Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend doubtful of Detroit Bureau

Old 06-16-2011, 09:28 AM
stic5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor Trend doubtful of Detroit Bureau

The following was published on Motor Trend's website today although I must admit that I was excited about the engine the Detroit Bureau previously outlined, I would tend to trust Motor Trend's analysis of their's:

Mark Reuss' statement that the C7 Corvette will be "completely different" from the C6 and C5 has unleashed volumes of irrational speculation. For example, the Detroit Bureau is reporting that GM is developing a new 3.0-liter turbocharged overhead-cam V-8 for the C7, expected within two years.

That is completely different, and GM would have to plan this engine for such rear-drive cars as the upcoming Cadillac ATS, possibly the next CTS, and the Camaro to make it feasible. As someone close to the C7 project said, "We're here to make money." The prospect of GM working on an all-new V-8 two years after bankruptcy, less than three years after it canceled its last OHC V-8 program, and four years before a 35.5-mpg Corporate Average Fuel Economy standard seems like a long shot.

We don't have a confirmed denial of the new V-8, though we can dispense with at least three rumors right off:

1. No rear-mid-engine. While GM engineers have discussed that possibility for every Corvette since the C3, the latest iteration of that idea left with Bob Lutz, who is now working for mid-engine sports car company Lotus. Even now, GM is in no position to spend such money for the C7 go-around.

2. It will not have a base supercharged or turbocharged V-6. Likewise, the above budget constraints rule out any exotic hybrid system. GM already has cars like the Chevy Volt to carry the green/fuel-efficient car mantle.

3. The C7 will not be Wankel rotary-powered. See number 1.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Just read this too. Sit back and listen for the backwash. I do agree the mid year for the C7 is out, and so is the six cylidner....you notice they keep showing the Transformer Car.... Still beleive GM secret is in the open.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:02 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by EBVette
Just read this too. Sit back and listen for the backwash. I do agree the mid year for the C7 is out, and so is the six cylidner....you notice they keep showing the Transformer Car.... Still beleive GM secret is in the open.

Me too - I don't think they'll do anything quite THAT retro!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 06-16-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-16-2011, 12:11 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Like I have said on several posts, best way to keep a secret is to put it out in the open. I truely beleive the Transformer Car both the Hardtop and Convertible is the basic design for the C7. Eliminate the large vents, and the back end with the vents, and I think you are basically looking at the C7. I know the nose emblem will be used for the C7, Tom Peters told me that when I met him at NCM couple of years ago at the 15th Anniversary when they had the car there. So all this guessing and speculation and guess what, it just might be out in the open afterall.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

I agree as well. Chevrolet would not waste money developing that Transformers car if it were for movie use only. Remember, Chevrolet is a car company, not a Hollywood film company. They are in the business of building cars to sell, and I do believe that is what they have done. I do not believe that the concept is the exact car we will be seeing at the dealership, but I do believe it is the basic design.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:41 PM
stic5
Pro

How did this thread become all about that god awful Stingray Concept? That's been beat like a dead horse an nobody really knows. We're talking about engines here.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:24 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by stic5
How did this thread become all about that god awful Stingray Concept? That's been beat like a dead horse an nobody really knows. We're talking about engines here.
Well the content itself may be about the engines, but the context with which it is given is about the C7 in general. Exterior design was mentioned in MT's article.

On the engine side of things, I'm glad the V6 is out. I am equally thrilled that mid-engine is out. Woot for front-engine (technically mid engine), V8 sports cars.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:12 PM
BMWDAD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quote from article With the car expected in early 2013 as a '14 model, the C7 hasn't yet surfaced for spy shots

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...#ixzz1PTJNtxm7
Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 PM
stic5
Pro

Originally Posted by redvette77
Well the content itself may be about the engines, but the context with which it is given is about the C7 in general. Exterior design was mentioned in MT's article.

On the engine side of things, I'm glad the V6 is out. I am equally thrilled that mid-engine is out. Woot for front-engine (technically mid engine), V8 sports cars.
I'm with you there. Hello to a fellow Kentuckian. Go Cats!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:07 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Ive always suspected that some version of the Transformer Stingray car might make production, as a C7 or C8. Obviously the front and rear of the concept need a big fix before that happens.

I could be way off though...

Part of me wants something spectacular and then the other part of me just wants to be happy with my C6.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:08 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,428 Likes on 2,268 Posts

We'll know when we know.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:18 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A small refine on your statement

Originally Posted by redvette77
I agree as well. Chevrolet would not waste money developing that Transformers car if it were for movie use only. Remember, Chevrolet is a car company, not a Hollywood film company. They are in the business of building cars to sell, and I do believe that is what they have done. I do not believe that the concept is the exact car we will be seeing at the dealership, but I do believe it is the basic design.
Somewhere on this site there's reference to a video strip of the head of GM styling giving a styling analysis of the StingRay concept car. If you can find that video strip, listen to his words very carefully. He tells exactly which of the styling themes from the StingRay are important to him! I believe those are some of the major themes that have driven the C7 design. One other aspect that will have a great influence is the wind tunnel. Low drag is needed to maintain and improve good gas milage. So, take the StingRay styling elements favored by the head of GM design and run them in a wind tunnel and I believe you've got the C7.

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend doubtful of Detroit Bureau

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor Trend doubtful of Detroit Bureau