C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power steering pump/pulley 94 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:25 PM
xphnmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump/pulley 94 LT1

My son came over and we replaced the serpentine belt on my 94 LT1 yesterday and after installing the new belt an engine startup was in order to make sure it was seated properly. I got in and started the engine while my son watched the belt to make sure all was well. As he watched the new belt he looked up and signalled me to shut it down. I did and asked him if there was a problem and he said it looked like the power steering pulley was wobbling. We examined the belt and all looked ok so I started the engine again and got out and looked myself and there did seem to be a noticeable wobble but only on the p/s pulley. There were no noises (squealing or growl) so we decided to just wait and see. I shut the engine off and we put everything away and then he went home.. After mulling it over I'm a little concerned but then this morning he called me and said while working on his L98 Vette he noticed a similar wobble on his p/s pump pulley. He said it didn't seem to wobble as much as mine but did indeed wobble a bit. So, my question is, is there some wobble on all or most of these pulleys and should I be concerned? Also is tere a way to check the runout on it? Maybe take the belt off and use a dial indicator on a magnetic base?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:17 AM
Shock96
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No wobble on mine.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:53 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

The "wobble" is caused when some one tried to remove or replace the pulley and did not use the pulley removal tool

This is what you need to remove and fit a new pulley

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kasta...motiveQ5fTools

Its the only way to do it properly , using a bearing puller will warp the pulley.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Shock96
No wobble on mine.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:17 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

replace the pully...
Old 08-01-2011, 07:33 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Power Steering Pulley- Removal

Originally Posted by gerardvg
The "wobble" is caused when some one tried to remove or replace the pulley and did not use the pulley removal tool

This is what you need to remove and fit a new pulley

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kasta...motiveQ5fTools

Its the only way to do it properly , using a bearing puller will warp the pulley.

My pulley is held on by a 3/8 allen bolt. It looks as if you could unscrew the allen bolt and take it right off with a hex key.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering pump/pulley 94 LT1

Quick Reply: Power steering pump/pulley 94 LT1