C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I replace electronic shocks with after market shocks?

Old 09-02-2011, 02:25 PM
arfrieman
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I replace electronic shocks with after market shocks?

I have a 2005 C6 with 80K miles and bad shocks. Can I replace the grossly expensive electronically controlled shocks with aftermarket shocks? I don't care about the 'Cruise/Sport' switch which never seemed to make a difference anyway, but I don't want to screw up the suspension.

Arnie
Old 09-02-2011, 02:31 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by arfrieman
I have a 2005 C6 with 80K miles and bad shocks. Can I replace the grossly expensive electronically controlled shocks with aftermarket shocks? I don't care about the 'Cruise/Sport' switch which never seemed to make a difference anyway, but I don't want to screw up the suspension.

Arnie
Yes, you just need simulators for the plug so the car thinks you have the.

I think LG has them.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:35 PM
arfrieman
7th Gear

Thanks, who's LG?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:42 PM
arfrieman
7th Gear

Never mind, found them.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:27 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

How did you determine that you have bad shocks?

So far, only a couple of people on this forum have reported problems with just one shock.

I have 92K on my F55 equipped '08 and no shock issues at all.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 AM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Do shocks wear out, or can they loose some of there performance? I have 87k on an 06 Z51 and thought they may be loosing their bite just from all the hard abuse. LMK
Old 09-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Shocks are certainly going to lose their luster after 50,000 miles. Over that mileage they're not going to be performing or doing the job they were when you bought it.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 09-06-2011, 03:09 PM
arfrieman
7th Gear

I started hearing some noises in the suspension and the car seemed to be scraping the front spoiler more than usual. So while the car was in the shop for an AC problem I asked them to look at the shocks and the mechanic said all four were leaking.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:59 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I started hearing some noises in the suspension and the car seemed to be scraping the front spoiler more than usual. So while the car was in the shop for an AC problem I asked them to look at the shocks and the mechanic said all four were leaking.
I would not take that mechanic's dagnosis as gospel - they love to sell parts that they think have finite life limits, are quick to swap out, and make them some fast money.

Was this at a large Chevy dealership with a lot of MSRC/F55 experience???

If not, I'd completely disregard his comments about leaks. They wouldn't even know what they're dealing with if the mechanic isn't a GM Tech trained on the F55/MSRC.

You can swap to regular valved shocks, but the MSRC is a really nice system and there a very, very few credible reports here on the forum of failures of the magnetorheological shocks failing.

Instead of the LG simulators, I'd recommend just going to a dealer and get them to de-program the F55 with their Tech 2.

Just MHO, YMMV!!

Bob
Old 09-06-2011, 04:02 PM
99c54me
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arnie, I suggest you get another opinion. A small amount of oil on the shock is often more than enough for some to say they need replacing. But the truth is a small amount of oil on the shock is not indicative of your shocks needing replacement. The mag ride shocks work differently than a typical shock.. don't get suckered.

If you are scraping than maybe the ride height simply needs adjusting. After so many years/miles the springs do sag a bit and can easily be adjusted up to spec height.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:19 PM
billsee
Instructor

Default F55 shock failure

Arnie
I have F55 shocks on 2007 MN6. The ride was going to hell at 15,000 miles. Took it to the dealer and mechanic said they were leaking and ordered replacements. GM came back a week later and said "leakage is normal" and refused to replace them.

The ride has continued to degrade, it rides like a truck. I suspect the computer has it on full-hard. As bad as my 2005 Z51. Noises come from the back suspension from even little ridges at the edges of driveways. two dealers looked at it and can't find anything wrong (NOT sway bar links). Shocks?

Last week, while on a cross-country drive, a "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message came on. I'm going to make one more dealer pass at this but can guarantee I'm NOT going to pay double the retain price of the F55 option to replace them.

OK, I vented. Do you have any good ideas what you're going to do next?
Don't want stiff Z51 again.

Regards - Billsee

Get notified of new replies

To Can I replace electronic shocks with after market shocks?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I replace electronic shocks with after market shocks?