C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak

Old 08-13-2011, 02:21 AM
JONS 07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak

The procedure to fix this problem,
was somwhat disturbing. I took my
07 with 8K miles in for the oil pan leak.
The real troubling part was that the GM
procedure covered Corvettes from 2005
thru 2011.

This seems to indicate a problem that GM
has known about for 6 yrs, also, it can include
thier "hand bulit Wixom Engine".

I lucked out, as the Service Manage at the
dealership was a friend , and has taken care
of every TSB that pertains to this car.

Anyway, I would suggest you get under your
car one way or another and start looking for
weeping oil pan nuts, oil pans with oil running
from the front to back or leaks at the rear of
the pan gasket and /or oil stains on the pan itself.

This is an expensive repair if you are out of warranty,
around $2300+". They have to drop the entire front
cradle to get-to-and -fix-the -oil-pan leak.
After putting the car back together, they have to
reset the tow, SOME people think they get a free 4 way allignment...not so...adjust tow ONLY...as per GM
repair instructions.

Anyway, if you are still under Warranty, get under
the car and look, even it is 2011.

This is the same-o-same-o That GM has been pulling
for years. They have know about this since 2005, it
now reach's all the way to 2011.

Just say'n ...take a look under your car. They
aren't legally, nor does this qualify as "recall",
but bet you wallet they are waiting for your
warranty to run out before you notice an "oil
well " under your car.

I have more info on this, if anyone is interested
send me a PM.

Jon
Old 08-13-2011, 08:37 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes it's a problem and already had my 06 done... out of warranty of course! However mine was done by a authorized Chevy dealership and it cost me under a grand! Have no idea why your dealer would be claiming over 2 grand for a MAX 10 hour job? Yes it's a fairly complex job but GM allows about 8 hours (book).. not 20 hours. Now unless your dealership is charging 200 bucks an hour I fail to see how it could cost over 2 grand? Seems a little steep to me even with WA prices...

You are correct in that GM should have long since fixed this problem design because MANY LSx engines eventually develop this type of oil leak. Guess GM figures most owners will be out of warranty BEFORE it happens.... so it will be the customers dime!!

Keep in mind that on LSx engines the pan is considered part of the structural block integrity and is used to increase over all strength! It however should be a relative easy design change to fix this extremely annoying problem. It really BLOWS to have a nice vette leaking oil for no other reason other than a poorly designed oil pan..................
Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by cthusker
Yes it's a problem and already had my 06 done... out of warranty of course! However mine was done by a authorized Chevy dealership and it cost me under a grand! Have no idea why your dealer would be claiming over 2 grand for a MAX 10 hour job? Yes it's a fairly complex job but GM allows about 8 hours (book).. not 20 hours. Now unless your dealership is charging 200 bucks an hour I fail to see how it could cost over 2 grand? Seems a little steep to me even with WA prices...

You are correct in that GM should have long since fixed this problem design because MANY LSx engines eventually develop this type of oil leak. Guess GM figures most owners will be out of warranty BEFORE it happens.... so it will be the customers dime!!

Keep in mind that on LSx engines the pan is considered part of the structural block integrity and is used to increase over all strength! It however should be a relative easy design change to fix this extremely annoying problem. It really BLOWS to have a nice vette leaking oil for no other reason other than a poorly designed oil pan..................
I will also add that I got mine ('07) done under warranty and they did do a front end alignment, it is on the invoice.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:09 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

My 07 (5,800 mile GQ) has had this leak for two plus years now. I keep it on a lift so i have to see it constantly. I just can't bring myself to take it to the dealer for the complicated fix. I'm going to remove and seal the pan screws with 242 and see if that will help. Bummer that GM won't fix this BEFORE they sell the cars (i.e. = redesign). My five years is coming up in January.

Last edited by jimmie jam; 08-13-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:04 AM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, I'll pay more attention to things under there when I do the first oil change.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:16 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What I find more interesting is the inconsistency of build standards where things like the oil leak noted occurs on some? many? LS engines then there are ones like mine...I changed the oil and filter this week and took this pic (always document just in case something does happen)...not a nary of oil leaking and very little evidence of the porous oil pan syndrome>>

My C6 is a 2005 (took delivery in Nov 2004) but is a low mileage car.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:30 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
I changed the oil and filter this week and took this pic (always document just in case something does happen)...not a nary of oil leaking and very little evidence of the porous oil pan syndrome>>

That does not look like a porous oil pan. you have seepage from the gasket area just like mine (mine is worse). you can tell by the discoloration pattern. A porous pan would be "wet" all over. That being said, yours looks fine if you've never cleaned the pan surface. I wish mine looked like that.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:21 AM
radbluesfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I will also add that I got mine ('07) done under warranty and they did do a front end alignment, it is on the invoice.
I just had this done on my 2007 with 13500 miles. It was no charge warranty at the dealer. They just replaced and re-torched the pan bolts. I have dye in my oil and will re-check after I get a thousand or so miles. Their warranty work has a 12 month warranty on itself. My 5 year coverage will expire before then. The service manager stated that if an oil pan/gasket replacement was involved that a front toe adjustment would be provided---not a 4 wheel alignment. I read a lot of threads after I first noticed my oil pan wet spot and there seems to be a some confusion whether it is a toe adjustment or alignment---I'm still not sure. I have had perfect tire wear and hope the pan bolts were my fix because I am not sure I want to take a chance of creating more problems by replacing the pan or gasket. I never had a drop of oil on my garage floor or a low dipstick level----only saw oil on the pan during my last oil change.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:56 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

when done to my '08 last year, the pan was replaced and no alignment done. tech said he'd done many and knew how to mark the cradle and front end parts to reassemble w/o needing an alignment. he was correct. he also completed the work in just under 5 hours. warranty work.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:04 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Interesting that the cars with the leaks seem to be mostly garage queens.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:27 PM
JONS 07
Racer

You are probably correct on the amount they actually billed GM
for the repair.

