C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...Brand new Deka ETX18L low charge

Old 09-04-2011, 04:16 AM
cell6ida
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...Brand new Deka ETX18L low charge

I just installed a brand new DEKA EXT-18L. It cranked up right away, then I drove the Vette around for 30 minutes, shut the car off at a store, the came out of the store 5 minutes later and restarted the Vette.

When I restarted the Vette, the volt meter went down to 11, and my radar detector shut off. The speedometer lights started pulsing, but eventually it went to 14 on the voltmeter….Until I came to a red light ….then it started creeping down towards 13, 12, and would probably have crept to 11 again if I didn’t get a green traffic light when I did.

I secured the battery cables with the Odyssey SAE terminals ODY-3217-0006.

I hope I didn’t waste $100 on this battery. This brand new DEKA is acting like my last battery did before it went bad.

The one I just replaced with the DEKA is still good, but I wanted to save some weight. I might be putting it back in since it works fine, and the lightweight battery is acting.... like a lightweight.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2011, 08:20 AM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

I'd say lightweight. CCAs are low so the question is how well can a battery intended for individual watercraft and motor bikes power a big V8. I think you may have answered the question. Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:40 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure what the problem is. Mine is having no issues at all and it stayed at idle for about 8 minutes at a bank drive-through lane.

I'd make sure that your radar detector doesn't cause a constant drain while your car is off.

Many people run this type of lightweight battery in daily drivers for years without issue, so it isn't the type of battery that is the problem itself, but it certainly isn't a battery that should be running a car with various aftermarket electronics.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Check the cables.
Make sure battery is mounted securely.

Test battery at Pep Boys etc.
Check alternator - fuse and output.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure the SAE terminals are torqued down VERY well or they'll come loose when your positioning the battery on it's side. I retorqued mine 3 times before I was happy with it.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:50 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Not sure what the problem is. Mine is having no issues at all and it stayed at idle for about 8 minutes at a bank drive-through lane.

I'd make sure that your radar detector doesn't cause a constant drain while your car is off.

Many people run this type of lightweight battery in daily drivers for years without issue, so it isn't the type of battery that is the problem itself, but it certainly isn't a battery that should be running a car with various aftermarket electronics.
If the radar detector is plugged in and 'hot' for any type of extended period (though I wouldn't think that a mere 5 minutes could cause it, especially on a brand new battery) the entire time that the car is off it could start to eat into a smaller/lighter battery's power supply. And yes, the cheaper (ie: non lithium) lightweight batteries and aftermarket amps/subwoofers/lighting generally do not get along well.
It can also be a 'combination' of things as well. Perhaps the radar detector was plugged in and 'on' and you'd left a door or hatch open for a period. Or you were listening to the radio in accessory mode for 15 minutes then went on a short ride (I've seen multiple short trips eat up a smaller battery that had sat for a few days) that didn't give the alternator enough time to recharge the battery. Or it just wasn't shipped fully charged as they're supposed to be (not likely that).
These cars have A LOT of electronics and computers in them and some of those features have 'memory' systems that can and will cause a constant drain on the battery over time.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:11 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i have left my doors open just to sweep the car out, and the battery wouldnt start it again
Old 09-04-2011, 03:58 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

GM spent $$$$$$ trying to get the correct combination of weight vs cranking power when they selected the battery size in your Corvette. Look at what they spent on reducing the weight of a Z06 vs a base coupe. After all that engineering expense, and the much greater expense of using an aluminum frame, magnesium engine cradle and roof frame and carbon fiber floorboards, front fenders and front wheel housings, they put in a heavy 600 CCA lead acid battery instead of a 340 CCA lightweight battery intended for motorcycles and snowmobiles, in the lightweight Z06.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-04-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:58 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoesC5
GM spent $$$$$$ trying to get the correct combination of weight vs cranking power when they selected the battery size in your Corvette. Look at what they spent on reducing the weight of a Z06 vs a base coupe. After all that engineering expense, and the much greater expense of using an aluminum frame, magnesium engine cradle and roof frame and carbon fiber floorboards, front fenders and front wheel housings, they put in a heavy 600 CCA lead acid battery instead of a 340 CCA lightweight battery intended for motorcycles and snowmobiles, in the lightweight Z06.
Good point.
But as with most (all?) aftermarket performance modifications we do tend to make the necessary sacrifices for the sake of even more speed (as minute of a gain as it might be) and giving up some of that 'stock battery' reliability is worth the downsides for some.

