Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 with a flat plane crank?

Old 04-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS7 with a flat plane crank?

Would it be possible, when rebuilding an LS7, to build up the motor with a flat plane crank as opposed to the standard cross plane crank that comes with the stock motor? As far as I know, no matter what exhaust, headers, etc you use, the cross plane crank is the primary reason we can never get that wild sound you expect from a high end exotic or a real racing motors. Most high end motors, and practically all racing motors (except NASCAR of course), use flat plane cranks while cheaper less exotic engines (i.e. everything from trucks to vettes) use cross plane.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:05 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
Would it be possible, when rebuilding an LS7, to build up the motor with a flat plane crank as opposed to the standard cross plane crank that comes with the stock motor? As far as I know, no matter what exhaust, headers, etc you use, the cross plane crank is the primary reason we can never get that wild sound you expect from a high end exotic or a real racing motors. Most high end motors, and practically all racing motors (except NASCAR of course), use flat plane cranks while cheaper less exotic engines (i.e. everything from trucks to vettes) use cross plane.
Simply put, you will need to find room for a balance shaft

Instead of trying to re-engineer the engine, just make a recording of your engine of choice and play it continuously while driving, far cheaper.

And I wouldn't call the LS7 less exotic than other high end engines, but certainly less cumbersome and easier to work it.

What other manufacture produces a 427 CI engine for street use..... ?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Originally Posted by glenB
Simply put, you will need to find room for a balance shaft

Instead of trying to re-engineer the engine, just make a recording of your engine of choice and play it continuously while driving, far cheaper.

And I wouldn't call the LS7 less exotic than other high end engines, but certainly less cumbersome and easier to work it.

What other manufacture produces a 427 CI engine for street use..... ?
Well, it's true, no other high end manufacturer produces a 427 for street use, but maybe that's because companies like Ferrari are already getting 550 HP out of a smaller 274 CI engine. Of course, in that context you might still try to claim that the LS7 is not less exotic, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Here's a link to someone trying to do something similar:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...179471&page=25

Looks like it's just a lot easier to buy a proper flat plane crank engine in the first place. Or I could just get the recording
Old 04-30-2011, 06:25 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Well, it's true, no other high end manufacturer produces a 427 for street use, but maybe that's because companies like Ferrari are already getting 550 HP out of a smaller 274 CI engine. Of course, in that context you might still try to claim that the LS7 is not less exotic, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Here's a link to someone trying to do something similar:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...179471&page=25

Looks like it's just a lot easier to buy a proper flat plane crank engine in the first place. Or I could just get the recording
That was 4 years ago, any follow up?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:03 AM
jgaches
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no other high end manufacturer produces a 427 for street use, but maybe that's because companies like Ferrari are already getting 550 HP out of a smaller 274 CI engine. Of course, in that context you might still try to claim that the LS7 is not less exotic, whatever floats your boat I guess.
550hp with far less torque. The F car is an exotic piece but judged by size and weight vs output, the LS7 holds its own against much more "exotic" pumps out there.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:47 AM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Originally Posted by glenB
That was 4 years ago, any follow up?
Seems not, so I'm guessing somebody else already figured out this isn't going to happen.

550hp with far less torque.
True enough, however in the context of horsepower, torque is irrelevant to performance. Through the magic of gearing, a 510 HP engine with 100 lb-ft of torque will outperform a a 500 HP engine with 1000 lb-ft of torque.

I'd rather have a Z06 for $60k than the latest F-car for $260k, especially since I've never gone up against a Ferrari and lost at the track. That being said, the Ferrari 458 is a hell of a car and beats the Z06 in every way imaginable, but I don't think it's worth 4X the price. Damn the engine on that thing sounds good though, especially when it's hooked up to headers and straight pipes!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:31 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Seems not, so I'm guessing somebody else already figured out this isn't going to happen.

True enough, however in the context of horsepower, torque is irrelevant to performance. Through the magic of gearing, a 510 HP engine with 100 lb-ft of torque will outperform a a 500 HP engine with 1000 lb-ft of torque.

I'd rather have a Z06 for $60k than the latest F-car for $260k, especially since I've never gone up against a Ferrari and lost at the track. That being said, the Ferrari 458 is a hell of a car and beats the Z06 in every way imaginable, but I don't think it's worth 4X the price. Damn the engine on that thing sounds good though, especially when it's hooked up to headers and straight pipes!
You forgot to add that it takes RPM, very high RPM, to be able to use the short gearing needed to get the at the wheels torque up. That high rpm comes at a price.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
You forgot to add that it takes RPM, very high RPM, to be able to use the short gearing needed to get the at the wheels torque up. That high rpm comes at a price.
Oh I didn't forget; you are right, it does take a lot of RPM to get that wheel torque up at speed, in the case of the 458 it means we get a 9k (!) RPM redline. But then there's the sticker price and maintenance price of the 458. I guess you get what you pay for. But that spectacular sound of a 9k RPM flat crank V8, well that's something special and well worth the price of entry
Old 05-01-2011, 06:37 PM
dstiger
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Oh I didn't forget; you are right, it does take a lot of RPM to get that wheel torque up at speed, in the case of the 458 it means we get a 9k (!) RPM redline. But then there's the sticker price and maintenance price of the 458. I guess you get what you pay for. But that spectacular sound of a 9k RPM flat crank V8, well that's something special and well worth the price of entry
My LS7 makes awesome music on the throttle running to redline!