I had 2 front tires replaced, a 4-way alignment,
a rear speaker replaced and a DRL Light replaced,
the front air dam replaced and a couple of interior lights,
with taxe that came to around a thousand, if you
subtract that, the balance was about a thousand
they billed GM for the oil leak repair.

Didn't intend to mislead anyone on the actual repair
cost, I hope this explains it.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:32 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't noticed anything on mine, and I hope I don't.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:54 PM
a_drogan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2007 purchased April 2007, 16K miles

When I brought my car in for an oil change, about 4 weeks ago, to a Chevy dealer, the service writer (SW) said I had an oil pan leak and would need a new gasket.
Me: how much?
SW: let me look it up, $1,000.00, (8 hour labor, $45 part)
Me: Is this covered under the five year warranty?
SW: No
Me: Go home and search CF, aha, it is covered. Call back SW who gets back to me with: Yes it would be covered I just would have to call GM first.
Me: do you have a corvette tech?
SW: No, a qualified tech would be assigned. Have to leave the car 1-2 days.

So now what, the dealer is Maroone in Lake Worth FL. Do I trust them, go elsewhere? There are a couple of other dealers with 25 miles, including another Maroone dealership.

As others have stated, this is an ongoing problem which most of us just never notice. Thank G-d it will be covered, but I think I will always be worried that they screw up something else.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:01 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
Bummer that GM won't fix this BEFORE they sell the cars (i.e. = redesign). My five years is coming up in January.
GM almost never fixes a problem, as long as they have parts on hand or already ordered. They will continue to install know problem parts until they run out. Seems like a terrible thing to say, but I have seen it over and over. If there is only a small chance of a life threatening situation, or of law suits, they will use 'em up.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:58 PM
radbluesfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by a_drogan
2007 purchased April 2007, 16K miles

When I brought my car in for an oil change, about 4 weeks ago, to a Chevy dealer, the service writer (SW) said I had an oil pan leak and would need a new gasket.
Me: how much?
SW: let me look it up, $1,000.00, (8 hour labor, $45 part)
Me: Is this covered under the five year warranty?
SW: No
Me: Go home and search CF, aha, it is covered. Call back SW who gets back to me with: Yes it would be covered I just would have to call GM first.
Me: do you have a corvette tech?
SW: No, a qualified tech would be assigned. Have to leave the car 1-2 days.

So now what, the dealer is Maroone in Lake Worth FL. Do I trust them, go elsewhere? There are a couple of other dealers with 25 miles, including another Maroone dealership.

As others have stated, this is an ongoing problem which most of us just never notice. Thank G-d it will be covered, but I think I will always be worried that they screw up something else.
I might look for a new dealer for this job. The fact that they said it was not covered throws up red flags. It is specifically mentioned in the power train warranty in reference to oil leaks and oil pan leaks. I bought my car used 1000 miles from my dealer. I cannot say how pleased I was with my experience. I went there on a Friday, came back Monday morning without an appointment (they told me to just come in early and they would work me in), got a ride home, and 3 1/2 hours later they came and picked me up to pick up my car. I had never been to this place before. I had much better piece of mind knowing I did not have to fight for my warranty work.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Now that the cars have a 5/100 powertrain warranty and, I'm told, the leaks are being fixed under that provision; GM is gonna start taking it in the shorts for not developing a production fix. Good.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Interesting that the cars with the leaks seem to be mostly garage queens.
Sigh...
33k miles in two years, got the drips.
2009 Coupe.

Maybe I drove it too much.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leak

Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

How do you know the oil pan is leaking and not some other part? The oil pan gasket can leak, the front cover seal can leak and the main bearing cross bolts can leak. Just because the oil pan is wet it doesn't mean it is the oil pan that is leaking. The leak on my LS7 was from the front cover seal.

Bill
Old 08-13-2011, 11:29 PM
radbluesfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How do you know the oil pan is leaking and not some other part? The oil pan gasket can leak, the front cover seal can leak and the main bearing cross bolts can leak. Just because the oil pan is wet it doesn't mean it is the oil pan that is leaking. The leak on my LS7 was from the front cover seal.

Bill
In my case it was noticed during an oil change. We cleaned the area as well as we could and added dye to the oil. I drove a couple hundred miles before seeing the dealer. It was clear the oil was coming from the rear pan bolts. I have read about oil leaks in other places as well. I went with the dye in hopes of getting it pinpointed on the first try.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:55 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Sigh...
33k miles in two years, got the drips.
2009 Coupe.

Maybe I drove it too much.
I've got 68K on mine......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leak