C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery life?

Old 08-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Archias
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery life?

I bought my first Corvette (08) recently, also my first keyless start vehicle. I read about some issues with the key fob draining the battery if left near the car.

Well I was supposed to be out of state for just a couple weeks, but now that will be well over a month. I have my keys in the room next to the garage, thin walls however. Do I need to be worried?

I can get someone to remove the keys if necessary, but it would be a hassle. How long does that drain usually take?

Also, how does it usually take the Corvette's battery to die if if its not started even without the keyfob nearby? I drive OTR so the car will be stored for often weeks on end.

/thingsishouldknowbeforestoringcarandleav ing
Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The story about a nearby fob draining the battery, was started by people who don't understand how the car works. Sometimes, ignorant dealerships.

The car and fob batteries only go to work for a moment when someone pushes a button- on the fob (like Lock or Unlock) or on the car (like a door handle, or Start button).

So, leaving your fob near the car will cause no problems at all. My wife's fob is in her purse near our car and we've had no problems for 6 years. (2006 and now 2009 Corvette)

The electronics in the car do have some "parasitic" drain, and it seems to vary from car to car. If you battery is in good shape, it should be good for a couple of weeks or more, ours has sat that long even in winter with a two year old battery and no tender.

You can prolong the life of your battery and avoid the annoyance of no-starts, by using a battery tender of some sort. CTEK is very popular and they are even sold as a GM accesory, but there are other good ones also.

Enjoy your car!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:00 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The story about a nearby fob draining the battery, was started by people who don't understand how the car works. Sometimes, ignorant dealerships.

The car and fob batteries only go to work for a moment when someone pushes a button- on the fob (like Lock or Unlock) or on the car (like a door handle, or Start button).

So, leaving your fob near the car will cause no problems at all. My wife's fob is in her purse near our car and we've had no problems for 6 years. (2006 and now 2009 Corvette)

The electronics in the car do have some "parasitic" drain, and it seems to vary from car to car. If you battery is in good shape, it should be good for a couple of weeks or more, ours has sat that long even in winter with a two year old battery and no tender.

You can prolong the life of your battery and avoid the annoyance of no-starts, by using a battery tender of some sort. CTEK is very popular and they are even sold as a GM accesory, but there are other good ones also.

Enjoy your car!
I had a C4 that would lock and unlock as you moved around the car with the fob in your pocket. I finally disabled that feature but I suppose if you were doing yardwork and continually locked and unlocked the car it could cause some drain on the battery.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned three corvettes and never had a problem with a dead battery. They were all daily drivers though. They are no different from any other car in that if you drive them the battery stays charged, if you don't then you may have a problem. Actually the only problem i have had with a battery in the last 30 years was the one on my 08 Ford truck, battery replaced after 6 months under warranty.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jimb100
I had a C4 that would lock and unlock as you moved around the car with the fob in your pocket. I finally disabled that feature but I suppose if you were doing yardwork and continually locked and unlocked the car it could cause some drain on the battery.
Not on the C6. Please reread the previous post.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

These cars have a lot of "dark" current, or drain. Get a Battery Tender and use it whenever the car won't be driven for a day or two.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fob batteries aren't very expensive, and just a good idea replacing them every couple years. Car main batteries really arent that expensive either in the scheme of things either, and really wouldnt recommend going more than 4-5 years, with the electric entry and such. Main problem is, the electronics system drain with the car just sitting there. If the cars going to be sitting for more than a couple weeks, good idea putting a battery tender on it.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:31 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

Enjoy your car!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There's no telling how your battery will fare, it varies from car to car. I've never had issues with my 2005 (even when it sits idle for 3 or 4 weeks) but others have problems after a few days. I've never used a battery tender but a lot of people do. If your car has a lot of down time you might want one. I wouldn't worry...if it doesn't start this time it'll probably jump-start easily. Keep a good thought.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

+1 on Battery Tenders.

I have seen some threads on this forum for very clean cable installations. Such as exiting through the rear license plate area for easy hook up.

I haven't had an issue w/ drain. Longest time w/o a start was near 3 weeks.

So, I'd vote that if you are going out of town for more than a week...hook up a tender.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

I really wouldn't worry about it now. Since you aren't at home there really isn't anything you can do about it. I leave my fobs in the room next to the garage all the time and the car sits there for periods of up to 4 weeks and still starts when temps are 20 degrees in the garage. If you shut the car off properly when you left it then there is a high probability it will start when you get home. Not sure I would want a friend hooking up a battery tender without knowing exactly what they were doing when they did it.

Bill
Old 08-09-2011, 01:05 PM
johan gouws
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
There's no telling how your battery will fare, it varies from car to car. I've never had issues with my 2005 (even when it sits idle for 3 or 4 weeks) but others have problems after a few days. I've never used a battery tender but a lot of people do. If your car has a lot of down time you might want one. I wouldn't worry...if it doesn't start this time it'll probably jump-start easily. Keep a good thought.
Same with my '05. Not tendered, sits idle for 3 weeks sometimes yet has never failed to start. I'm getting worried that it probably is closing in on its end and may leave me stranded at an awkward time. Wondering if it should be replaced just in case...?

Get notified of new replies

To Battery life?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery life?