Last edited by dstiger; 05-01-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: diction
Old 05-01-2011, 08:57 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Is it possible: yes--albeit very expensive a custom forged steel billet crank would be the ticket--and you also have to get a cam shaft manufactured for the flat-palned-ness. After machining, you may find that the crank only weighs in at 60% the weight of the cross plane crank due to the way the balance weights are distributed.

Sound: There is another stumbling block in the LS engine architecture. The ports are not shaped to give great sound (like FORD Coyote engines) either. Then there is that little thing about valve opening and closing rates with pushrods that gets in the way.

Vibration: You will not need a balance shaft as the engine vibartions are only 4X more energy (2X transverse movements) than the cross plane crank. Those liking the smooth ride of the CPC need not apply.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:12 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

I was just doing some research into this myself. Sound was part of it, but from what I'm reading here and other places, a flat plane crank would give me a higher redline?
Yes, I would have to use stronger push-rods, probably rockers etc, but in the end would I actually benefit from it?

The only reason I could think of increasing the redline is if the cams etc where matched to give me a wider power curve, and maybe spinning up even faster.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,430 Likes on 2,268 Posts

IMO the sound of a flat plane crank is inferior.

To each their own, tho.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are really interested in the sound, the easiest thing to do is carve a hole in your passenger floorboard and inner fender well and build a 180 degree header. Of course, you would also need 50-55 inch primary pipes. I used to race against a guy that had a 180 degree header on his 283 cu in 57 Chevy Super Stocker. It sounded like a gazillion rpm but I don't think it was worth the effort as far as horsepower goes.
Gary
Old 06-28-2011, 12:59 AM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

As a non mechanic, I had no idea what this thread was about so I did what I usually do, I googled it. Looking at the difference between the 2 it looks like the cross plane would be better as a cylinder would fire every 90 degrees and the flat plane would have the cylinders firing 2 at a time every 180 degrees. Would that not cause a loss in torque. The crank would have to travel twice as far on the power stroke than the cross plane crank, granted it would be doing so from the power of 2 cylinders. Oh, did I make it clear that I am "NOT" a mechanic in any form so don't beat me up if any of what I typed is completely wrong.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 AM
PaintballaXX
Pro

Idk how much more rpm you would get, that might be a valve train limitation. You might gain power from the weight savings of the crank alone (depending on how a power measurement is done). The real advantage would be the increase in exhaust scavenging (and therefor power). Same with the intake if it was redesigned to take advantage of the new firing order.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:15 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

This $#!+ is making me . What is exhaust scavenging?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAKsPop
This $#!+ is making me . What is exhaust scavenging?
Google or Yahoo search "exhaust gas 1/2 wave and 1/4 wave tuning"...you'll get more reading than you ever thought possible.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 with a flat plane crank?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:15 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAKsPop
As a non mechanic, I had no idea what this thread was about so I did what I usually do, I googled it. Looking at the difference between the 2 it looks like the cross plane would be better as a cylinder would fire every 90 degrees and the flat plane would have the cylinders firing 2 at a time every 180 degrees. Would that not cause a loss in torque. The crank would have to travel twice as far on the power stroke than the cross plane crank, granted it would be doing so from the power of 2 cylinders. Oh, did I make it clear that I am "NOT" a mechanic in any form so don't beat me up if any of what I typed is completely wrong.
Both crankshafts have a cylinder firing every 90° with the flat plane firing alternating banks LRLRLRLR while the cross plane has two pairs of cylinders on each bank firing in succession in the firing order LRLLRLRR. That's what makes exhaust tuning so difficult on a cross plane V8 and so easy on the flat plane V8.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Both crankshafts have a cylinder firing every 90° with the flat plane firing alternating banks LRLRLRLR while the cross plane has two pairs of cylinders on each bank firing in succession in the firing order LRLLRLRR. That's what makes exhaust tuning so difficult on a cross plane V8 and so easy on the flat plane V8.
It's also, I believe, the main reason you can hear that smooth, race-engine-like sound of a flat plane crank coming from a mile away. I've got a good video i'll try to post later tonight that exactly illustrates what I'm talking about.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:53 PM
jsilvz
Racer

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Great explanation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 with a flat plane crank?