C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer cable lubing

Old 06-19-2011, 05:36 PM
KHW34
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedometer cable lubing

ok speedo started making a clicking sound not all of the time but every once in awhile usually at a higher speed, i bought a tool from ecklers i believe that fits on cable end and you can lube it. ok got end off which wasnt too easy , sprayed what i could of some cable lube spray in, i dont think much went inside though then what i figured not toomuch lube maybe 10 pumps ok now i take out no click but needle jumps around which it has never done, it did jump a little always up to about 15 mph but now , i say now i just did it today bounces +/- 5 mph, now not sure if the lube has totally warmed up or spread inside housing , i did drive maybe 7 miles or so still bounced, i guess the question is are we toast or will it level off with time? inside may have been junked up new lube isnt doing it , was hoping this would work and avoid getting behind sppedo
Old 06-19-2011, 09:27 PM
19Vette78
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the same problem. I read that you are supposed to lube the cable from bottom end up 3/4 of the way and reinstall. You can disconnect the cable from the back of the speedo and pull the inner cable out, lube it up and reinstall. I tried that route before replacing the cable. It still bounced so I replaced my cable altogether and still have the bouncing anywhere from 5 to 15 mph.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:54 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Lubrication of the cables will cause premature failure in the speedo or tachometer. The cable is reverse wound and will push the grease in the head. Doesn't sound bad, but the first worm bushing is an oylite bushing... they don't like grease.

Here is what GM suggested we do about lubing..

http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=283

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-19-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:10 PM
KHW34
Instructor

i really didnt think i put that much in and it was bouncing the first 10 feet after i did it , may have though so what would be the best deal just to install a whole new cable? and hope the speedometer is fine
Old 06-19-2011, 11:40 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

First of all, you don't really have any idea of what the cause of the original symptoms was. So, I think the best thing to do is unclip the speedo cable from the back side of the speedometer ( you can get to it without too much trouble), then pull the cable out and clean it well with mineral spririts, lacquer thinner, or other volatile cleaner. Then just put a bit of graphite lube on a lint-free shop towel and wipe that on the entire length of the cable. You need very little of that graphite to lubricate the cable. I wouldn't try to clean out the cable housing, just clean and lube the cable and reinstall it. See what happens. If it keeps hopping around, replace the cable and keep your fingers crossed.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 AM
jr105
Instructor

If you're sure it is the cable just replace it. They aren't expensive and you only do the job once. I tried lubing mine and it worked for a couple of months. Then I replaced the cable as I should have in the begining.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:04 PM
KHW34
Instructor

Cable ordered with new firewall gromet , now i guess i just have to battle the clip on the back of the speedometer thanks for help guys
Old 06-20-2011, 08:55 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

some times the cable ends get rounded that can cause the jumping up and down .the fix is new ends or a new cable .i would check the cruse control.the cable from the trany to the cc you can put all the grease you want on and should not have a problem.the cable to the speedo i would only use a light coating of graphite.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:37 PM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

check the cruise control also for a rounded inlet. or the cable not inserted all the way inside it correctly. that was wrong with mine.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:16 AM
KHW34
Instructor

DOesnt have cruise i dont think they had it way back then on a vette , i think the problem is that when the cable gets old and dried on the inside you cant "lube" it . maybe if you remove he inner cable and soak it but you still have dried lube in tube and after all that trouble you might as well spend 25.00 and replace the whole thing . my problem was the clip on back i gave it a 50% effort to reach behind but since new cable wasnt in yet i will wait, i got my hand on clip and pushed down but it didnt want to release
Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Have a helper pull on the cable from under the hood while you press the clip under the dash.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Lubrication of the cables will cause premature failure in the speedo or tachometer. The cable is reverse wound and will push the grease in the head. Doesn't sound bad, but the first worm bushing is an oylite bushing... they don't like grease.

Here is what GM suggested we do about lubing..

http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=283
thanks for that bit of info

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer cable lubing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedometer cable lubing