Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Good reason to replace rear control arm bushings

Old 06-21-2011, 04:12 AM
TDiLisio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good reason to replace rear control arm bushings

These didn't "look" bad when they were mounted on the car, but this is what I found when I went to replace them. Glad I did. The metal wasn't damaged. From a 1984.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2011, 05:02 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What made you decide to change the bushings? Any symtoms or you just decide it was probly time to do it?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Just another reason for me to install my bushing set that has been on the shelf for 6 years.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 AM
C4orce2
Racer

I have a '92 with an automatic. Each time I put it in gear or put a little pressure on the rear end there is a click from the left rear. Once I'm rolling down the road there is no noise at all, just one click when pressure is first applied to the rear end. I've had all the u-joints checked out and everything looks fine. One mechanic thinks I need to replace the bushings in the rear. Did you have those symtoms on your car?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 AM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm replacing the rear bushing on my 87 as I type this, reason is to have the rear end lined up. Can't really do the job with bad bushings strut bushings were shot. Also changed out the shocks looking forward to seeing the difference. You should check your swaybar end link bushings also they go bad before the dogbone & strut bars do.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:56 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

big difference, use alot of marine grease, really painful job though....but worth it, mostly labor, the bushings don't cost much....mark the camber position first with white out....
Old 06-21-2011, 11:16 AM
TDiLisio
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
What made you decide to change the bushings? Any symtoms or you just decide it was probly time to do it?

Trying to bring the car back to life... It's up on Jack stands so I figured I might as well. I did the sway bar bushings (there's a set of 22 MM for sale on here someplace for B/O, I read the dial gauge wrong) ... from the responses it looks like I might as well do the differential support bar (bat wing?), while I'm at it. Not even looking forward to doing the front.

OhBTW... those end link sway bar bushings were a PITA.... like Slickfx3 said... lots of grease. I found that boiling them in water for a few minutes softened them up just enough to make it "slightly easier" to press into the hole.

Last edited by TDiLisio; 06-21-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Update Swaybar.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:35 PM
BuzzinHornets
Advanced

Originally Posted by C4orce2
I have a '92 with an automatic. Each time I put it in gear or put a little pressure on the rear end there is a click from the left rear. Once I'm rolling down the road there is no noise at all, just one click when pressure is first applied to the rear end. I've had all the u-joints checked out and everything looks fine. One mechanic thinks I need to replace the bushings in the rear. Did you have those symtoms on your car?
I have a similar symptom in my 95, along with a vibration between 45 and 75 mph. Can you please keep up updated as to what you find? It would be a great help!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:59 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

I've got the same "click" on my 92 when I do that. Did poly bushings last year, and confirmed that U-joints and wheel bearings are good, but click is still there. From what I've read on the forum in the past, it could be the teflon washer in the rear bearing assembly.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:37 AM
C4orce2
Racer

Originally Posted by BuzzinHornets
I have a similar symptom in my 95, along with a vibration between 45 and 75 mph. Can you please keep up updated as to what you find? It would be a great help!
I will let you know what I eventually find out. So far 4 shops, including two corvette shops, have looked at it and can't figure it out. I'll show them 92ragtop's idea and see if that is it. Right now it does not seem to be getting worse and everyone has told me that whatever it is it does not seem to be a safety issue. I probably will not spend much money trying to figure it out unless it gets worse. I have no vibrations or noise at all, just the click, but I hate having something wrong with the car after I have spent so much money on the new engine.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:29 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

I will let you know what I eventually find out. So far 4 shops, including two corvette shops, have looked at it and can't figure it out. I'll show them 92ragtop's idea and see if that is it. Right now it does not seem to be getting worse and everyone has told me that whatever it is it does not seem to be a safety issue. I probably will not spend much money trying to figure it out unless it gets worse. I have no vibrations or noise at all, just the click, but I hate having something wrong with the car after I have spent so much money on the new engine.
its probably not any one big thing; on our aging cars, a lot of little things add up, Just the fact that our cars have IRS is that many more things to wear and sources of noise. But don't be discouraged, suspension work (at least on the rear of these cars) is easy. and in corvette terms, relatively inexpensive. It really brings these cars back to life , performance wise. Good luck; there are dozens of threads dealing with suspension and drive shaft issues.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
I've got the same "click" on my 92 when I do that. Did poly bushings last year, and confirmed that U-joints and wheel bearings are good, but click is still there. From what I've read on the forum in the past, it could be the teflon washer in the rear bearing assembly.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by enventr
could someone expand on where exactly are these teflon washers, and their function ? thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

use the "search" key and type in "teflon rear axle washers" .that should explain in detail
Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
could someone expand on where exactly are these teflon washers, and their function ? thanks
The teflon washers fit between the spindle nut and the hub, as shown.

Installed ...

A better look ...

Steven

Last edited by OldCorvetteFan; 06-23-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:44 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

From my old 84....

[img][/img]
Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 AM
C4orce2
Racer

Originally Posted by enventr
use the "search" key and type in "teflon rear axle washers" .that should explain in detail
Great help! I did the search and found a thread entitled "Its the washers" which was started back in 2007. That explained everything about this problem. I took the info to Loud Pedal Motorsports in Tempe, AZ, and they have ordered the parts and we are scheduling the fix (I have a hard time replacing light bulbs). Thanks for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Good reason to replace rear control arm bushings

Old 06-24-2011, 02:28 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan
The fit between the spindle nut and the hub, as shown.

Installed ...

A better look ...

Steven
Steven,
That is not the location of the teflon washers
They fit on the spline inside between the bearing & yoke
They have nothing to do with the washer you show
Here you can see where they go

Last edited by floridamale; 06-24-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:35 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by floridamale
Steven,
That is not the location of the teflon washers
They fit on the spline inside between the bearing & yoke
They have nothing to do with the washer you show
Here you can see where they go

You're absolutely right. I was thinking 'teflon washer' then saw the axle nut washer when I was reviewing my photo album.

My mistake!

Steven
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

I have a '96 and the left rear bushing is rotten. Had suspected this for a while, I do not enjoy the squishy hard to predict feel of the rear end at the limit.. Will replace all with poly as soon as I drum up the courage to take my car apart

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good reason to replace rear control arm bushings