what they are trying to accomplish with the standard production car.

I say hat's off to the Viper team, and what they accomplished.
Competition is a good thing.
Aero treatments the coefficent of drag for the LFA is 0.30. That isn't that great. I just think that its got to take more than aero treatments to make up for the lack of horspower and torque the vette has over the LFA and not to mention those sport cup tires. If you watch a recent youtube video posted of the 2012 ZR1 vs the LFA on the nurburgring the ZR stays neck and neck with the LFA and even pulls at times until 4 minutes into the run then the LFA starts to leave the vette. It just don't make sense to me. As far as nurburgring edition LFA and viper ACR, what makes them those editions. I mean what is the difference in a nurburgring edition and a non nurburgring edition ( Brakes, horspower, gearing, aero etc.) I am not trying to be a smartbutt, just trying to understand. The vette should be faster on paper.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

LFA Ring Edition
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/29/o...re-specs-limi/

Interesting stuff here. Never knew anything about this until this thread.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:55 AM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care how fast the viper ACR is (and it is a rocket), there will never be a Viper parked in my garage. Too many better choices in my opinion.
Now if I had money to burn, I would have an LFA, would look great next to my Reventon.
I have no problem with that... Vipers aren't for everyone.

I just want to thank GM for taking the ZR1 back to the Ring and breaking the ACR's previous record. I always wanted to see what a Gen 4 ACR was capable of running if it was taken back to the Ring. I don't believe this new record run would have ever happened if GM didn't keep the competition going. Again, when manufacturers compete... the consumers win!

All the bandwagon LFA fans that popped up during the short time it had the record got very annoying. But I'm sure Lexus leadership must be pissed because the Nurburging Edition LFA isn't even on sale yet and the marketing is all about Nurburgring superiority. Hope they didn't already ship the LFA out of Germany because looks like they need to turn back around and get back to work -- Team SRT just set the bar really high (using an "old" 2010 model).

Last edited by 4-Sho; 09-15-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 4-Sho
.......... and Team SRT just set the bar REALLY LOW (using an "old" 2010 model).
There is always going to be a slight bit of "doubt" about what mods or how stock a "race" teams car is........I have personally never met a race team that could keep a car stock.

Get notified of new replies

To Lords of the Ring....ZR1/Z06 Nurburgring interview

Old 09-15-2011, 02:21 AM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

There is always going to be a slight bit of "doubt" about what mods or how stock a "race" teams car is........I have personally never met a race team that could keep a car stock.
Edit: The link at Jalopnik provides a little more information. The ACRs were provided brand new off the showroom from Tomball Dodge.

http://jalopnik.com/5840489/dodge-vi...nd-some-change

Dodge Viper ACR sets new Nürburgring lap time of 7:12…and some change
Chrysler's SRT team went to the Nürburgring today with one mission — to kick the ever-living crap out of the Lexus LFA and the Corvette ZR1. They succeeded. The 2010 Dodge Viper ACR set a new major automaker production car (excluding artisanal automakers like Gumpert and Radical) record run of the Nordschleife in just 7:12 and change.

And we've got an exclusive set of pictures of the record run below.
In 2008 the Dodge Viper ACR went to the Ring and established a major automaker production car one lap record time of 7:22.1 on the Nürburgring, a record that stood until 2011. This summer the Corvette ZR1 came to the Ring with new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires and beat the Viper record, laying down a blazingly fast 7:19.6. Even more recently, the $400,000 special Nürburgring Edition Lexus LF-A set down a blazingly faster time of 7:14.6.

With no 2011 model year Vipers being built, SRT turned to Tomball Dodge who supplied two brand-new 2010 Dodge Viper ACR's off of their showroom floor. Mintgen Motorsport, a well-known automotive shop based just a few miles from ze Nürburgring helped provide local logistics and garage support.

Right now we only have the word of SRT. There's no video of the record 'ring run yet. Nor do we know exactly what that "change" is — so we'll have to wait until the results are made official. We'll have the specifics as soon as we get them in our grubby li'l hands.

Oh, and also, the SRT folks brought along a Dodge Viper ACR-X, which tore up the track with a stunning 7:03..and change. Those coy bastards.

Last edited by 4-Sho; 09-15-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 4-Sho
I have no problem with that... Vipers aren't for everyone.

I just want to thank GM for taking the ZR1 back to the Ring and breaking the ACR's previous record. I always wanted to see what a Gen 4 ACR was capable of running if it was taken back to the Ring. I don't believe this new record run would have ever happened if GM didn't keep the competition going. Again, when manufacturers compete... the consumers win!

All the bandwagon LFA fans that popped up during the short time it had the record got very annoying. But I'm sure Lexus leadership must be pissed because the Nurburging Edition LFA isn't even on sale yet and the marketing is all about Nurburgring superiority. Hope they didn't already ship the LFA out of Germany because looks like they need to turn back around and get back to work and Team SRT just set the bar REALLY LOW (using an "old" 2010 model).

The LFA with two hands on the steering wheel at all times already has a tremendous advantage at every shift point over a car with a manual. Yet it was still beaten by a two year old viper (at less than 25% of the cost of the LFA) that has to be driven one handed every time it is shifted, shows that a tough car with best driver (and most testro) can still beat the best that the technerds can come up with.

Kudos to the Viper Exchange for an excellent performance, and for bringing the trophy back home.

This will help the development of the C7 a lot !

Old 09-15-2011, 06:45 AM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shurshot

The LFA with two hands on the steering wheel at all times already has a tremendous advantage at every shift point over a car with a manual. Yet it was still beaten by a two year old viper (at less than 25% of the cost of the LFA) that has to be driven one handed every time it is shifted, shows that a tough car with best driver (and most testro) can still beat the best that the technerds can come up with.

Kudos to the Viper Exchange for an excellent performance, and for bringing the trophy back home.

This will help the development of the C7 a lot !

Can't wait to see the C7 and Gen 5 Viper..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Lords of the Ring....ZR1/Z06 Nurburgring interview