That being said, my small battery frustrated the crap out of me recently so I put my original/full size one back in and it's been such a total pleasure. The car just feels/sounds like it starts better/easier with the big one in, even when the lighter one was fresh/fully charged.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:54 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have the same battery. Mine is 3+ years old and I have no issues at all. It's possible you got a bad battery, but not likely. Since your last battery showed the same symptoms before it died, I'd verify your charging system is working properly.

San
Old 09-04-2011, 07:13 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oldmansan
Since your last battery showed the same symptoms before it died, I'd verify your charging system is working properly.
Yes I was going to mention that as well, it could actually be a weak alternator or even a low idle issue possibly?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:21 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Good point.
That being said, my small battery frustrated the crap out of me recently so I put my original/full size one back in and it's been such a total pleasure. The car just feels/sounds like it starts better/easier with the big one in, even when the lighter one was fresh/fully charged.
I went in the other direction.. (Optima Yellow Top) heavier, BUT.. I run my fan for 10 min after each run, (with the motor off) and have NO worries about starting....

As for the extra weight if I was going to dial 12.65 with the OEM battery, now I dial 12.66 (Problem solved)
Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 AM
cell6ida
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify......The battery I just replaced was working fine....I only changed it out for the DEKA, to save some weight.

The one that I had a year ago or so went bad as many CORVETTE batteries do.......and the DEKA is acting like the one that went bad, not the one that was just in the Corvette.

I'm probably going to switch back to the good battery that I just took out.

Anybody want to buy a nearly new DEKA?

Also my radar detector is hard wired to turn off when the ignition turns off, and turn on when the engine starts.

Last edited by cell6ida; 09-05-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:09 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by cell6ida
Anybody want to buy a nearly new DEKA?
I would but mine is still going strong.

Seriously, have you had the battery tested to determine that it is indeed the problem? The Deka has worked for plenty of forum members here.

San
Old 09-05-2011, 01:45 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jpee
I went in the other direction.. (Optima Yellow Top) heavier, BUT.. I run my fan for 10 min after each run, (with the motor off) and have NO worries about starting....

As for the extra weight if I was going to dial 12.65 with the OEM battery, now I dial 12.66 (Problem solved)
Yeah in a case like that where consistency is key, you're gaining more from having that extra battery 'reserve' to run the fans while the car is off than you would from simply saving 20-25 pounds.

Originally Posted by oldmansan
Seriously, have you had the battery tested to determine that it is indeed the problem? The Deka has worked for plenty of forum members here.
True, it's very rare to see their batteries go bad when they're brand new as they're almost always shipped fully charged/tested and they're also very well made.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Have you charged the battery? Many new batteries need charging before using. They can sit on a shelf for months before being sold. I always put a charger on a new battery before installing it.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i have used the braille B14115 for 4 years its only 11.5 lbs, it could go 3 weeks in the garage and still start. then it went to 2 weeks, then a week, it would always start the car fine, but if you leave the radio on, door open, or even start in the garage pull out shut off to go in the house come out and it might not start. if you have the radio on and the headlights and your siting at a stop sign with the brake lights on, you will see the amp gauge go down further and further, as there is not enough reserve, i also have the under drive pulley, so you might have a bad battery, whats your idle rpm?

Get notified of new replies

To Help...Brand new Deka ETX18L low charge

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help...Brand new Deka ETX18L low charge